Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time Langone Essays

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU, Booth, McCombs
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Part Time Langone Essays [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 11:17
I'm drawing a blank on how the Langone essays should be written. 2 of the essays have about a 250 word limit. I attempted to write within this limit, but quickly realized how short these essays are intended to be.

So my questions:
Anyone have any idea how these should be written? Should they even have introductions and conclusions in the essays? Or are these expected to be no more than short answers to the brief and concise questions that are being asked?

I find that it's difficult to get into much detail as far as short term and long term goals. Even examples are difficult to incorporate with such a short word limit on these.

What was your experience with the part time Langone essays?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Part Time Langone Essays [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 05:41
The essays definately need some serious trimming, but it can be done. I am a new student admitted to the Fall 09 term.

In my experience the best way is to write your story, whatever you feel the adcom needs to know, your examples, etc. without worrying about the word limit. Then read and reread and decide what is the most important thing you want them to know. Also, try to get the point across in short, to the point sentences.(The limit is in place for a reason) If you have a piece of information in one essay do not repeat it in another essay even if it seems relevant, you want to use all the words to give unique information.

Also, remember the first 2 essays have a 250 word limit but essay three and four have a 500 word limit. So use the forth optional essay to convey information you cannot fit in essay 1 and 2.

Have friends/family review your essays, its easy for them to edit the essays as they are not intimate with the content.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NYU, Booth, McCombs

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Part Time Langone Essays [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2009, 06:45
LangoneAspirant wrote:
The essays definately need some serious trimming, but it can be done. I am a new student admitted to the Fall 09 term.

In my experience the best way is to write your story, whatever you feel the adcom needs to know, your examples, etc. without worrying about the word limit. Then read and reread and decide what is the most important thing you want them to know. Also, try to get the point across in short, to the point sentences.(The limit is in place for a reason) If you have a piece of information in one essay do not repeat it in another essay even if it seems relevant, you want to use all the words to give unique information.

Also, remember the first 2 essays have a 250 word limit but essay three and four have a 500 word limit. So use the forth optional essay to convey information you cannot fit in essay 1 and 2.

Have friends/family review your essays, its easy for them to edit the essays as they are not intimate with the content.

Hope this helps.

thanks, this helps a lot. I have been writing/re-writing and sending drafts to friends and family to see what can be trimmed down, what is missing and am close to being satisfied with my Essays 1 and 2. I intend to use the optional essay to touch on aspects that I haven't touched upon in Essays 1 and 2 and hope to get something creative made for Essay 3. many thanks for your feedback
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Part Time Langone Essays [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 14:55
I feel your pain..I think my first drafts were like 500 words, and I thought I was being too brief and neglecting flow. You just need to trim them down and be as efficient with your thought as possible. It took me a few dozen re-workings. I would not go too much over, probably will give them the impression, you do not follow directions. Also, like stated before, essay 4 does not have a limit, so you can say a lot there....good luck.
Re: Part Time Langone Essays   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 14:55