Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Partners at B School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.71
WE: Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2013, 20:10
My boyfriend's moving to Ann Arbor with me. He wants to make a pretty massive career switch to engineering, and since he doesn't have the academic background to get into an engineering program, he'll be signing up at Washtenaw to get his basics done. Luckily, he likes the cold and is into A2's small town vibe. I don't see him joining the Partners Club, but I hope I find other ways to integrate him into the Ross and School of Natural Resources communities. Good luck to us all!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Insurance)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 09:00
Hey all!!

Has anyone tried spending the first year in b-school alone? And meeting once a month or so, and then spending the second year together?

Did that work/not work for anyone?

Thanks
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2013, 09:28
lololol650 wrote:
Hey all!!

Has anyone tried spending the first year in b-school alone? And meeting once a month or so, and then spending the second year together?

Did that work/not work for anyone?

Thanks

That’s pretty much what the wife and I are planning. Seeing each other once a month, and spending breaks together. I'll report back on how it goes...

Our plan right now (subject to change)
Early Aug, she helps me move, takes off a week from work to hang out with me and meet people
Mid Sept, She'll fly in for a long weekend (fly in Wed pm after work, work from home thur take off fri, fly home Monday am before work.)
Mid Oct She'll fly in for same type of long weekend
End oct/Early Nov, She'll fly in for Halloween if possible (Halloween in B-school, I'm assuming good times)
Late Nov - Thanksgiving break, I go to her, and we go to family and such
Mid Dec-Mid Jan - Winter break, I go to her, we spend that time together

Well that's all we have planned so far... so as you can see, in the fall semester we'll see each other a good amount. I think its doable, tough sure, but doable
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 128

Premium Member
Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 09:43
I'm curious, why have you both decided to pursue an MBA away from your SO? I've only been considering school locations where I think my wife would be able to find a job (aka not Ithica!). Is this a mistake and should I broaden my search?

Could someone also help explain Partner Clubs and what goes on in it? They are usually run by partners and are for the partners? Or are they for the couple? What happens if you have kids... are they welcome to partner clubs?

And lastly, how the heck do you even commute to SF from NH? Crappy thing about New Haven is that there are no airports nearby!

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 326 [0], given: 108

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2013, 16:13
farful wrote:
I'm curious, why have you both decided to pursue an MBA away from your SO? I've only been considering school locations where I think my wife would be able to find a job (aka not Ithica!). Is this a mistake and should I broaden my search?

Could someone also help explain Partner Clubs and what goes on in it? They are usually run by partners and are for the partners? Or are they for the couple? What happens if you have kids... are they welcome to partner clubs?

And lastly, how the heck do you even commute to SF from NH? Crappy thing about New Haven is that there are no airports nearby!

This is how I started too... But to be honest, I'm happy my wife didnt come.... I'd never see her anyway. She would have uprooted her life for around a year and a half just to move again once I'm done... Sure if you end up in a place like NY, Boston or Chicago, maybe you'll stick around post MBA, but maybe not...

IDK, being away from the wife isnt easy at all... but it's not as hard as you may think. With that being said, I can't wait for winter break so I can see her every day.

The SF to NH thing... IDK how they do it, hell Ithaca to Boston is annoying enough.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2013, 12:10
He finds it annoying, but it's actually a pretty good arrangement. He is here and kind of isolated and then goes back to SF for a week and is reminded of why working from home near me is the best. :)

I wish there was a closer airport though...

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Current Student
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 5

Re: Partners at B School [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2013, 05:08
I spent the first half of fall semester alone and it was a good trade off. First year core courses were quite intensive and there was lots of team work. Not to mention extracurriculars started for me at this point. It was great to have the extra time to spend preparing for class.

From Bench to Board: My transition from a non-traditional background into business

Follow @StevenMaBio on Twitter

Re: Partners at B School   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2013, 05:08