Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 366 [0], given: 182

Re: Passage In England the burden of history weighs heavily on [#permalink] New post 13 Mar 2013, 19:59
tgt2012 wrote:
1.E
2.C
3.b
4a
5b
6b
7d
8e

My answers ...
Please let me know the accuracy of them ...
Thanks in advance :)

I have updated the OAs. Few of the answers are incorrect, but review them thoroughly. May be give a second pass through the passage before you review the your answers. Good luck!

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 06:34
Got 2/8 in 18 minutes.

Very tough passage and very confusing options
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 22

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2013, 05:16
Hi PraPon,
I picked E for Q-8.In the passage, the author does suggest that modern academic theories lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy(stated as the answer for Q-7). This means that the author advocates a traditional school of thought while criticizing a new trend(choice E in Q-8).Correct me if I am wrong.Also the problem I had with choice A for Q-8 is that I couldn't understand as to what was the paradoxical situation discussed in the passage. Please help me on this one.
Thanks for posting such a tough passage.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 366 [1] , given: 182

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 16:04
This post received
KUDOS
madhavgmat wrote:
Hi PraPon,
I picked E for Q-8.In the passage, the author does suggest that modern academic theories lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy(stated as the answer for Q-7). This means that the author advocates a traditional school of thought while criticizing a new trend(choice E in Q-8).Correct me if I am wrong.Also the problem I had with choice A for Q-8 is that I couldn't understand as to what was the paradoxical situation discussed in the passage. Please help me on this one.

Here is the explanation for the Q8:
The purpose of the passage was very descriptive. The author simply introduced the odd way in which common law is studied and offered one historian’s opinion on how to better study it. Simply
put, that’s answer choice (A).
(B) The passage talks about studying the history of common law, but it’s focused primarily on entirely modern theories of study. There is no chronology presented.
(C) We only get one historian’s ideas, Goodrich’s, and we’re given no idea of how influential he is. His ongoing work is Out of Scope.
(D) The passage is entirely concerned with modern academic study. Past theories are Out of Scope.
(E) If the author advocated anything, it would be Goodrich’s new theory, not the traditional school of thought. Even still, Goodrich’s theory is just a suggestion, not necessarily a new “trend.”

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Expert Post
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 2601 [0], given: 695

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 16:59
Expert's post
PraPon wrote:
madhavgmat wrote:
Hi PraPon,

Here is the explanation for the Q8:
The purpose of the passage was very descriptive. The author simply introduced the odd way in which common law is studied and offered one historian’s opinion on how to better study it. Simply
put, that’s answer choice (A).
(B) The passage talks about studying the history of common law, but it’s focused primarily on entirely modern theories of study. There is no chronology presented.
(C) We only get one historian’s ideas, Goodrich’s, and we’re given no idea of how influential he is. His ongoing work is Out of Scope.
(D) The passage is entirely concerned with modern academic study. Past theories are Out of Scope.
(E) If the author advocated anything, it would be Goodrich’s new theory, not the traditional school of thought. Even still, Goodrich’s theory is just a suggestion, not necessarily a new “trend.”

I like your signature.............:) cool + one

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 01:11
for third although i marked correctly C but can you help to eliminate A its almost similar

and 4th i do not understand at all . remaining i got correct.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 55

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 02:42
Regarding Question 5:

Quote:
Which one of the following best defines the word “political” as it is used in the second paragraph of the passage?
OA: (D) having to do with the maintenance of an institution’s effectiveness

I don't really see how effectiveness is mentioned in the paragraph. I suspect that it refers to the bolded paragraph below!? However in this case, I'd choose C as the answer.

Quote:
In political terms, believing in the logic of law is a
necessary part of believing in its fairness; even if
history shows the legal tradition to be far from
unitary and seldom logical, the prestige of the legal
(35) institution requires that jurisprudence treat the
tradition as if it were, in essence, the application of
known rules to objectively determined facts. To
suggest otherwise would be dispiriting for the student
and demoralizing for the public.

(C) having to do with the maintenance of ethical standards between professions and the citizenry
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 20:29
I got 5/8 correct...however,It seemed a lot easier to me...Could have done better if not felt sleepy ........any one has any idea how to tackle inference question in R.C.?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 57

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 23:16
Awesome passage, I got just 1 correct :(

Is this a GMAT source or some other source? Its a really dense passage.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Passage In England the burden of history weighs heavily on [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2013, 19:48
tgt2012 wrote:
1.E
2.C
3.b
4a
5b
6b
7d
8e

My answers ...

