Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part time MBA Rankings, are they real or meaningless?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Part time MBA Rankings, are they real or meaningless? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 06:43
Since there is only one prominent PT MBA rankings, namely BusinessWeek's, I found it reflects little in reality of the reputations of PT MBA programs. For example most of the best PT programs are not ranked, such as PT MBAs at Haas, Kellogg and Stern. My question is (Hjort or other gurus here, you may want to give us your thoughts): does the PT rankings like the one in BW have any meaning for PT MBA applicants at all? or PT MBA rankings should more or less follow the FT MBA or the school rankings? Because after all that's what most PT MBAs are selling their programs on --- its the same degree from the same school.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Part time MBA Rankings, are they real or meaningless? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 07:38
I agree with your comments.

The PT MBA rankings from Bizweek seems relatively meaningless. I was strongly considering applying for UT Austin, but BizWeek ranked them dead last 30th in their rankings.

I called up UT Austin admissions to ask them about this and what they thought about these rankings. The lady on the phone seemed to indicate that the rankings were really skewed as it is based on survey responses. Some of the factors compared like satisfaction is pretty subjective.

I am also really curious what the mods have to say about this.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Part time MBA Rankings, are they real or meaningless? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2008, 08:05
The methodology of BW's PT rankings is much maligned, and hopefully they'll address some of the issues. This was the first time that BW ranked PT programs, and you'll notice that some of the top schools aren't even ranked because they declined to participate.

Historically, for PT rankings, I would venture to say that US News is probably the most prominent ranking organization. Forbes magazine also does a PT ranking, as do a few other national publications.

I've always had the opinion that the reputation of the PT programs is tied much more closely to the reputations of their associated FT programs than anything else. Whether the PT programs deserve the reputations is another story...
Re: Part time MBA Rankings, are they real or meaningless?   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2008, 08:05