Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [18]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [10]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warm [#permalink]
Kudos
C seems like the correct...however, i do have a question reagrding the use of "raise vs rise". i believe "raise" is followed with a direct object while "rise" can't have any direct object. in this question, "rise" is followed by "rise about 60 feet above its present height". is that considered a direct object? thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Concentration: Tuck,Cornell,Duke
 Q47  V20 GMAT 2: 560  Q45  V22
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Send PM
Re: During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warm [#permalink]
Kudos
Definitely C Short Crisp and without any Error
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 518 [1]
Given Kudos: 71
Schools: Carey '16
Send PM
Kudos
C because it sounds right.

Couldn't really tell you why (maybe it's an idiom) but you definitely need "rise" rather than "raise" and the other two that used "rise" were kind of passive voice (i guess) and wordy.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 343 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Kudos
While I was reading the question I automatically replaced "raise" with "rise". And there is only one option with "rise" which is correct and concise as well. Hence C. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
C

A&B: raise wrong

D,E: level of the sea wordy and incorrect
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 545 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Straight C.

As per MGMAT SC ... rise vs raise .... to rise is used to show a general increase in level of anything.... while raise is used for only Salary and bets .
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8532 [0]
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
devashish wrote:
Straight C.

As per MGMAT SC ... rise vs raise .... to rise is used to show a general increase in level of anything.... while raise is used for only Salary and bets .

what??
and what about RAISE YOUR HAND??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
I think raise is when a person or a force increase the level of an object, ex, raise salary, raise hands,...

Whereas rise is the subject itself going up, ex, sun rises, stock price rises
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Navy
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GMAT 1: 600 Q41 V32
GPA: 3.33
WE:Underwriter (Health Care)
Send PM
I got C for this one. Like VW said, I can only say that it sounds correct when the entire phrase is read.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
noboru wrote:
devashish wrote:
Straight C.

what??
and what about RAISE YOUR HAND??

Raise is a verb, which is always followed by direct object. i.e. some one triggers the increase.

Rise is to show that something has been increased. Eg rise in prices, rise in interest rates.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
kudos to tingle15....

i also thought that it plain wrong to use raise in this sentence. so, 3 options are out. C sounds clean and nice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
A/B RAised??? really

D- over and above??? reallly??

E- Their? WHAAAT!!! SAYYYW WHAATTT

Therefore C IS the Seckiest ans here ...YEaH Me = 1 SC = 99 :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 99 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
 Q49  V35
GPA: 8.03
Send PM
noboru wrote:
During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warmer
than it is today, and the consequent melting of the polar ice caps caused the sea
level to raise about 60 feet over and above what its height presently is now.

A. sea level to raise about 60 feet over and above what its height presently is now
B. sea level to be raised over its height presently about 60 feet
C. sea level to rise about 60 feet above its present height
D. level of the seas to rise over and above its present height about 60 feet
E. level of the seas to be raised over their height, now about 60 feet

Please clarify.

C wins. This questions is essentially about maintaining the voice and concision. Other options are either wordy or are not in active voice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
noboru wrote:
During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warmer than it is today, and the consequent melting of the polar ice caps caused the sea level to raise about 60 feet over and above what its height presently is now.

A. sea level to raise about 60 feet over and above what its height presently is now
B. sea level to be raised over its height presently about 60 feet
C. sea level to rise about 60 feet above its present height
D. level of the seas to rise over and above its present height about 60 feet
E. level of the seas to be raised over their height, now about 60 feet

Please clarify.

raised and over are redundant. Also, 'rise' is the correct usage instead of 'raise'

C is the correct option
CrackVerbal Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warm [#permalink]
Expert Reply
During the last interglacial period, the climate on the Earth was warmer than it is today, and the consequent melting of the polar ice caps caused the sea level to raise about 60 feet over and above what its height presently is now.

A. sea level to raise about 60 feet over and above what its height presently is now "presently is now" is redundant. Incorrect use of transitive verb "raise" - thise requires an object (raise what?). Eliminate.

B. sea level to be raised over its height presently about 60 feet This implies that the current height is 60 feet instead of saying that the height increased by 60 feet. Eliminate.

C. sea level to rise about 60 feet above its present height Correct answer - above errors are rectified and no new errors are introduced.

D. level of the seas to rise over and above its present height about 60 feet Same error as in (B). Also, unnecessary modification of "sea" to "seas". Eliminate.

E. level of the seas to be raised over their height, now about 60 feet Same errors as in (D). Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts