Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time programs in California

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2012, 20:47
Howdy!

I’m considering applying to *part-time* programs (Fall 2013). I took the GMAT a couple months ago and scored 700.
I’m a software professional with 5 years of experience. Post-MBA, I intend to continue working in tech.
My options after graduation:
- Advance into Executive Management and lead teams.
- Product Management (tech)
- Business Development (tech)

I live in SF/Bay Area and was considering UC Berkeley(Haas), UCLA (Anderson), USC (Marshall) and Santa Clara University(Leavey)

Haas is my first choice. I understand that it's very competitive to get in.
I’m not sure if it’s worth travelling to LA on weekends(for UCLA/USC) or just enroll at local Santa Clara (Leavey) if I get in. I’m asking because I don’t plan to do a career shift (e.g. finance, consulting, etc.) I know Product Managers and General Managers in my company who have graduated from Leavey and they seem to be doing well. My concern is that Leavey is ranked very low. In fact, this year, it slipped to #41. Does anyone know why it plummeted?

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
Rohit
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 13:58
Just FYI, Anderson and Marshall has weekend classes only for the first year. I believe electives will take place on weekdays or whenever they are scheduled.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 23

Re: Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2012, 17:49
Are you sure about Anderson? I was told electives are offered at Marshall on weekdays by someone currently enrolled at Andersons's FEMBA. But they did not mention about the electives at Anderson so I assumed they must be offered on weekdays as well.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 3

Re: Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2012, 13:39
This post received
KUDOS
rohitbizschool wrote:
Are you sure about Anderson? I was told electives are offered at Marshall on weekdays by someone currently enrolled at Andersons's FEMBA. But they did not mention about the electives at Anderson so I assumed they must be offered on weekdays as well.

There are definitely plenty of weekend electives at Anderson. I believe you can browse the class schedules on the registrar website. Obviously not every single elective will be available on Saturday, but there should be a lot.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2012, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
rohitbizschool,

Forte Forum will be in San Francisco on August 29 and you should be able to meet the FEMBA admissions staff there. Check out:

http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/x19686.xml
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 5

Re: Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 00:27
This post received
KUDOS
691 was the mean for Haas this year so you're slightly above in that regard. If you come from an over represented demographic (think male Indian Engineer) you're definitely going to have some competition.

I do want to add, if you did decide to pursue a change of career, Haas has some great opportunities to get into IB and Consulting even for part-time students. While you'll need to quit your full-time job after your second year, the program office has a pretty rigorous program to help you make the transition.

UCLA also has the flex part-time MBA program with some of the classes online (hopefully I'm not completely mistaken here). While I don't know the full details, that may be a good option for you.

As far as career progression is concerned, an MBA from a prestigious program will only help you get the interview. Landing the job and working your way up the corporate ladder is 100% on you. I work for a very large organization and I've met plenty of people from lower ranked schools who greatly excel at their job. I've also met plenty of people from top schools who do not. It's what you do with your knowledge that determines how successful you become - hopefully this sentence doesn't come across as too cliche :wink: .

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Part Time programs in California [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2012, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
GZR4DR wrote:
I do want to add, if you did decide to pursue a change of career, Haas has some great opportunities to get into IB and Consulting even for part-time students. While you'll need to quit your full-time job after your second year, the program office has a pretty rigorous program to help you make the transition.

UCLA also has the flex part-time MBA program with some of the classes online (hopefully I'm not completely mistaken here). While I don't know the full details, that may be a good option for you.

At UCLA FEMBA I have met quite a few drastic career switchers who have quit their full time jobs to get internships. I'm not sure what they do after the internship is over, before graduation.

UCLA Flex is half online half on campus, I believe they meet one weekend a month.
Re: Part Time programs in California   [#permalink] 07 Nov 2012, 09:20