Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parallel reasoning questions!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Parallel reasoning questions! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 09:40
hi all,

I have a specific concern with parallel reasoning q's in crictical reasoning................I've been solving some of them from the Lsat material and i've managed to go wrong in most of them...............they drive me up the wall and are freaking tough to answer......................

is there a way to tackle them...............or is it just practice that will bring an improvement......................
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 16:43
As someone who took the LSAT and later decided against going to law school, I can tell you that the parallel reasoning questions on the LSAT are generally regarded as the toughest CR questions. You're not alone in having trouble with them. That said, I wouldn't worry much about them. In my experience the parallel reasoning questions on the GMAT are generally easier than those on the LSAT and on the GMAT they are few and far between. I don't think it's uncommon to get through the actual GMAT without a parallel reasoning question and I would be surprised if you got more than one.

If you really feel a need to improve in this area, it's like anything else, you simply have to practice. Be sure to read and study the answer explanations. As a general rule, any answer choice that's constructed in the same grammatical format as the question stem is probably wrong. It might help to keep in mind that this type of thinking is critical to performing well as an attorney - attorneys have to be able to apply precedent-setting case law (reasoning) to cases they're currently working on. Good luck.

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Hey! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 23:16
hey , thanx a bunch for that piece of information...........Like u said, the PR q's are tough...........I sometimes get them rite using the elimination method, which takes up a lot of my time.......................and for someone who's tryst with CR's hasn't been a smooth ride, parallel reasoning can seem very daunting..................

Thanx again
jyotsna
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 23:19
Hi,

Can u elaborate a little more on the below mentioned statement.

"As a general rule, any answer choice that's constructed in the same grammatical format as the question stem is probably wrong".
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2006, 23:49
jyotsnasarabu wrote:
Hi,

Can u elaborate a little more on the below mentioned statement.

"As a general rule, any answer choice that's constructed in the same grammatical format as the question stem is probably wrong".

For God's sake don't pay any attention to these statements. Probably Kaplan invented these tips. Other day, someone mentioned (in a different forum) that if you can't crack a SC, select the option with least words ! If you are guessing, your odds do not decrease with the count of words.

Would you believe if someone says "if you see angle of a triangle is > 90 degrees, it is probably a wrong answer choice".

As Mark Twain once said "All generalizations are wrong, including this one" ! :-D

The only way to improve parallel reasoning (as far as my limited knowledge goes) is to pay more attention to argument structures and try to understand how author is trying to establish his/her point. Also, it might help to brush up the basics of logic (it surely worked for me) including different common paradoxes, logical equivalents and last but not least - D Alembert's rules .

Disclaimer :
1) I'm no CR guru. So feel free to ignore my comments.
2) If you do not see much improvement after doing all of above, do not be disappointed. Picking up verbal skills is a frustratingly slow process.

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2006, 00:49
Totally agree with u.....................m just trying to explore different ways of looking at how Cr's can be cracked..............................and practice does make a woman perfect.............................or the lack of it...........................but yeah.............picking up on CR is excruciatingly difficult..................coz it's very easy to get let down when one is not scoring well, inspite of a gud amount of work that goes into it............i have a month to go for the exam .............so more and more timed Cr tests until then is all i can do......................

Thanx
  [#permalink] 13 Nov 2006, 00:49