Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 13:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pants Poopers Strike Back: Wharton R1 & R2

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Darden
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 420 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 22:09
ps_dahiya wrote:
I am yet to see one of your post (regarding admission process, chances and analysis) talking about "other things" such as geography, work experience, age etc.

Hmm, let's see if you have accurately categorized my posts.

Here's a post where I agree that Work Experience is probably the most important factor of all. As a bonus, I also talk about how each of the factors could have a greater or lesser impact based on applicant diversity:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#292448

Here's an extended post where I talk about how each of the factors are extremely important, but that people need to be honest when assessing the factors in their application (I'll get back to this later in this message):
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#292077

Here's me talking extensively about how diversity and race affect the admissions process. Strangely, you responded that the analysis was good - but now you claim that I have never considered other factors? Curious.
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#288519

Here I post some thoughts about business school & location:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#290513

Here's another post where I talk about how location figures into selectivity:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#290489

In this here brief post, I talk a little about how some of my applications turned out better than others - you might say I analyzed a difference in essay quality and execution:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#289447

Here's one where I spend the entire message talking about how age and work experience are major factors at some schools:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... ht=#287220

I also recall posting, several times I believe, that I didn't apply to Harvard because of the age issue, and that I didn't apply to Kellogg because I probably don't have the do-gooder extracurricular stuff that they like.

Trust me, I have thought long and hard about all the various factors; but the simple fact is that it is impossible to do any type of analysis (especially with info gleaned from Admissions411.com) based on any of these factors. GMAT is the only thing that is reasonably useful to look at for comparison.

The reason that it is useful to talk about GMAT scores when comparing applicants is because it is a fixed data point; in fact it is really the only fixed data point worth considering. GPA? Well, what school was it from; how long since you graduated; any graduate work; what major; did you work; did you have other concerns; grade inflation? Age is a fixed data points that you could use to compare applicants, but how useful is it really? Work experience? Well, what company is it with; how many promotions; is 3 years better than 7; what industry; how much responsibility; how many people do you manage; etc? There's just no effective way (that I can think of) to analyze such data.

Don't even start with quality of essays or interviews. Here are some things (that I have said elsewhere and will repeat here) that everyone should consider:

1. It seems like 50-90% of people believe that they write stellar essays. The reality is that probably only 5-10% of people truly have that type of writing skill - by definition the great majority of people will be average. The concept that people can regularly overcome average or below-average scores through quality essays is a falsehood - because very few people are capable of producing essays that are truly distinguishing.

2. It seems like 80-100% of people believe they are great interviewers. Again, that's just not possible. The great majority will not help themselves (nor hurt themselves) in their interview because they will be average. Let's just say that great interviewers have instances in their personal histories that suggest that they will do well in this format; perhaps a great speaker, motivator or recruiter.

3. Almost 100% of people believe that they have distinguishing work experience. The simple fact is that, when compared to the admitted pool at top schools very few people will have distinguishing work experience and in fact, most people are unknowingly left wanting. Consider that the average pre-mba salaries at Haas, Columbia, MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Kellogg, Chicago & Wharton range from $70-80k. Salary isn't everything, but it is one way that Adcoms will evaluate applicants.

4. Many applicants do not understand how much they are hurt by a lack of quality activities and extracurriculars. At the top schools, this can hurt a lot.

I am actually acutely aware of all of the factors that make up a good application. That's why, even though I have (as far as I know) the highest GMAT score of any GMATclubber this year, I'm still very nervous about my applications.

This isn't Lake Wobegon; this is real life and all the children are not above average.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 23:50
The admission411's Wharton intv invite seems to progress very slowly. Definately the new UI has affected the way people update their profile. It really sucks!

Anyone else heard back from wharton?
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 23:52
The admission411's Wharton intv invite seems to progress very slowly. Definately the new UI has affected the way people update their profile. It really sucks!

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2007, 23:52

VP
VP
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 07:14
Let's not forget the 5 elements being evaluated.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=19450

I agree with pelihu that when analyzing data from admissions411, there's not much more significant data other than GMAT. Yet this data addresses only 1 out of 5 dimensions being evaluated (or maybe 1.5 if we consider that some employers look at GMAT scores). And on "GMAT whores" schools it's way more important. But Wharton is clearly not in that list.

