Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Real Estate
GPA: 3.4
WE: Analyst (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down? [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2011, 16:39
Hi All,

I just started studying for the GMAT this week putting in about 2 hours per day. Today I took the first free GMATprep test and scored 680. I feel that I can do a lot better because I am definitely rushing. I finished the quant section with 23 minutes remaining and the verbal section with 37 minutes remaining. I took one of the free GMAT club tests and had a similar results (not scoring as high as I want but finishing with lots of time).

How can I pace myself better? Basically what happens is that whenever I get an easy question I answer it in about 10 seconds and move on, and when I get a hard question I let myself spend up to 5 minutes on it, but if I spend more than 5 minutes on one question I start getting nervous and usually guess. I guess I could spend even longer on the hard questions but I'm always afraid that I'll get a lot of hard questions at the end and run out of time...

Anyway, bottom line, does anyone have a good method of pacing?

thanks,

-far-
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 05:36
The best way to avoid "rushing" is monitor your progress over blocks of questions. You want to keep your average time per problem on point to give you a bit of buffer room on the tail end (extra minute or so), but not rushing through problems.

These two threads can help:
timing-ability-during-real-gmat-77652.html
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Don't get obsessive about checking time. Do so after blocks of questions.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down? [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2011, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
In addition to the threads Mohater posted, I just wanted to add in another article from our blog, that I know I've found helpful in terms of pacing. It's called "Everything You Need to Know About Time Management": http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... anagement/

The only other piece of advice I would suggest is to definitely time yourself as you go through OG problems. Getting used to that 2-minute mark for the quant and the 1m30s mark for the SC questions is really helpful in terms of overall timing.

Also, I would suggest saving your second GMAT Prep test for the end of your studies. It's the best marker of how you'll do on the actual exam, so don't waste it right at the beginning! We also offer a free one, which you could use in the meantime: http://www.manhattangmat.com/free-gmat.cfm

Best,
Caitlin Clay

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 03:03
How to manage time ??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down? [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Here is a trick I do and its helped me tremendously in Quant to keep pace.

"15 min block" recommendation was useless to me. In 15 min, I could finish 7-10 depending on difficulty and that could be nearly 1/3 of the exam.

Before taking a practice exam, I just write this on the side of my "working paper"

Qtn - Quant - Verbal
5 - 65 - 66
10 - 55 - 57
15 - 45 - 48
20 - 35 - 39
25 - 25 - 30
30 - 15 - 21
35 - 5 - 12
40 - 0 - 3

This way, because the clock on the GMAT is a countdown clock, you don't have to reverse calculate. Plus the smaller 10 minute blocks allow me to better gauge how slow or fast I'm going. If I accumulate too much time, I give myself more allowance for the more difficult qtns (esp data sufficiency). If I think I've spent too long on a qtn (which internally usually kicks in on the 2:30-3minute mark), I give myself 20-30s and guess and move on (less if I'm absolutely stumped, don't run through the same logic you've been pondering for the past 2 minutes).

Towards the end, if I feel I've built up a big enough buffer, I give myself the luxury of checking my answer on dubious qtns.

For Verbal, I do the same except I budget 9 minutes per 5 qtn instead of 10 minutes as in Quant. Verbal is harder to stick to as RC tends to take longer, and some SC can mesmerize you, but again, nothing more than 1:30-2min for a SC qtn, and no more than 3-3:30 per RC (this only if you're ahead of the clock)

This has helped me so much especially with Quant to manage my time.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down? [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 21:21
openbox1 wrote:
Here is a trick I do and its helped me tremendously in Quant to keep pace.

"15 min block" recommendation was useless to me. In 15 min, I could finish 7-10 depending on difficulty and that could be nearly 1/3 of the exam.

Before taking a practice exam, I just write this on the side of my "working paper"

Qtn - Quant - Verbal
5 - 65 - 66
10 - 55 - 57
15 - 45 - 48
20 - 35 - 39
25 - 25 - 30
30 - 15 - 21
35 - 5 - 12
40 - 0 - 3

This way, because the clock on the GMAT is a countdown clock, you don't have to reverse calculate. Plus the smaller 10 minute blocks allow me to better gauge how slow or fast I'm going. If I accumulate too much time, I give myself more allowance for the more difficult qtns (esp data sufficiency). If I think I've spent too long on a qtn (which internally usually kicks in on the 2:30-3minute mark), I give myself 20-30s and guess and move on (less if I'm absolutely stumped, don't run through the same logic you've been pondering for the past 2 minutes).

Towards the end, if I feel I've built up a big enough buffer, I give myself the luxury of checking my answer on dubious qtns.

For Verbal, I do the same except I budget 9 minutes per 5 qtn instead of 10 minutes as in Quant. Verbal is harder to stick to as RC tends to take longer, and some SC can mesmerize you, but again, nothing more than 1:30-2min for a SC qtn, and no more than 3-3:30 per RC (this only if you're ahead of the clock)

This has helped me so much especially with Quant to manage my time.

Seems to be a wonderful technique to me. I mostly start with an almost 95% accuracy rate till the 24th or 25th Ques. and then I look at the time, some lightening strikes my brain, and I give a flurry back to back wrongs. Its mostly because I panic due to paucity of time left on my watch. Hope this helps there.
Re: Pacing - How do I get myself to slow down?   [#permalink] 30 Jul 2013, 21:21