Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 02:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Passage in the screen shots

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Passage in the screen shots [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 07:54
Passage in the screen shots:
Attachments

p1.png
p1.png [ 104.34 KiB | Viewed 2315 times ]

p2.png
p2.png [ 104.58 KiB | Viewed 2320 times ]

Manager
Manager

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 07:56
Q1.
Attachments

Q1.png
Q1.png [ 74.81 KiB | Viewed 2311 times ]

Manager
Manager

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 07:57
Q2.
Attachments

Q2.png
Q2.png [ 76.29 KiB | Viewed 2314 times ]

Manager
Manager

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2010, 07:57
Q3.
Attachments

Q3.png
Q3.png [ 77.17 KiB | Viewed 2311 times ]

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-15-2011
GPA: 3.71
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 8

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 20:06
I could not get a word of the passage. :(
Thats y i scored so bad in verbal...RC is bad :(
Can somebody pls explain me how to approach to this problem? a problem where u dont understand a word and all the Roman names look alike??

Thanks,
Krishna

Appreciation in KUDOS please!
Knewton Free Test 10/03 - 710 (49/37)
Princeton Free Test 10/08 - 610 (44/31)
Kaplan Test 1- 10/10 - 630
Veritas Prep- 10/11 - 630 (42/37)
MGMAT 1 - 10/12 - 680 (45/34)

Manager
Manager

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2011, 20:41
yeah.. this one was tough. I requested Stuart from Kaplan to help (thats why I posted this), if thats even possible reading something like this...

After many years I have finally gone back to Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco...
If you can read this book while keeping your mind straight... RC will be manageable.. Its amongst the most diff books to read in terms of flow and sentence structure that I have ever come across... Perfect for RC practice
1 KUDOS received
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 0

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2011, 08:54
This post received
KUDOS
This is, admittedly, a difficult passage with some complicated ideas, and the second question posted above is VERY challenging. Full disclosure: as a serious student of classics in college, I've read the Aeneid multiple times and translated most of it from Latin, so I have some unfair familiarity with this topic. Nevertheless, I think there's a straightforward way to get the Main Idea out of this passage, or any similarly complex one, and then be able to approach 2 of the 3 questions here with confidence. Here's how:

First, try to get as much as you can about the topic from the opening of the passage. The first sentence here is VERY confusing, so just focus on the topic. What is the author concerned ABOUT, nevermind his thoughts? "There is a dangerous tendency...to accuse Virgil of...propaganda." So, right away, we know the author is concerned with Virgil and whether or not he's a propagandist. The author thinks he isn't, but many other people think he is: a classic rebutting-the-argument passage. We should expect both sides to be presented, and the author to pick one. How does the author set this up?

The author will convey his structure with keywords. "One must admit..." means we're getting the opposing side. So here we get details about why Virgil might, in fact, be a propagandist. Fine. We don't care so much about what details there are: we just want to know when the author shifts gears. And it comes ... with a big "However," of course, in line 30. We're now told that Aeneas is "problematized" and therefore it's not actually propaganda. Even knowing nothing about literary theory or Roman literature or politics, we now have a basic outline of the passage:

1. Some think that Virgil, in writing the Aeneid, is writing propaganda for Augustus, but...
2. The author thinks that, in fact, there are problems with Aeneas, so it's not propaganda.

From this, the correct answers to both #38 and #41 above become much, much, much clearer. It's not a full enough reading to answer any and all questions right without more deeply reading into the passage ... but, for those of us who would get totally lost and confused on this, this way of getting the main idea can quickly give you some right answers without too much of a time investment, raising your score and confidence alike.

So, when presented with a challenging passage that you can't understand:

1) Figure out what the author is talking ABOUT, before you worry about what the author is saying about this topic.
2) PREDICT how the author might structure his or her argument and look for KEYWORDS to confirm or deny this prediction.
3) Use the STRUCTURE to help prephrase a main idea, and try to read this main idea into any odd Inference questions you come across.

Hope this helps!

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 06:48
Question 40 i.e the second one here, seems to rely on a portion of passage which is not there in the posted images. Or I am totally going bonkers..however on the positive side, I think this RC is not as tough as I have faced so far; well the two questions certainly make it very simple. As for the second, if it is indeed from the passage, then yes this question is probably the toughest I have seen yet.
Manager
Manager
Status: Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Schools: Texas A&M - Mays; PennState - Smeal; Purdue - Krannert; JohnsHopkins - Carey; Vanderbilt - Owen; WakeForest - Babcock; UBC - Sauder
WE 1: Financial Analyst/Financial Management Trainer - BRAC Afghanistan - 13 months
WE 2: Business Proposal Coordinator - MiDS, Inc. (in Kabul, Afghanistan) - 4 Months (did quit the job bcoz of security concerns)
WE 3: Readers For Readers (A Social Impact Generating Organization) - Co-Founder
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 136

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 08:08
Guys! Guys! Guys!

This was the passage that I had to read in my 1st Kaplan CAT. Literally, I was blank after finishing reading it. And, after answering the Qs, I lost my mind for a while (maybe, for a minute or two)!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I never face this kinda passage in my real GMAT. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Virgil's Aeneid [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2011, 17:01
Thanks Adam. I really like your emphasis on structure to delineate the flow of the argument. It fosters the sort of clarity that is crucial to making it through a passage of such complexity. Cheers! (Translated the Aeneid?! That's downright insanity! ;-))
Re: Virgil's Aeneid   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2011, 17:01