Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 05 Jul 2015, 21:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 20:54
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions
When old-grow forests are cleared of tall trees, more sunlight reaches the forest floor. This results in a sharp increase in the population of leafy shrubs on which the mule deer depend for food. Yet mule deer herds that inhabit cleared forests are less well-nourished than are herds living in old-growth forests.

Which one of the following, if true, most helps to resolve the apparent paradox?

(A) Mule deer have enzyme-rich saliva and specialized digestive organs that enable the deer to digest tough plants inedible to other deer species.
(B) Mule deer herds that inhabit cleared forests tend to have more female with young offspring and fewer adult males than do other mule deer populations.
(C) Mule deer populations are spread throughout western North America and inhabit hot, sunny climates as well as cool, wet climates.
(D) As plants receive more sunlight, they produce higher amounts of tannins, compounds that inhibit digestion of the plants’ proteins.
(E) Insect parasites, such as certain species of ticks, that feed primary on mule deer often dwell in trees, from which they drop onto passing deer.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 31 May 2005, 21:31
(A) Mule deer have enzyme-rich saliva and specialized digestive organs that enable the deer to digest tough plants inedible to other deer species.
-hmm. maybe...i'll go to the next answer choice and come back to this later on an actual test

(B) Mule deer herds that inhabit cleared forests tend to have more female with young offspring and fewer adult males than do other mule deer populations.
- Out of scope. Concerned with diet and not population

(C) Mule deer populations are spread throughout western North America and inhabit hot, sunny climates as well as cool, wet climates.
- Out of scope. We're not told what type of climate exists in old-grow forests

(D) As plants receive more sunlight, they produce higher amounts of tannins, compounds that inhibit digestion of the plants’ proteins.
- Same as A. Come back to this later.

(E) Insect parasites, such as certain species of ticks, that feed primary on mule deer often dwell in trees, from which they drop onto passing deer.
- If so, mule deer should not thrive in old grow forest.

Between A and D, I'll go with A. A specifically mentions that mule deers will not have competition for food in old-grow with other deers. In D, all we know are the compounds inhibit digestion of the plant's proteins, but we're not sure if this is restricted to deers and more importantly, does the inability to digest proteins result in malnutrition.

A for me.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 07:32
I will go with D - since proteins are not digested, so malnourished.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 09:14
D is for me too.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2005, 10:37
D is a clear winner.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 04:51
its A for me. Well nourishment can not be releated to compound that inhibits digestion of the plant's proteins as it is being done in D.

So A is better option for me.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2005, 05:07
Definitely it’s between A and D.
Tough one I must add however here is my reasoning.

It might be A because Mule deer have enzyme-rich saliva and specialized digestive organs that enable the deer to digest tough plants inedible to other deer species, then when the old-grow forests aren’t clear, they get to eat more of the available plants which in this case is trees.

D is also a good candidate because it says “As plants receive more sunlight, they produce higher amounts of tannins, compounds that inhibit digestion of the plants’ proteins.â€
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 00:09
pick (D)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 00:38
[quote="Folaa3"]Definitely it’s between A and D.
Tough one I must add however here is my reasoning.

It might be A because Mule deer have enzyme-rich saliva and specialized digestive organs that enable the deer to digest tough plants inedible to other deer species, then when the old-grow forests aren’t clear, they get to eat more of the available plants which in this case is trees.

D is also a good candidate because it says “As plants receive more sunlight, they produce higher amounts of tannins, compounds that inhibit digestion of the plants’ proteins.â€
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 01:07
ywilfred, I find flaw in A.

less trees -> more sunlight -> more shrubs -> more food for mule deers
but -> mule deer less nutritioned.

In A, "mule deers will not have competition for food in old-grow with other deers"
but even in new-grow, the same shrubs are growing on which mule deer depends on. Thus, even if those shurbs grow in large extent, they can be of no use to other deer species since they anyway cannot digest them.

Only D gives a clear reasoning the shrubs in new-grow inhibit digestion that accounts for this paradox.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 01:12
sonaketu wrote:
ywilfred, I find flaw in A.

less trees -> more sunlight -> more shrubs -> more food for mule deers
but -> mule deer less nutritioned.

In A, "mule deers will not have competition for food in old-grow with other deers"
but even in new-grow, the same shrubs are growing on which mule deer depends on. Thus, even if those shurbs grow in large extent, they can be of no use to other deer species since they anyway cannot digest them.

Only D gives a clear reasoning the shrubs in new-grow inhibit digestion that accounts for this paradox.

Good point ! I failed to see that.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 02:03
D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 02:34
D it is.

GA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 06:57
gandy_achar wrote:
D it is.

GA

I vote for D.

HMTG.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2005, 07:00
it's time for the OA, isn't it?
Re: paradox questions are relatively easy for me, but this one   [#permalink] 03 Jun 2005, 07:00