Can anyone explain:
why E is wrong in 2 - is it because it is a very strong remark?
2. It can be inferred that the author of the passage believes which one of the following about the history of law in relation to modern jurisprudence?
(A) Modern jurisprudence misinterprets the nature of the legal tradition.
(B) The history of law proves the original forms of common law to be antiquated and irrelevant to modern jurisprudence.
(C) The history of law, if it is to be made applicable to modern jurisprudence, is best studied as a system of rules rather than as a literary text.
(D) Mainstream theories of modern jurisprudence overlook the order and coherence inherent in legal history.
(E) Mainstream theories of modern jurisprudence, by and large devoid of a sense of legal history, are unnecessarily dispiriting to students and the public alike. => too strong

where is the paradox in 8:
8. The primary purpose of the passage is to
(A) explain a paradoxical situation and discuss a new view of the situation
(B) supply a chronological summary of the history of an idea
(C) trace the ideas of an influential theorist and evaluate the theorist’s ongoing work
(D) contrast the legal theories of past eras with those of today and suggest how these theories should be studied
(E) advocate a traditional school of thought while criticizing a new trend
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: IE '15
GPA: 3.51

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 05:32
Hello,
About question 8. I can't see the paradox in the para. Can somebody please help me with that?
Thanks
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 22

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 20:48
1. С
2. E
3. C
4. A
5. D
6. B
7. C
8. D
My answers. Please, give the link to OA. Many thanks for tough question!
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 6

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 15:17
Expert's post
When it comes to tough RC the goal is to simply the passage. We use the gmatpill strategy of cutting the fluff. Take a long sentence, cross out in your head the descriptive words leaving only the core part of the sentence. Use that to comprehend what's going on with long sentences. Give it a try.

Posted from my mobile device Image

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 10

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 19:52
This post received
KUDOS
jaskarannagra wrote:
Hello,
About question 8. I can't see the paradox in the para. Can somebody please help me with that?
Thanks

A paradoxical situation is one in which there are opposing factors in the situation.

Consider this sentence in the second para:

"those interpretive theories that do acknowledge the antiquity of common law ignore the practical contemporary
significance of its historical forms. "

i..e, these theorists acknowledge a fact but act in a way not acknowledging it. That is if the common law is acknowledged to have historical roots how can the roots be ignored.

That is the paradox.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 7

Re: Passage In England the burden of history weighs heavily on [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 23:26
cumulonimbus wrote:
tgt2012 wrote:
1.E
2.C
3.b
4a
5b
6b
7d
8e

My answers ...

Can anyone explain:
2. It can be inferred that the author of the passage believes which one of the following about the history of law in relation to modern jurisprudence?
(B) The history of law proves the original forms of common law to be antiquated and irrelevant to modern jurisprudence.
(C) The history of law, if it is to be made applicable to modern jurisprudence, is best studied as a system of rules rather than as a literary text.
(D) Mainstream theories of modern jurisprudence overlook the order and coherence inherent in legal history.
(E) Mainstream theories of modern jurisprudence, by and large devoid of a sense of legal history, are unnecessarily dispiriting to students and the public alike. => too strong

(C) trace the ideas of an influential theorist and evaluate the theorist’s ongoing work
(D) contrast the legal theories of past eras with those of today and suggest how these theories should be studied

completely agree ... Can anyone explain q4 also?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: Passage In England the burden of history weighs heavily on [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 00:13
roopika2990 wrote:
cumulonimbus wrote:
tgt2012 wrote:
1.E
2.C
3.b
4a
5b
6b
7d
8e

My answers ...

Can anyone explain:

completely agree ... Can anyone explain q4 also?

Hi Roopika,

In the last para, see this:

"Legal historian Peter Goodrich has argued, however, that common law is most fruitfully studied as a continually developing tradition rather than as a set of rules. Taking his cue from the study of literature, Goodrich sees common law as a sort of
(45) literary text, with history and tradition serving as the text’s narrative development"{
In the same para:

"The concept of tradition, for Goodrich, implies not only the preservation and transmission of existing forms, but also the continuous rewriting of those forms to adapt them to contemporary legal circumstances."

