Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 20:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Partner Club

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: BOOTH, KELLOGG, INSEAD
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Partner Club [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 06:01
Hello,

I am living in France and planning to apply to several US schools.

The choice of the school is highly dependent on the effectiveness of the partner club, as my wife and I want her to find a work quickly after we settle.

Can the following schools help her to find a job before her arrival in the US, or can they help her getting a pemit visa once she is in the US :

Harvard
Wharton
Booth
Kellogg
Columbia
Stern

More broadly, how efficient are the partner clubs to help the partner find a job ?

Thanks in advance for helping me.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross 2010
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [3] , given: 1

Re: Partner Club [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 07:08
This post received
KUDOS
I wouldn't count on your wife finding a job in the US. The partner clubs at schools should certainly be able to make some suggestions, but won't really have any pull in her getting sponsorship. It also depends on what kind of a job she is looking for. The partner clubs likely have knowledge of jobs on campus which likely wouldn't hire internationals. She would have to find a company that would be willing to sponsor a VISA for her which is becoming more and more difficult. Anything is possible I just wouldn't count on it.
Intern
Intern

Re: Partner Club [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 08:19
Thanks a lot for your answer Skaballet.

I had heard that Wharton's support is strong; for the other ones I had no idea but it seems that it will be very tough. She is a brand manager in a FMCG company btw.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 17

Re: Partner Club [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 12:48
This post received
KUDOS
Ekleptik wrote:
Thanks a lot for your answer Skaballet.

I had heard that Wharton's support is strong; for the other ones I had no idea but it seems that it will be very tough. She is a brand manager in a FMCG company btw.

From what I know of the Kellogg JV club (for partners of students), it's like skaballet said: they can give support and help with suggestions on how to find jobs, but don't really have any influence on hiring decisions or visa sponsorships. Also, Kellogg's career office does not provide support for JVs.

A brand management position is going to be particularly tricky. A lot of US consumer companies don't like hiring internationals into brand management positions because they have concerns about how well the person understands US culture and, as a result, how effective they'll be in selling to US consumers.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Partner Club [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 21:45
Thanks for your answer Jerz.

Current Student
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 5

Re: Partner Club [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 07:16
any way she can move internally within her company to the US? if she's in a senior position at a big company, they're usually good about being supportive of such moves. probably worth trying.

Oxford Round 1 - interview invite 10/30/09, admit 12/11/09, ATTENDING 2010

My Road to Oxford and INSEAD http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-road-to-oxford-sbs-and-insead-89413.html#p676253

Intern
Intern

Re: Partner Club [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 08:34
Yes, this is an option we have considered, but it means we have to narrow the shortlist to only Booth and Kellogg, because her company is near Chicago.

Re: Partner Club   [#permalink] 27 May 2010, 08:34