Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 06:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

part time MBA vs full time MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
part time MBA vs full time MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 09:14
I am in a unique situation and I am sure that there are several others here who must have crossed the same path.

So hoping some one will respond to this.

Currently I am working full time as a Tech Consultant at a software firm and have almost 10 years of experience with MS computer science degree here.
I like to target booth PT for 2014 , so attempting GMAT this December. I am on H1B visa and am hoping to get green card some time next year or the following.

I have been reading that PT students at Booth will not have access to the most of resources that FT students have. The most important thing for me here is recruiting events/networking events at any school while I do my MBA.

Due to this, I have been debating whether I should go for PT or not?. Also I need to switch to student visa at this juncture if I decide to go to FT.
The other problem I see or heard is that I can be turned down if I am targeting top 5 at my age (34 by next year).

Is it possible half through to switch to FT after starting PT at booth?. If I cannot take advantage of on campus recruiting , what good does PT MBA do I wonder?.

At the end of the day, my aim is to switch from technical engineering position to Strategy in the same field like product management, technical strategy, business development ..etc. If at all possible my dream is start my own tech company some day.

I read some where on this forum about PT vs FT at booth and got alarmed. Can some one shed some light on these questions?.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: part time MBA vs full time MBA [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 15:27
You can't formally switch from the PT program to FT. However, on campus recruiting for FULL-TIME employment is available for PT students. What is limited to FT students is internship recruiting. However, I know a PT student who was able to source his own summer internship. Hit me up on PM and I'll see if I can put you in touch with him if you have questions.

Also, being 34 won't prohibit you from getting into a top 5 MBA program. I know several over 30 applicants who did just fine (including me).

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: part time MBA vs full time MBA   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2013, 15:27