Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Columbia, INSEAD, RSM, LBS
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 4

Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 12:08
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (02:26) correct 37% (01:18) wrong based on 41 sessions
Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated to a certain temperature and then rapidly cooled, killing pathogens and increasing the milk's shelf life. Recently pasteurization has come under fire because it has been found that during pasteurization many helpful digestive enzymes are destroyed, and many dangerous pathogens, including the MAP bacterial strain, which is linked to Crohn’s disease, are not. Because of this, some people have started drinking ‘raw milk’ milk, which is not pasteurized or otherwise processed. Proponents of pasteurization point out that that pasteurization is still necessary to reduce bacterial contamination, and that heating milk at home also kills beneficial digestive enzymes. Raw milk drinkers argue that this argument is beside the point, since most people who drink milk do not heat it first, or else misleading, since

Which of the following best completes the passage?

A) Many of the proponents of pasteurization are dairy farmers who rely on the increased shelf life of pasteurized milk to
ship their product farther away.
B) It is clear that killing pathogens that may be present in milk is not the only effect of pasteurization.
C) Cooked milk is generally heated to a higher temperature than pasteurized milk is.
D) If milk subject to both processes destroys more digestive enzymes than either process alone, the claim is misleading.
E) Pasteurization serves to ensure a longer shelf life for milk, while heating milk is usually the final step in its preparation.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 8

Re: CR - Pasteurization of milk [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2011, 20:13
We need to provide a premise to support why Raw milk Drinkers think proponent's claim is misleading.
If you look carefully into the argument "proponents point out that that pasteurization is just necessary to reduce bacterial contamination and ignores the fact that pasteurization can Kill beneficial digestive enzymes" (Proponents of pasteurization point out that that pasteurization is still necessary to reduce bacterial contamination,) .Thus the proponents argument could be misleading coz it fails to consider the combined effect (effect of pasteurization + heating milk at home on beneficial digestive enzymes). Thus D
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Pasteurization of milk [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2011, 02:46
I agree, the proponents are simply trying to sidestep the issue that pasteurization can affect beneficial digestive enzymes.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 11

Re: CR - Pasteurization of milk [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 17:39
D
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 109

Re: CR - Pasteurization of milk [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 23:10
+1 D

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 240 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2011, 02:51
D

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

Re: Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 10:59
D
Re: Pasteurization of milk is a process by which milk is heated   [#permalink] 26 Dec 2011, 10:59