Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1145 [24]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Maritime Financial Services
Schools:Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
 Q49  V36 GMAT 2: 720  Q48  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 956 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35
WE:Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Re: Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated [#permalink]
I cant agree with "D" because the argument doesnt talk about "2 processes" at all.

Raw milk drinkers consume the milk as-is - without heating. Since that's the case, there's never a scenario where raw-milk drinkers use "either process alone" - hence wont be put forth as an argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
jeffjose wrote:
I cant agree with "D" because the argument doesnt talk about "2 processes" at all.

Raw milk drinkers consume the milk as-is - without heating. Since that's the case, there's never a scenario where raw-milk drinkers use "either process alone" - hence wont be put forth as an argument.

In my opinion, D is correct because -
1. MOST people who drink milk do not heat at home, so they will not be killing digestive enzymes by heating. This addresses the "beside the point" part of argument.
2. For the SOME people who DO heat milk (because MOST is not = ALL), will be subjecting the milk to 2 processes - pasteurization and heating at home having a dual effect. So, they would rather drink it raw and heat it once. This addresses the "else misleading part" and completes the sentence.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated [#permalink]
Kudos
D) Digestive enzymes will be killed during pasteurisation, but never said that when the pasteurisation mil heated still looses some more healthy elements.

B) It clearly says Pasteurisation does not only kill pathogens, it do other tasks like killing digestive enzymes.

B can be inferred, but D is far of from inference and need to add more to get to D.

IMO B should be the answer.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Kudos
I think the question is very cleverly modeled on the lines of "irradiation of food" question from official guide.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 325
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Education)
Send PM
jeffjose wrote:

Hi JeffJose.

That was my initial thought as well. But look closely at the following sentence from the passage:-

Proponents of pasteurization point out that that pasteurization is still necessary to reduce bacterial contamination, and that heating milk at home also kills beneficial digestive enzymes.

I think the two processes implied here are pasteurization and heating milk at home.

D
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Experts Mahmud6 mikemcgarry GMATNinja please explain this question........I am not able to understand this question at all
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 832 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Send PM
Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated [#permalink]
Kudos
vasuca10 wrote:
Experts Mahmud6 mikemcgarry GMATNinja please explain this question........I am not able to understand this question at all

I will try to help you.

Proponents of pasteurization point out
1. Pasteurization (heating and cooling) is necessary as it reduce bacterial contamination
2. Heating milk at home also kills beneficial digestive enzymes.

Raw milk drinkers argue that this (proponents of pasteurization) argument is
1. Beside the point, i.e., heating is not necessary. How does argument of proponents of pasteurization beside the point of raw milk drinkers? It is beside the point in a way that proponents of pasteurization are saying that heating milk at home also kills beneficial digestive enzymes, but raw milk dinkers are not heating milk at home. So, beneficial digestive enzymes are not killed by raw milk drinkers.

2. Misleading. How does argument of proponents of pasteurization mislead the point of raw milk drinkers? It is misleading in a way that if milk is heated twice, it would destroy more digestive enzymes than either process alone destroys.

A similar question has been discussed here.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts