Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 11:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Passengers must exit airplanes swiftly after accidents,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Passengers must exit airplanes swiftly after accidents, [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 18:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Passengers must exit airplanes swiftly after accidents, since gases released following accidents are toxic to humans and often explode soon after being released. In order to prevent passenger deaths from gas inhalation, safety officials recommend that passengers be provided with smoke hoods that prevent inhalation of the gases.
Which of the following, if true, constitutes the strongest reason not to require implementation of the safety officials’ recommendation?
(A) Test evacuations showed that putting on the smoke hoods added considerably to the overall time it took passengers to leave the cabin.
(B) Some airlines are unwilling to buy the smoke hoods because they consider them to be prohibitively expensive.
(C) Although the smoke hoods protect passengers from the toxic gases, they can do nothing to prevent the gases from igniting.
(D) Some experienced flyers fail to pay attention to the safety instructions given on every commercial flight before takeoff.
(E) In many airplane accidents, passengers who were able to reach emergency exits were overcome by toxic gases before they could exit the airplane.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 19:29
Going with A here:

"gases released following accidents are toxic to humans and often explode soon after being released"

Shows they don't have much time to get h*ll outta there. Getting blown up is probably a greater health risk than inhaling toxic fumes which forces me to conclude that time is of the essence. => A

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities." - Bruce Lee

VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 20:19
My bet is on A.

Also the masks could be so combursome that passengers cannot walk to the exists after wearing it :dunnow

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."

- Bernard Edmonds

Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 20:34
Why not C guys..

Even after wearing the maskes you cannot prevent the gases from igniting..So what if the passengers are wasting lot of time in that, it would infact be more dangerous as the gases might ignite by then
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 21:01
Hey Andy,
It's not a SC as you mentioned in the subject line. :?

Brajesh
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 21:08
andy_gr8 wrote:
Why not C guys..

Even after wearing the maskes you cannot prevent the gases from igniting..So what if the passengers are wasting lot of time in that, it would infact be more dangerous as the gases might ignite by then

I was leaning towards "C" initially, but I think I want to go with "A"

Here are my reasons :

Arguments states
- Passengers must leave swiftly
- gases released can be toxic to humans
- gases can explode after release

safety official's proposal - provide smoke hoods to prevent inhalation of toxic gas

official's recommendation of hoods is addressing only one part - preventing inhalation. It was not suggeted to protect from explosion

"C" - says- hoods don't help protect from explosion. But they were never recommended for that purpose

A - If the very act of wearing the hood is going to considerably increase the overall time, then, the passengers are not leaving swiftly. There by risking inhalation and/or explosion.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 21:15
Tricky one )))A for me
officials recommend that passengers be provided with smoke hoods that prevent inhalation of the gases. But Test evacuations showed that putting on the smoke hoods added considerably to the overall time it took passengers to leave the cabin.

IE IMBA 2010

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 21:17
andy_gr8 wrote:
Why not C guys..

Although the smoke hoods protect passengers from the toxic gases, they can do nothing to prevent the gases from igniting.

I think here argument doesn't talk about ignition of gases thats why it is wrong.

Guys correct me if I'm wrong
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 00:34
My money on A.

Andy, main concern here to get the passangers swiftly out of the cabin after accident. C is not talking about this.

If a passanger leaves the cabin as soon as possible then he will be saved from both inhalation of gases and explosion of gases.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 06:31
I`ll bet the farm on (A). If the hoods require precious extra minutes (or seconds) to apply, then the death toll from smoke inhalation will inevitably rise. Besides, most people can hold their breath long enough to get near an emergency exit on a commercial jet.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 09:19
A is better because it says that the gas can explode so it is better for passengers to evacute fast rather than fumble to get the mask right for hours.
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 20:34
Good explanation guys...
OA is A...
  [#permalink] 25 Jan 2006, 20:34