Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 03 Apr 2012
Posts: 7
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 13:41
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (medium)

Question Stats:

34% (02:16) correct 65% (01:11) wrong based on 79 sessions
Could anyone explain why the use of "to" before the first verb of the list ("leave") is not needed in correct answer?

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

(A) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to
(B) all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and
(C) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and
(D) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and
(E) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 28 Jun 2009
Posts: 455
Location: United States (MA)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 95 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 14:32
'to' is not necessary in correct choice (C). Reason being the meaning of the sentence.

all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone : this means we wants cattle to leave 'them' (whom?) alone.
all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone : this is correct. This tells that you need to leave the cattle alone.

Rest is simple parallelism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 327
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 22:17
Also B is NOT Parallel: "to feed themselves, to corral them, and Drive" to is expected after and.
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Location: Ukraine
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 7

Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 23:44
Could you please explain why C is correct? There is no comma before the second "and". And is it correct to use "all one"? My ear was confused with this combination.

Thank you in advance!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 16 Sep 2011
Posts: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 00:06
JubtaGubar wrote:
Could you please explain why C is correct? There is no comma before the second "and". And is it correct to use "all one"? My ear was confused with this combination.

Thank you in advance!


nothing wrong with 'all one'....your ears feel wierd coz 'all' cant be 'one'...but the referrants are different here.....all refers to the list of things...'one' is the subject doing those things..

Comma before and comes only while writing a list of three or more....
A, B , and C

option C has a structure like: A and {B and C}....that is there are two separate items...and item 2 has a list within itself that contains only two elements, so comma not required....u can cal this a 'nested list' if u like....these have been explained in MGMAT SC guide in the parallelism chapter i think...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Joined: 23 Oct 2011
Posts: 54
Location: Ukraine
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
WE: Corporate Finance (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 00:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
upasanadatta wrote:

nothing wrong with 'all one'....your ears feel wierd coz 'all' cant be 'one'...but the referrants are different here.....all refers to the list of things...'one' is the subject doing those things..

Comma before and comes only while writing a list of three or more....
A, B , and C

option C has a structure like: A and {B and C}....that is there are two separate items...and item 2 has a list within itself that contains only two elements, so comma not required....u can cal this a 'nested list' if u like....these have been explained in MGMAT SC guide in the parallelism chapter i think...


Thank you upasanadatta! It is clear for me now!
And good luck on your gmat test!
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 706
Followers: 110

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2013, 02:03
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 10 Mar 2013
Posts: 101
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 747

CAT Tests
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2014, 21:44
massi2884 wrote:
Could anyone explain why the use of "to" before the first verb of the list ("leave") is not needed in correct answer?

It is an oversimplified view of cattle raising to say that all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to drive them to market when the time is ripe.

(A) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and to
(B) all one has to do with cattle is to leave them alone to feed themselves, to corral them, and
(C) all one has to do with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves and then corral them and
(D) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is leave them alone while they feed themselves, corral them, and
(E) the only thing that has to be done with cattle is to leave them alone while they feed themselves, to corral them


Please underline the appropriate section. This can prevent confusion among answer choices.
Re: Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb   [#permalink] 28 Jan 2014, 21:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts 4 Parallelism of verbs of being Raths 4 13 Jan 2011, 00:03
Popular new posts 56 Experts publish their posts in the topic VERB-ING MODIFIERS PART 2 In our first article on verb-ing egmat 51 09 Jul 2012, 07:21
New posts 2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Use of THE after Verb-ing ? daisyhill1 3 03 Jun 2013, 22:34
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic Parallelism in linking verb dipeshsalvi 1 24 Oct 2013, 04:43
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Parallelism & Verb Tense vsquarescube 2 16 Nov 2013, 03:53
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Parallelism: Use of TO in the first verb

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.