Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Painting wood furniture

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Painting wood furniture [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 15:42
Painting wood furniture requires less time than does finishing the funiture with a stain and polyurethane. On the other hand, a finish of stain and polyurethane lasts much longer than does paint. Yet one further fact in favor of paint is that it costs significantly less than does stain and polyurethane. Therefore, if reducing work time and saving money are more important to people, they will paint their wood furniture rather than finish it with stain and polyurethane.

The argument in the passage above makes which of the following assumptions?

(A) It is better to paint wood furniture than it is to stain and polyurethane it.
(B) Most people consider reducing work time and saving money to be more important than the longevity of a finish.
(C) Most people prefer to leave wood furniture unfinished rather than to paint or to stain and polyurethane the wood.
(D) Work time, cost, and longevity are equally important factors in deciding whether to paint wood furniture or stain and polyurethane it.
(E) Work time, cost, and longevity are the only important differences between painting wood furniture and finishing it with stain and polyurethane.

HIGHLIGHT BELOW TO SEE OA:
OA is (E)
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 17:29
Got E by POE

A) It clearly states in the passage that depending which factor is important (work time, cost vs. longevity) one might be better than the other. - NO
B) Same reason as A - Ruled out
C) Out of scope.
D) Level of importance of each factor is not an assumption.
E) The passage clearly talks about only these three factors, so it is assuming that the decision is based ONLY on these 3 factors - YES.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 20:10
E is the one.
Ptime < staintime
Plasts< Stainlasts
Pcost<Staincost

only three differences!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 20:11
Why is it not (B)?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2005, 20:12
(E)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2005, 05:17
Yep OA is (E)
But if we do the "negation" on (E)

Work time, cost, and longevity are NOT the only important differences between painting wood furniture and finishing it with stain and polyurethane.

So there are more important differences between painting wood furniture and finishing it with stain and polyurethane. So what?

The conclusion only refers to people who want "reducing work time and saving money are more important." If there are more "important differences", does it matter?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Painting wood furniture [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 05:35
In my view it's not a big deal to paint wooden furnitures. There are so many paints available today to paint wooden furnitures, and other wooden stuffs. For best wooden furnishings paints outcomes, the appropriate heat range should be managed in the room.
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Schools: UCSD (Rady) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 189

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 3

Re: Painting wood furniture [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 15:12
Expert's post
Easy explanation for (E): What if stain/poly is more beautiful than paint? You may be lazy and cheap and only keep your table for a year, but you'll still choose stain/poly because it looks better. In this scenario, work time, cost, and longevity are NOT the only important differences between painting wood furniture and finishing it with stain and polyurethane - we added a fourth one (aesthetics) and that totally changed our conclusion.

(B) doesn't work because we don't need to assume that most people fall on one side or the other. In fact, it's quite possible that most people care about longevity, but even in that case, the minority who care about work time and cost should still paint their furniture. So our conclusion works, even when (B) is not true.

Ryan Jacobs | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 6

Re: Painting wood furniture [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2012, 18:31
rjacobsMGMAT wrote:
Easy explanation for (E): What if stain/poly is more beautiful than paint? You may be lazy and cheap and only keep your table for a year, but you'll still choose stain/poly because it looks better. In this scenario, work time, cost, and longevity are NOT the only important differences between painting wood furniture and finishing it with stain and polyurethane - we added a fourth one (aesthetics) and that totally changed our conclusion.

(B) doesn't work because we don't need to assume that most people fall on one side or the other. In fact, it's quite possible that most people care about longevity, but even in that case, the minority who care about work time and cost should still paint their furniture. So our conclusion works, even when (B) is not true.

Thanks for that explanation.

But what about D?
It is only stated that
Quote:
if reducing work time and saving money are more important to people

It didn't mention whether longevity was important. So doesn't it imply that, assuming that longevity were important, it would still be less important than cost AND work time?

Edit: oh found it myself I skipped the word "more" in the quoted sentence :D
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Painting wood furniture [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2012, 07:59
I saw the conclusion, “if reducing work time and saving money are more important…people will paint rather than finish w/stain and polyurethane (for longevity)”

I tried to negate B by phrasing the answer, “people consider reducing work time and saving money to not be more important vs finish (longevity)” so I thought this answer attacks the conclusion.

I was hesitant cause the word “most” is not mentioned anywhere in the passage, but I thought E was too extreme cause of the word “only” so I chose B…
Re: Painting wood furniture   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2012, 07:59