Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 17:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Part Time vs Full Time MBA Acceptance Standards

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Part Time vs Full Time MBA Acceptance Standards [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 15:50
Hello,

Last edited by Fred452 on 08 Oct 2013, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Statistics, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 11

Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA Acceptance Standards [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 16:38
This post received
KUDOS
esteb382 wrote:
1. Are Part-Time programs really that much easier to get into, or are Acceptance Rates higher for Part-Time Applicants largely due to the average applicant being more qualified?

I think it largely depends on the applicant pool. A full time program will attract many people from around the country (or even the world) whereas a part-time program will attract applications from the area/region (since they will most likely live within a few hours drive). Because of that difference, the full-time program will have higher average GMAT and GPA because the adcoms can be more selective. But with the part-time program you'll have a smaller pool and probably lower average GMAT/GPA.

esteb382 wrote:
2. If Part-Time programs really are vastly easier to get into, why don't more applicants go the Part-Time route?

What to do you want to do with your MBA? Are you a career changer (i.e. engineer to private equity)? If so, you want to go full time so you can get the all-important internship. Without it, such transitions are near impossible.

Or perhaps you would just like to make that leap into the management ranks, but stay within your industry and function? Then a PT program would work since you can get more experience from still working, and learn all of what the MBA offers.

Also, depending on the school, they may not let PT students participate in recruiting events for full time positions. So if you do want to find a new job post-MBA, it's in your interests to go full time. Your target schools should have this sort of information made available online or would be happy to answer any questions via email or information session.

Hope this helps. I look forward to others' input as well.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA Acceptance Standards [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 17:28
Thanks for your response, it was very beneficial. My post-undergrad work experience so far has been as a business intern at a Fortune 100 entertainment co. and as a founder of a commercial entertainment web site start up. I am looking to get into Financial Analytics so my goal for an MBA is somewhat of a career change. Ideally I would work full time time while pursuing a part-time MBA and then acquire my desired position in Financial Analytics upon graduation.

Despite the restrictions in recruiting opportunities for part-timers, with my brief of work experience and lackluster GPA I don't believe a top Full Time Program is currently realistic. A Top 20-40 Part-Time MBA Program with limited campus recruiting opportunities vs. a Mid-Bottom Tier Full Time Program with full campus recruiting opportunities are trade-offs that will potentially have to be considered. Thanks Again.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [1] , given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: Part Time vs Full Time MBA Acceptance Standards [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2013, 22:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Fred452 wrote:
Hello,

As a potential MBA applicant with a 3.0 Undergrad GPA and little work experience (18 months), I have been looking at MBA Admissions statistics and averages to find a Top Program that I could have a good chance of being admitted to. From my basic research, I have found there is a vast difference in acceptance rates and GMAT scores for Part-Time and Full-Time Programs. Some top 50 part time programs Wake Forest U (94.9%), University of Iowa (91.4%), and Clemson University (95.1%) even near 100% acceptance rates (data from US News & World Report Best Graduate Schools 2014 Edition).

This information has me pondering two questions that I would love to gain more insight on:

1. Are Part-Time programs really that much easier to get into, or are Acceptance Rates higher for Part-Time Applicants largely due to the average applicant being more qualified?

2. If Part-Time programs really are vastly easier to get into, why don't more applicants go the Part-Time route?

I know these seem like very basic questions, but I have yet to find a concrete answer for this matter. Any insight would be extremely helpful, Thank you.

1. Part-time programs are easier to get into.
2. Part-time programs are harder to complete. It's a real grind. Also, they are more appropriate for career enhancers, than career changers.

For more info, please see http://blog.accepted.com/2011/03/03/so- ... -decision/ .

Best,
Linda

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog