Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 07:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 13:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

35% (02:18) correct 65% (01:18) wrong based on 108 sessions
Could anyone explain why the use of "to" before the first verb of the list ("leave") is not needed in correct answer?

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

(A) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to
(B) all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and
(C) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and
(D) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and
(E) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 14:32
'to' is not necessary in correct choice (C). Reason being the meaning of the sentence.

all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone : this means we wants cattle to leave 'them' (whom?) alone.
all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone : this is correct. This tells that you need to leave the cattle alone.

Rest is simple parallelism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 22:17
Also B is NOT Parallel: "to feed themselves, to corral them, and Drive" to is expected after and.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 7

Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 23:44
Could you please explain why C is correct? There is no comma before the second "and". And is it correct to use "all one"? My ear was confused with this combination.

Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 00:06
JubtaGubar wrote:
Could you please explain why C is correct? There is no comma before the second "and". And is it correct to use "all one"? My ear was confused with this combination.

Thank you in advance!

nothing wrong with 'all one'....your ears feel wierd coz 'all' cant be 'one'...but the referrants are different here.....all refers to the list of things...'one' is the subject doing those things..

Comma before and comes only while writing a list of three or more....
A, B , and C

option C has a structure like: A and {B and C}....that is there are two separate items...and item 2 has a list within itself that contains only two elements, so comma not required....u can cal this a 'nested list' if u like....these have been explained in MGMAT SC guide in the parallelism chapter i think...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 7

Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 00:10
This post received
KUDOS
upasanadatta wrote:

nothing wrong with 'all one'....your ears feel wierd coz 'all' cant be 'one'...but the referrants are different here.....all refers to the list of things...'one' is the subject doing those things..

Comma before and comes only while writing a list of three or more....
A, B , and C

option C has a structure like: A and {B and C}....that is there are two separate items...and item 2 has a list within itself that contains only two elements, so comma not required....u can cal this a 'nested list' if u like....these have been explained in MGMAT SC guide in the parallelism chapter i think...

Thank you upasanadatta! It is clear for me now!
And good luck on your gmat test!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 234

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 02:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1560

CAT Tests
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 21:44
massi2884 wrote:
Could anyone explain why the use of "to" before the first verb of the list ("leave") is not needed in correct answer?

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

(A) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to
(B) all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and
(C) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and
(D) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and
(E) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them

Please underline the appropriate section. This can prevent confusion among answer choices.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 263 [0], given: 186

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 09:34
I think most of the people have selected option B instead of C, because question is not underlined. I see no other reason: definitely most of the selectors of B were under impression that to is present with drive.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 09:34