Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 61
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 16:27
Hi,

I attempted GMAT for the second time yesterday and scored a pathetic 610 (Q:47, V:28).
In my first attempt I got 640(Q:46, V:32, E:5.5). I don't know what went wrong in the exam.

I was scoring around 700 in almost all my practice tests. I have put in a lot of effort and time in preparing. And for my second attempt I put close to 90% of my time in Verbal preparation. I guess, I just don't do good on the verbal section for some reason.

These are the break-ups of all my practice tests:
MGMAT 1 Q:46 V:41 710
MGMAT 2 Q:47 V:41 720
GMAT Prep 1 Q:48 V:33 660 (with essays)
MGMAT 3 Q:48 V:34 680
MGMAT 4 Q:48 V:44 750
GMAT Prep 2 Q:47 V:35 680 (with essays)
GMAT Prep 1 - Retake Q:49 V:41 740 (with essays. 2 repeat verbal question)
Power Prep 1 Q:48 V:42 730
GMAT Prep 2 - Retake Q:47 V:36 680 (with essays. 1 repeat verbal question)

I used the following materials:
1) OG - 12
2) OG Verbal review
3) MGMAT SC Book
4) MGMAT Number Properties
5) Powerscore CR
6) Kaplan Verba l+ Quant workbook

I'm out of ideas and out of preparation material. And the very fact that I scored lower on my second attempt really frustrates me. I always manage to pull my lowest score on the actual test. I'm totally clueless.

This time on the actual exam I really struggled with the Quant Timing and I had just 10 mins left for the last 11 questions and I still managed to get 47. On the other hand, in verbal I was cruising and I was thinking I'm doing really well. But when I saw a score of 28, I was SHOCKED! I don't understand what's wrong. I'm totally saturated and I feel I can't study anymore. Moreover, I don't really know how to improve.

Did any of you guys face a similar situation?

Thanks for your time!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2010
Posts: 190
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 17:54
looking at the materials used and the verbal score

I suggest the following materials to get:
Powerscore SC
Manhattan RC

Powerscore SC advanatage over the Manhattan SC from what I gather from other people who have both books is that Powerscore SC has a foundation section.

Manhattan RC has excellent strategies on how to tackle Reading Comp.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2008
Posts: 80
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 07:51
Don't get dejected,things do look tough when your real scores don't reflect your preparation levels. May be the panic took its toll on the real day. Take some time off before you decide your next step.

Start with a fresh mind and check if your previous score (in spite of a 640) is sufficient for the target schools. In case you have made up your mind for attempt 3 ensure a greater focus on your test taking strategy. Before moving onto that I suggest list and down and analyze all the points on why you couldn't perform on the test day..were you burned out too soon, as you mentioned mismanaged the timings, what pulled back your pace...etc.

That may not just have been your best test day...
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 61
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 08:19
Hi sh00nya,

Thanks for your support!

I have been thinking hard for the past couple of days about the whole test experience. Timing is an issue, but then I think everybody feels the timing pressure. And I was not burned out. I was feeling little nervous in the verbal section, but definitely not panicking. I remember the 3rd RC was pretty tough and long and it took me a while to understand it and tackle the questions. I lost some time, but was able to makeup. It could be possible that I got many questions in that RC wrong and since I had to makeup some time, I might have made some stupid mistakes in the later questions. But I'm not sure if this was the reason for the poor score.

I feel bored to study the same stuff again(for the 3rd time). I was thinking of joining some online course(knewton/manhattan gmat) etc. There are 2 reasons for this - first I am out of questions. If the do the same practice questions again, I would remember many of them, so no point doing those questions. These courses will provide me with new questions. Secondly, I feel if I take a class, then probably I will be able to concentrate better.

I feel I should not take a long break as the concepts are fresh in my mind, right now. So I should join a class after 1 week break. If I take longer, I might forget stuff and will have to start from the beginning.

Any thoughts!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Mar 2010
Posts: 175
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 09:04
Rainmaker123, Oh, man, I've been there 2 weeks ago, thinking exactly the same thing.

On my way home, I mumbled these words like 1,000 times -- This Doesn't Make Any F***ing Sense @.@

I thought I aced the V, but the screen said otherwise. I thought Pearson messed up =/ but as the time goes, I learned to accept the reality.

I, too, understand the danger of "running out of questions". I wasted my OG 12 book, thinking that just solving the problems will make me prepared. At this point, for Q, I was lucky enough to get the 1st edition of OG Q book for $5. I'm seeking the same for V, but not sure of my chance.

I think it's always good to make your foundation solid, and that's what I'm doing. You will need to finish the practice Qs no matter what, but solving them at your highest knowledge level will give you the most return. GMAT ain't SAT. Pearson is evil :P
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Mesmerized
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 181
Location: UAE, Dubai
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 11:13
rainmaker123 wrote:
Hi,

I attempted GMAT for the second time yesterday and scored a pathetic 610 (Q:47, V:28).
In my first attempt I got 640(Q:46, V:32, E:5.5). I don't know what went wrong in the exam.

