Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Past conditional tense usages

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.44
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Past conditional tense usages [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2013, 02:21
Has anyone got any ideas or pointers to materials on how to use past conditional tenses such as:

Past progressive conditional: eg. She might be studying

Past perfect conditional: eg. She might have studied

Past perfect progressive conditional: eg. She might have been studying

Most books/materials talk only so far as present conditional (perfect, progressive, perfect progressive) and may be past conditional but not beyond that.

Appreciate it :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Past conditional tense usages [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 19:46
No takers?

Does anyone know about some good material on how to use conditionals? This topic is confusing the hell out of me - when does one use will, would, might, etc!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 465

Kudos [?]: 1837 [2] , given: 29

Re: Past conditional tense usages [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2013, 14:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
donkadsw wrote:
No takers?
Does anyone know about some good material on how to use conditionals? This topic is confusing the hell out of me - when does one use will, would, might, etc!

Dear donkadsw,
I'm happy to help. :-)

First of all, understand that the distinction between "may" and "might" is so arcane that the GMAT will never test it. I guarantee you will not have to know that distinction on any GMAT problem. Similarly, I guarantee you will not have to know perfect forms of the conditional. It's simply not on the test. Period.

The whole topic of conditionals is somewhat rare, but it could show up on Sentence Correction in simpler tenses. At Magoosh, among our video lessons, in the Verb Form section, we have a lesson explaining all about conditionals. If you really want a thorough treatment to every grammatical structure you do have to know for GMAT SC, I would recommend checking out Magoosh.

Here, for free, is another lesson on another topic, just to give you a sense of them:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/914-the ... rb-mistake

I hope this helps,
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern

Re: Past conditional tense usages [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 21:33
Hi Mike, thank you very much for your reply. My whole question about how one can use various forms of conditionals stems from an explanation to a GMATPrep SC given by a popular prep company. The SC question is below. In order to eliminate (incorrect) answer choice (C) through one of the many errors, the prep company says that usage of "would" is incorrect as the rest of the sentence that follows - as the message is forwarded..- is in present tense. In that case, what I do not understand is how the usage of "might" in the correct answer choice (D) is correct. Could you kindly clarify in light of this question when one could use "would" and "might"?

In a blow to those who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added as the message is forwarded to others or sent back and forth.

(A) who still harbored the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient had added
(B) who had still been harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick for enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might have added
(C) who still were harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick enabling an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person is privy to any comments that a recipient would add
(D) still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges are private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that enables an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person will be privy to any comments that a recipient might add
(E) still harboring the illusion that E-mail exchanges had been private, a watchdog group recently uncovered a trick that will enable an interloper to rig an E-mail message so that this person was privy to any comments that a recipient might add
Re: Past conditional tense usages   [#permalink] 04 Sep 2013, 21:33