Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:09 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q780 V540
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Re: Paper Tests Seem Easy? Agree? [#permalink]
the math seems simple, but other than the fact that most of the SC & CR are from the OGs the RC passages are pretty tough IMO.

(Especially the 2nd test's science passage...augh.)

What are you guys scoring on these? I got a 660 and 650 (w/ taking off the 1.25 for missed problems)
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
I've been getting 770, 780 on the paper tests- I also think they are too easy. But, it would be sweeet if I could score that high on the real test.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
swbluedevil wrote:
I've been getting 770, 780 on the paper tests- I also think they are too easy. But, it would be sweeet if I could score that high on the real test.

I agree. So far I've taken 6 papers: 690, 750, 730, 720, 760, 740, 740.

The math is way too easy. The verbal is solid though. I think the verbal is excellent practice b/c for the CR's and SC's it gives you less time than on the computer test. On the CAT you can afford around 2min per CR, but on the paper u get about 1min 30 sec.

One thing I highly reccomend for the paper tests is to treat it like a CAT as best as you can.

First and foremost always go by the time thats given for the paper tests.
Second DO NOT SKIP over answers and go back to them. YOU cannot do this during the test.
DO NOT leave questions unanswered, while this doesnt increase your score it doesnt hurt it either. You don't have this option on the real test so dont use it on the papers!!!

Personally after taking the paper tests I really have come to dislike the CAT's. Partly because I can do much better on the paper's, but more because I think its a more realistic test.

GMAC can defend its adaptive format all it wants, but I still feel this system is flawed.
If you make some silly mistakes, then your score on the CAT will take a nose dive. Is this really predictive of your score? No. It does measure your attention to detail... maybe. I dunno, this is all personal opinion here so don't jump all over me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Have you guys already taken the GMAT or done the GmatPrep? Curious to see how your 700+ correlates to the CATs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Are you guys taking off the 1.25 for each wrong answer or is it just straight up score. Either way you guys seem to be doing really well...I'm jealous. :(

What do you do when you get the repeat questions? I hate those because I'm 1/2 trying to solve for the answer and 1/2 trying to remember what it was, and then I get pissed knowing that my score isn't that accurate only to not read all the answers choices and get the problem wrong!?!? Hmpf.

I've been sticking to the time on my tests and it seems really fast. I think we get little over a minute for SC and less than 2 min for each CR. The CATs are pretty much 1.5 - 2.0 min/question. Are you guys just that fast and efficient?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Yup, I take the additional .25 off. I don't pay any special attention to repeat questions- chances are I normally don't remember the answer anyways (just why I missed it before).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
navy01 wrote:
Are you guys taking off the 1.25 for each wrong answer or is it just straight up score. Either way you guys seem to be doing really well...I'm jealous. :(

What do you do when you get the repeat questions? I hate those because I'm 1/2 trying to solve for the answer and 1/2 trying to remember what it was, and then I get pissed knowing that my score isn't that accurate only to not read all the answers choices and get the problem wrong!?!? Hmpf.

I've been sticking to the time on my tests and it seems really fast. I think we get little over a minute for SC and less than 2 min for each CR. The CATs are pretty much 1.5 - 2.0 min/question. Are you guys just that fast and efficient?

Yes I take off the points, which usually aren't much to begin with. I usually miss 10 Q's on verbal so 10/4 = 2.5 and math pffft, usually miss maybe 5 because of dumb errors 5/4=1.25

The .5 you add at the end usually helps.

YOU MUST NEVER SKIP PROBLEMS. Like I said, treat it like a real CAT. Don't go back to previous problems, and don't leave questions unanswered to avoid loosing points in the end.

Repeat problems on paper tests, because they are in the verbal, do suck sometimes. I also find myself 1/2 solving 1/2 remembering. You can't escape it no matter how hard u try. Sometimes Il know the answer, other times i think il know the answer and guess it wrong and go against my reasoning. Sucks, but what can you do?

Thats why I wouldn't take Paper tests scores literally. Even GMATPrep. If you've seen previous problems it can really inflate your score. Ex/ miss 14 probs on Verbal you can get maybe a 35 raw, miss 10 you get a 40-42. So if you've seen 4 previous problems and know the answers thats extra points. those 4 problems can really make a big difference when aiming for higher scores. Freakin sucks.

Not to make things seem worse, but seeing a previous problem can give you extra time or curb your anxiety. If your freakin out b/c your low on time, but then see a previous CR, RC, etc... hey thats a def. answer i can get and extra time = less stress.

Sorry im rambling, but basically take these tests for practice. There is no gurantee that b/c you score a 740 on GMATPrep that your going to get a 740...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
I found any and all paper tests easier. printed words are just easier to read and i would just circle the answer which is so much faster. I was still able to do well on the real GMAT though.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys I'm a little confused on how the grading works - just wanted to make sure I'm doing it right:

So first I calculate each section using the steps they outlined (add up correct, add up incorrect, divide inc. by 4, etc.), then I find the verbal corrected raw score in the chart, then the quant. then add those two together to match it up with total scaled score?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
navy01 wrote:
Have you guys already taken the GMAT or done the GmatPrep? Curious to see how your 700+ correlates to the CATs.

GMAT1: 730 (49q, 40v)
MGMAT1: 640
MGMAT2: 660
MGMAT3: 730
Paper test 1: 770
Paper test 2: 690 (tons of careless mistakes in quant, my strong area...DOH)

In my opinion, yes quant is way easier but verbal is pretty good on the paper tests.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hey sorry to bump the post, just wondering if anyone can answer my question above about the scoring, and whether or not I'm doing it right lol.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
I think you total up the wrong and multiply by 1.25. Then take the "corrected wrong" and minus it from the correct to find the raw verbal and quant. Then add these two and go to the other chart for the scaled breakdown. That's what I know for sure.

I haven't read the small print directions that well but I think you round to the nearest number.
GMAT Club Bot