Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time MBA Programs with a Strong Brand

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Part Time MBA Programs with a Strong Brand [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 09:26
I will be applying to business school for Fall 14, and have been evaluating part time programs for fit with my goals. I am looking to get into the best school I can, with a focus on FT brand and alumni network. My employer is subsidizing the costs, so I am not concerned about price, and I work remotely so location is also not a problem. I am not a career switcher, nor am I looking for external opportunities, so recruitment options are not an interest. I am primarily looking for a deeper understanding of business theory combined with practical application to allow me to better tackle business problems as I move up within my company. I'm looking to focus on strategy, so finding a program with a collaborative focus on strategy would be ideal.

I am currently employed by a Fortune 50 Tech company, and began work here 1 year before I graduated from my Bachelors program in 2010. This will mean ~4 years of work experience at matriculation, and I have been promoted several times in this span, which is extremely uncommon. I have worked in a number of roles, driving products to market collaboratively on a global scale. I have also had coverage in Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, and other top publications covering the products I have developed. I hold 1 patent from this time, and have directly owned several accounts with major OEM providers. Currently I hold a position as a Product Manager, and I hope to continue in this facility bolstering my decision making with the experiences I gain from my MBA.

My undergraduate education was at a State school, and I earned a BSc in Business and Information System Management. My GPA is not ideal, a 3.06 overall. My senior year I was working 70-80 hour days with 27 units (12 was considered full-time) as I was working on a start-up type software product. This yielded a 2.5 and 2.9 GPA for my last two semesters, at the same time as my patent was filed and I received recognition for my work efforts. I'm looking to address this with my GMAT, but not directly call out my GPA as it's not below 3.0 cumulatively.

I am currently studying for the GMAT, with practice tests yielding 620 before I started my Veritas test prep course. I scored Q35/V40 without studying, and am hoping to pull this up to 700+ range. I hadn't done any math for quite a while, so I'm confident I can raise this in the 2 months I will be studying.

I am looking at a number of schools, but have had difficulty finding class profile information on Part-Time programs. I still am not completely comfortable assessing which are in range based on my statistics:

Ideal:
Northwestern Kellogg Accelerated Part-Time (this is my #1 and I meet the requirements for the accelerated program)
Chicago Booth Part-Time
Berkeley Part-Time

Very Good:
NYU Stern Part-Time
Michigan Ross Part-Time
UCLA Anderson

Safety:
Carnegie Mellon
USC
ASU
UC Davis

Based on my profile, should I be considering my Ideal schools? If I score a 650 vs 720 on the GMAT, how much will this impact my chances?
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9456 [0], given: 3702

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Part Time MBA Programs with a Strong Brand [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 15:20
Expert's post
Take a look here: us-part-time-mba-rankings-class-profiles-and-comparison-84898.html

Your GMAT should fit in and PT programs are usually easier to get into since they are geographically limited. I am taking it, you are working remotely, is that correct?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Part Time MBA Programs with a Strong Brand [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 01:11
Hi all!

I'm a VP of Campus Partnerships in an admissions counseling company called inGenius prep (wwwdotingeniusprepdotcom) that helps students build their candidacy and perfect their applications for competitive business schools.

Our students have the opportunity to work one-on-one with expert admissions counselors. Our team includes former admissions officers from the top business schools in the country, including: Harvard, Stanford, UPenn, and more.

If you're thinking of applying to business school, and would like to learn more about us, you can check out our website (wwwdotingeniusprepdotcom), or shoot me an email at info@ingeniusprepdotcom.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE: Marketing (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Part Time MBA Programs with a Strong Brand [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 12:31
bb wrote:
Take a look here: gmatclubdotcom/forum/us-part-time-mba-rankings-class-profiles-and-comparison-84898

Your GMAT should fit in and PT programs are usually easier to get into since they are geographically limited. I am taking it, you are working remotely, is that correct?

Thank you, this part-time chart is helpful. I currently work remotely, so I will continue in my current role and I have the option to live anywhere in the world.

The chart doesn't include GPA: is there less of an impact on part-time because they focus on current (and continuing) work experience? Also, I notice Chicago doesn't list GMAT average or percentage of students admitted. Are they particularly tight-lipped about their part-time program for any specific reason?

Based on this it looks as though I will want to exceed a 690 on the GMAT to have a solid shot at these schools, does that seem accurate?
Re: Part Time MBA Programs with a Strong Brand   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2013, 12:31