Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 23:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Partying In B-School

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Partying In B-School [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 06:31
When I visited MIT the students I was hanging out with said they party with their classmates like four nights a week. Of course this was in October and these were first-years so maybe this was just like the first month back at school as an undergrad when courses aren't too heavy yet and everyone is giddy to be back.

What do you guys hear from your b-school friends? How much partying? My friend at HBS seems to be boozing it up like five nights a week (and I'm not talking about ice luges and beer funnels -- more like guzzling martinis at nice restaurants, or hitting up a lounge after some sort of off-campus recruiting event, you know, mature partying).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 06:58
If you call drinking some beer in a bar with friends partying, yeah you will party your ass in B-School.

I think party times are over man.
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Partying In B-School [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 07:17
johnnyx9 wrote:
When I visited MIT the students I was hanging out with said they party with their classmates like four nights a week. Of course this was in October and these were first-years so maybe this was just like the first month back at school as an undergrad when courses aren't too heavy yet and everyone is giddy to be back.

What do you guys hear from your b-school friends? How much partying? My friend at HBS seems to be boozing it up like five nights a week (and I'm not talking about ice luges and beer funnels -- more like guzzling martinis at nice restaurants, or hitting up a lounge after some sort of off-campus recruiting event, you know, mature partying).

I was contacting a Tuck alumnus and he told me that it was one of the things he disliked about school: a certain percentage of students (usually not married) who drank and partied profusely, aiming to relieve their college days.

As my friend from Chicago say, you may party as muc as you like, provided you have the money to do so.

Well, this is not my idea of spending time at the b-school.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against a glass of beer with friends at a bar now and then :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Partying In B-School [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 07:20
helg wrote:
Disclaimer: I have nothing against a glass of beer with friends at a bar now and then :)

Hey, me too!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 07:43
All my friends that went to Dartmouth joke that there's nothing to do up there but drink.

The students I was referring to who said that they party four nights a week weren't talking about a casual beer or two after class, they were talking about late nights and hangovers.

Not my idea of how I want to spend my time in school either (at least not four nights a week) but I thought it was interesting to hear.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 07:54
I'm not a big drinker... but as a single 26yr old male... I'd hope there might be some female opps at b-school. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 08:52
I like partying as much as the next guy (as my 2.8 GPA can attest) but i'm not too keen on the idea of dealing with hangovers almost every school day.

There's nothing wrong with going out every now and then or on the weekends, but regularly having all-night benders on week nights seems extremely immature for a b-school student.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 09:30
I've become one of those repsonsible drinkers. I go out for a beer or two, but the whole bar crawl till 2am thing - I haven't done that in years. I imagine that, for me, TNDC and LPF will be sufficient.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 09:44
Mark4124,

I'm not single, but if I was, I bet I'd be really psyched about school for that reason. I guess I'll have to live vicariously through my classmates and their gossip about all the funny business that goes down!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2007, 10:46
Single or married, studios or party-animal, you will find like-minded students in your school. I think that’s the brilliant thing about MAB schools: everyone really does what they want to do, and they are good at it.

I have spoken with quite a few students in Wharton and Columbia and you get an excellent mix. There are students who party their ass off and still do good at school, while others are more in student club/networking scene.

I am looking forward to both. I think first year is going to be crazy for everyone, hence not party as hard. But the second year is much easier....hence ample of time to tear it up!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Partying In B-School [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 01:57
helg wrote:
I was contacting a Tuck alumnus and he told me that it was one of the things he disliked about school: a certain percentage of students (usually not married) who drank and partied profusely, aiming to relieve their college days.

Whether socializing is good is subjective. One reason I chose to apply for full-time MBA is the networking opportunity that the program provides. By socializing, I'm building a relationship that will (hopefully) last long. While I believe that what you learn academically in B-School is important and the grade you get in the B-School will help you get that first job (if the school doesn't have GND), I also believe that networking with your classmates will help your career in the long run. Maintaining an effective balance is one thing that makes a student a successful business person.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Partying In B-School [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 04:18
batwings wrote:
helg wrote:

Whether socializing is good is subjective. One reason I chose to apply for full-time MBA is the networking opportunity that the program provides. By socializing, I'm building a relationship that will (hopefully) last long. While I believe that what you learn academically in B-School is important and the grade you get in the B-School will help you get that first job (if the school doesn't have GND), I also believe that networking with your classmates will help your career in the long run. Maintaining an effective balance is one thing that makes a student a successful business person.

I'm too drunk to understand what yure talkn baout. Will you be mah friend?
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Partying In B-School [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 08:44
rhyme wrote:
I'm too drunk to understand what yure talkn baout. Will you be mah friend?

:lol: ooo i like the sarcasm my friend
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 08:55
From what I hear, most classes are held on Mon~Thursdays leaving Friday afternoon open for sundowners.
  [#permalink] 27 Jan 2007, 08:55