So for question 4, choice E best fits as the answer.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1181

Re: Passage In England the burden of history weighs heavily on [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 02:40
PraPon wrote:
ankitD wrote:
Hi PraPon,

Can you explain the second question. How did we come to the answer choice A

Thanks

Explanation for Question2:
When inference questions inquire about the author’s beliefs, look for Opinion keywords. Use your Roadmap to establish the context of this question. Where is the author’s opinion on how common law should be understood? Right at the end of the first paragraph, he says that to be properly understood, we need a “long historical view.” What does the author have to say about the modern
jurisprudential view of the common law? Right at the beginning of paragraph 2, he tells us that this long view is what current legal scholars lack. Put these two statements together and we can make a winning prediction of the correct answer: modern jurisprudence doesn’t properly understand legal history. That’s the answer (A).

Despite reading the above explanation and the appropriate parts of the passage again and again, unable to deduce how choice D can be eliminated, if at all. It sorts of rephrases what the last line of passage 1 and first line of passage 2 says.

Would appreciate help, thanks.

Dream On...

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 1181

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 02:43
PraPon wrote:
Passage

7. Which one of the following best describes the author’s opinion of most modern academic theories of common law?
(A) They are overly detailed and thus stultifying to both the student and the public.
(B) They lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy.
(C) They overemphasize the practical aspects of the common law at the expense of the theoretical.
(D) They excuse students of the law from the study of important legal disputes of the past.
(E) They routinely treat the study of the law as an art rather than as a science.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Let me know if you need explanation for any specific question/OA.

Could someone please provide the OE for question 7 in here? I am unable to phase out choice C as incorrect (neither register why B is correct). Thanks in advance.

Dream On...

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Passage In England the burden of history weighs heavily on [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
akshaychaturvedi007 wrote:
PraPon wrote:
ankitD wrote:
Hi PraPon,

Can you explain the second question. How did we come to the answer choice A

Thanks

Explanation for Question2:
When inference questions inquire about the author’s beliefs, look for Opinion keywords. Use your Roadmap to establish the context of this question. Where is the author’s opinion on how common law should be understood? Right at the end of the first paragraph, he says that to be properly understood, we need a “long historical view.” What does the author have to say about the modern
jurisprudential view of the common law? Right at the beginning of paragraph 2, he tells us that this long view is what current legal scholars lack. Put these two statements together and we can make a winning prediction of the correct answer: modern jurisprudence doesn’t properly understand legal history. That’s the answer (A).

Despite reading the above explanation and the appropriate parts of the passage again and again, unable to deduce how choice D can be eliminated, if at all. It sorts of rephrases what the last line of passage 1 and first line of passage 2 says.

Would appreciate help, thanks.

Hi,

Look at the second para:

In theoretical terms, modern jurisprudence has consistently treated law as a unified system of rules that can be studied at any given moment in time
as a logical whole. The notion of jurisprudence as a system of norms or principles deemphasizes history
in favor of the coherence of a system.

But D exactly says the opposite about modern jurisprudence. So it can be eliminated

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 02:56
This post received
KUDOS
akshaychaturvedi007 wrote:
PraPon wrote:
Passage

7. Which one of the following best describes the author’s opinion of most modern academic theories of common law?
(A) They are overly detailed and thus stultifying to both the student and the public.
(B) They lack an essential dimension that would increase their accuracy.
(C) They overemphasize the practical aspects of the common law at the expense of the theoretical.
(D) They excuse students of the law from the study of important legal disputes of the past.
(E) They routinely treat the study of the law as an art rather than as a science.

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Let me know if you need explanation for any specific question/OA.

Could someone please provide the OE for question 7 in here? I am unable to phase out choice C as incorrect (neither register why B is correct). Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Again look at the second para:

those interpretive theories that do acknowledge the antiquity of common law ignore the practical contemporary
significance of its historical forms.
The reasons for this omission are partly theoretical and partly political.

The underlined part shows why choice B is correct. Also nowhere in the passage does the author say that the practical aspects are overemphasized at the expense of the theoretical ones. He only talks about the practical and theoretical aspects as reasons for omission both of which he says are responsible for the omission.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep

Last edited by SravnaTestPrep on 15 Sep 2013, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Tough RC: In England the burden of history weighs heavily   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2013, 02:56