Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 03:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part-Time MBA for an aspiring Entrepreneur ?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 17

Part-Time MBA for an aspiring Entrepreneur ? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2013, 11:57
Hey folks,

I wanted to solicit your advise on a part-time vs full-time decision at Berkeley Haas.

About me:
- 28 yrs old, Indian Origin
- Bachelors(3.4/4.0) and Masters(3.5/4.0) Education at top 5 US university
- GMAT: 710
- Live in Bay Area, CA
- Work as an engineer for a big company for about 4 years.

In future, I see myself working in small/mid-level startups with the long-term goal of starting something of my own. If that doesn't happen then a product manager at Apple/Google/.... other bay area companies.

THE DILEMMA: :?
- Apply full-time to Berkeley Haas with an average Indian IT Male profile. Almost a certain ding at MIT Sloan R1 app.
VS.
- Apply part-time to Berkeley Haas IF:
- I have a slightly better chance to get accepted
- I can make a career transition during the first year of PT MBA into a small company? or something towards Entrepreneurship
- I will be able to keep paying my mortgage... :-D
- Gain Industry experience for 3 years. vs. no experience during 2YR FT MBA(excluding internship)

So, in a nutshell, can I transition into an entrepreneurial career with my PT MBA at Haas? :thumbup:
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

Re: Part-Time MBA for an aspiring Entrepreneur ? [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2013, 05:15
If I understand correctly, you are not looking for a career change. You have a good GMAT score, good GPA and solid work experience. You should remember you don’t need an MBA For an entrepreneurial career. I strongly feel a full-time MBA’s loan doesn’t help in motivating you to start a company. But, an MBA from a top school helps to gain the business skills and a strong network.

Both programs (part time / full time )have their own pros and cons. If you give your complete profile we can better evaluate your candidature for both part time and full time programs. I don’t see any reason why you cannot get into your target schools if you prepare a good application.

Good luck.
www.interviewbay.com
Re: Part-Time MBA for an aspiring Entrepreneur ?   [#permalink] 06 Dec 2013, 05:15