Pelihu, I think you should change your GMAT score to 680 so that we would not be second guessing your motives all the time... :lol:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 19:23
less than 5 days left....
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2007, 19:55
Guys whatever you analyses are I believe a guy with a substantial work ex in a diverse environment with a fair GPA say 3.6 and above would be preferred over a person with little/no experience with a score above 700 unless he/she is having stellar credentials like representing a country for Olympics etc.
:-D
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 12:00
trivikram wrote:
Guys whatever you analyses are I believe a guy with a substantial work ex in a diverse environment with a fair GPA say 3.6 and above would be preferred over a person with little/no experience with a score above 700 unless he/she is having stellar credentials like representing a country for Olympics etc.
:-D

Its difficult to say. I guess as the adcom says 'you will have to evaluate the application as a whole!'. It also depends on how you fit into the school's profile and whether they think that if they admit you will accept the offer!

Often it is crapshoot also. I have a friend who got into Harvard and Wharton and was waitlisted in Kellogg!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2007, 12:02
4 more working days, now news yet! I have almost written of Wharton :(
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 11:16
What was the deadlines for the interview invites for R1?

A note from FF in the Wharton S2S:

To: ALL (15 of 92)

16276.15 in reply to 16276.13

Everybody, please calm down.

I'd like to share a few facts about the review process

All applications are read at least twice cover to cover
Applications are given to readers in weekly batches.
There are way more applications than can be dealt with in a single week by readers
There is no 'quality', geographic, professional background, etc order to the way applications are read.
Applications start the reading process ROUGHLY in the order they turn complete. But the 'batch' nature and high volume of applications means that one app could go straight to be read, but an application that went complete 5 minutes later waits another week for the next batch of reads.
the time to process an individual application is entirely random - your application might go to a fast reader, and then be handed over to another reader the next week. Or it could go to a slow reader, then sit in the admissions office for another 2 weeks before going out to a 2nd read.
Assuming the readers agree that you should be invited for an interview, it will take the back office team a day or two to issue the invitation.
So all of this means that you cannot know when your application is read, or how long the process will take. think of admissions as a long pipeline. You can stuff a lot of applications into the pipeline before you see anything out the other end. Anything coming out the other end will initially be only a trickle. Invites will continue to flow out the other end long after they have stopped being stuffed into the start.

The nature of the above process means that while a handful of invites will come out within a few weeks of the deadline, the bulk of invites will be issued towards the end of the invitation 'window. Now I know a bunch of you are already trying to put all of this into an Excel model to predict exactly when your invite will arrive. I would ask that you highlight in red the areas where there is a broad range rather than a specific number, then add these red ranges together and come up with a confidence estimate for the accuracy of your prediction, given the overall length of the interview window. There, now I think we have established that your model is next to useless in its predictive capacity. Put it aside, and just remember FF's advice 'the bulk of invitations will be issued towards the end of the invitation window'.

* This message proudly brought to you by FF's Stress Management Inc.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 11:28
I'm getting antsy about this process but I've never understood the folks who tried to find patterns according to when people's application went complete. What an exercise in futility!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 11:41
Any updates on W R2 invites? Still no news.
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 22:09
The end day for Wharton is nearing! Still no news! I guess time to write of Wharton :(!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 05:44
Tuesday, Wed........ Thursday...
Darn...

COME ON!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 06:41
no news yet.
today and tomorrow....

how about others?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 07:41
I'm starting to get a little antsy here. I have no idea if I'm Wharton material but I thought my essays and GMAT were strong enough for at least an interview. I'll be pretty bummed if I don't get one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 08:15
ditto.

My GMAT is not strong, but I thought I would get at least an interview invitation....

the wall was higher than I thought..
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 10:37
Yeah... depressing! Not sure what they were looking at. I kow my GPA was weak, but I have stunning WE/ECAs and I have been working for almost 7 years.

Looks like this year the application standard has gone u, at-least in the 2nd round.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 12:23
LOL...
I checked my Junk folder and other email accounts although I know that I didn't include these email address on my application....

It is bit tough to swallow... GIVE ME MY TIME/MONEY BACK!!!
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 12:51
died4me wrote:
LOL...
I checked my Junk folder and other email accounts although I know that I didn't include these email address on my application....

It is bit tough to swallow... GIVE ME MY TIME/MONEY BACK!!!

I am thinking of sending them a rejection letter! That way I can say that I rejected them before being rejected by them!
  [#permalink] 14 Feb 2007, 12:51