Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 04:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time MBA - Please advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Cranfield SOM
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Part Time MBA - Please advice [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2006, 17:45
Scott / Omari

Earlier I had communicated my desire to attend FT MBA courses at a few universities:

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=24014

On further review I fell that due to financial and personal reasons I should not be taking the FT (two year) route and instead and have decided to go the PT way or maybe a FT (one year) course.

I am thinking that I will apply for the PT course either this year or next year. If PT admissons do not come through I will try the FT (1-year) courses in Fall 2008.

My question is that considering my educational background (low GPA) and lack of volunteering in the community will it better that I apply for admission in fall 2007. The reason for this question is that I read online that admission criteria to PT courses are much more lenient.

I was targeting NYU-Stern, UCLA, UC-Berkeley and Chicago. Criteria for selection -
(A) offers weekend programs
(B) Career Services for working professional

Can you assess my chances for the above schools? Also, can you suggest some other programs that meets the above criteria.

Once again my details:
Indian Male - 30 Yrs
Undergrad - Bachelors in Electronics Engg - 66% (first class)
Experience - 8 Yrs
Professional Certifications - 2 (PMP - project management and MHP - healthcare)
GMAT - 700 (Q46, V40)

Thanks
GR
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 29 Jan 2006, 18:59
Expert's post
I think your chances are pretty good for those part-time programs. No need to wait another year. Apply for Fall 2007. Only wait another year if you think you'll earn a big promotion or some other achievement in the coming year.

I can't immediately think of any other top schools that meet those criteria, particularly the career services one. Research that aspect of each school carefully, because some schools only give limited career service help to PT students.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2006, 06:17
Scott

Thanks for your opinion. I think I was not clear enough - I meant to ask whether I could apply for Fall 2006 or should I wait for Fall 2007.

The advantage of applying for Fall 2007 is that I could take a couple of courses and mitigate the risk posed by my low GPA and failed exams of the undergrad.

It would also help me in sending some time on community activities that I could put on the apps.

Please let me know.
CIO
CIO

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2006, 16:38
If you were to go for Fall 2006 that would mean you'd have to apply third round. That makes it significantly more difficult for you to get into the school. You might want to wait for '07 and really get yourself in top shape for admission.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Current Student

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2006, 17:03
Thanks for the reply. I guess I will work on my weak spots and gt ready for fall 07.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2006, 08:29
If scorpioguy is applying for a PT program where does the question of thrid round come into picture.

Do part time programs have such deadlines as well ?

I thought NYU's PT deadline is may 15 th . There is only one deadline mentioned so why not apply to fall 06 ?
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2006, 09:52
Expert's post
That's correct. It depends on the school, but some schools have rolling admissions or simply have a different set of dates for their PT programs. The "1st round vs. 3rd round" issue is frequently different for PT programs. Good catch.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews