Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: parttime or fulltime Masters in Finance for a career switch? worth it? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Language skills could help in some roles/situations, interpersonal skills could be transferable, as well.

It might help to research on the placement statistics of the school, did previous graduates who were from non-finance related roles successfully make the jump to your desired jobs? Knowing these and connecting with them or from people in your target roles could give you a better idea if the program is the right one for you.

Wish you all the best!
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
parttime or fulltime Masters in Finance for a career switch? worth it? [#permalink]
iliavko,
It sounds like the Portuguese program may not be appropriate for you. This does not mean that you can't succeed in it academically and I see the value of prepping for the CFA while earning a master's (though of course you can prep for the CFA on your own). However, I question that long-term value of a M.Fin. from a non-elite Portugal program unless your career goals are Iberia-focused. So don't expect this degree to help you open many doors professionally; it's purpose is building your skills and giving you credentials. Network as much as you can on your own starting now to optimize the chances of making a career switch into finance.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, https://www.admitify.com/outcomes

iliavko wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have a question about Masters in Finance programs.

I have no academic background directly related to Finance, I studied hospitality management and now I want a creer switch, so
I just got accepted into a Masters in Finance program, it's tought in a good university in Portugal and it's goal is to archieve CFA accreditation.

The question is that the program is taught only twice a week, 6hours\week. So it's basically designed for people who already work in the industry, so they don't have to stop their jobs to take the masters. It happens that I don't work in the industry and I don't have any experience in Finance, so do you think this kind of program is appropriate for me?
Or maybe it would be better to try enrolling in a "regular" full-time program? Are full-time programs better percieved by employers?

On the other hand with this program I could find a job and start gaining experience right now, without having to wait 1.5 years till I finish (I am 29 years old btw, so age + lack of experience is worring me) Plus if I forgo this chance and risk getting into a full-time program in another University\country, I would have to drastically improve my GMAT and maybe even with that I might not be accepted, since my undergrad is kinda crappy.

What are your thoughts on this?

I really appreciate your time! Thanks a lot in advance!
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: parttime or fulltime Masters in Finance for a career switch? worth it? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Just wanted to chime in that, the program does not seem well aligned for your skillset/profile. I would reach out to the school and learn more about if there is an opportunity for help in immediate placement within the industry, even if it is in an internship capacity. A FTMBA program is better equipped to help you make this type of career transition
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
parttime or fulltime Masters in Finance for a career switch? worth it? [#permalink]
Thank you very much for your replies!

The information you have provided me with is very important.

You see, the problem here is that with my academic profile I can't compete for the top programs.

I have a chance of getting accepted into a FT Msc Finance program here in Portugal, but the University that lectures it is not elite, not even close to that.

As another option, I can refuse this program offer (the part-time one) and try to compete for 100-200th Fulltime programs. But I would have to drastically improve my GMAT score and it would be pretty much the only thing I have in my application. I have a GPA of like 2.5, Hospitality management, so not very competetive.

Do you think a very good GMAT could help me out for 100-200 programs? Maybe 50-100? Do you think that a fulltime program is the way to go for me?
I am all in favor of a FT program, but I am beingrealistic here. I have this opportunity now and risking it to get into a better program with my weak bacjground is a huge risk. Would you agree? Or I am underconfident here?

If I refuse this offer and then fail to enter programs starting fall 2016, I will have to wait for a year and apply for 2017-2018 programs. And I would be 31 years old by that time..

I am not considering MBA's because I see it as a program that requieres management experience and qualifications in the industry. So I don't see how I fit in because I have none of those. Msc Finance seems a good way of earning skills to get into the industry and then I would consider MBA. I am wrong about this?

Thank you so much for your counseling!
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yes a very strong GMAT can have you competitive for a top 100 program. A lot of the more regional MBA programs are more lenient with red flags in a profile. Rule of thumb is the lower the GPA the higher the GMAT score needs to be to counterbalance this
GMAT Club Bot