I was scoring around 700 in almost all my practice tests. I have put in a lot of effort and time in preparing. And for my second attempt I put close to 90% of my time in Verbal preparation. I guess, I just don't do good on the verbal section for some reason.

These are the break-ups of all my practice tests:
MGMAT 1 Q:46 V:41 710
MGMAT 2 Q:47 V:41 720
GMAT Prep 1 Q:48 V:33 660 (with essays)
MGMAT 3 Q:48 V:34 680
MGMAT 4 Q:48 V:44 750
GMAT Prep 2 Q:47 V:35 680 (with essays)
GMAT Prep 1 - Retake Q:49 V:41 740 (with essays. 2 repeat verbal question)
Power Prep 1 Q:48 V:42 730
GMAT Prep 2 - Retake Q:47 V:36 680 (with essays. 1 repeat verbal question)

I used the following materials:
1) OG - 12
2) OG Verbal review
3) MGMAT SC Book
4) MGMAT Number Properties
5) Powerscore CR
6) Kaplan Verba l+ Quant workbook

I'm out of ideas and out of preparation material. And the very fact that I scored lower on my second attempt really frustrates me. I always manage to pull my lowest score on the actual test. I'm totally clueless.

This time on the actual exam I really struggled with the Quant Timing and I had just 10 mins left for the last 11 questions and I still managed to get 47. On the other hand, in verbal I was cruising and I was thinking I'm doing really well. But when I saw a score of 28, I was SHOCKED! I don't understand what's wrong. I'm totally saturated and I feel I can't study anymore. Moreover, I don't really know how to improve.

Did any of you guys face a similar situation?

Thanks for your time!


My friend had the same problem, he always did well on quant, if I can remember he used to get 49 or 50, but on the hand his verbal always abolished his overall score(between 640 and 680). What he noticed is that the 3rd RC in the actual exam is always tough and it's really difficult to answer the questions with the time constraint and at the end of it he would find himself stressed and more nervous , and that caused him to perform poorly on the other questions;Therefore he came up with the strategy :idea: ,booked the next exam and he didn't study anything. The strategy was he will skip the third RC :!: :!: and that will help him to save energy for the other questions that he knows he could solve them correctly, and walla :shock: he got 730!!!
He swore a million times to me that is all he did.
_________________

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 May 2008
Posts: 80
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 11

Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 11:49
elevinty wrote:

Therefore he came up with the strategy :idea: ,booked the next exam and he didn't study anything. The strategy was he will skip the third RC :!: :!: and that will help him to save energy for the other questions that he knows he could solve them correctly, and walla :shock: he got 730!!!
He swore a million times to me that is all he did.


I really really doubt that approach, one is heavily penalized for leaving questions in GMAT and leaving an entire RC is akin to a bungee jump with no strings attached. Never leave a question an intelligent guess is alway safer than a question left.

@rainmaker
if you can be back in action after a week's break, great, since the momentum is there you will be able to move with things faster and if you feel attending a course would be beneficial do go ahead. Looking at your practice score range you need more focus on developing a test day mindset, try a mix of timed sectional tests with the full lenghts, experiment with pacing strategies and nothing works wonders than a confident mind. Good Luck and may you break the 700 barrier soon
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: Mesmerized
Joined: 24 Jan 2010
Posts: 181
Location: UAE, Dubai
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 12:02
sh00nya wrote:
elevinty wrote:

Therefore he came up with the strategy :idea: ,booked the next exam and he didn't study anything. The strategy was he will skip the third RC :!: :!: and that will help him to save energy for the other questions that he knows he could solve them correctly, and walla :shock: he got 730!!!
He swore a million times to me that is all he did.


I really really doubt that approach, one is heavily penalized for leaving questions in GMAT and leaving an entire RC is akin to a bungee jump with no strings attached. Never leave a question an intelligent guess is alway safer than a question left.

@rainmaker
if you can be back in action after a week's break, great, since the momentum is there you will be able to move with things faster and if you feel attending a course would be beneficial do go ahead. Looking at your practice score range you need more focus on developing a test day mindset, try a mix of timed sectional tests with the full lenghts, experiment with pacing strategies and nothing works wonders than a confident mind. Good Luck and may you break the 700 barrier soon

Am not advising anyone I repeat this is not an advice, all I wanted to do is to share it, that's all.
_________________

Nanquam Fractum

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 61
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 16:53
@chostein: Thanks for the tips!

@elevinty: This strategy is pretty risky as you never know what kind of questions will follow the RC. I understand you are just sharing the information and I appreciate it. Thanks!

Guys any input on knewton? Do you think it is worth joining their course? I am interested in knewton because it is the cheapest option.
Knewton GMAT Representative
User avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 112
Location: New York, NY
Schools: BA Amherst College, MFA Brooklyn College
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 09:51
Thanks for your question about Knewton.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to.

Yep, we are super happy with our course, and it is indeed the most affordable option.

In fact, the price is only $590 though the end of the month if you use promo code:

KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

You also get the GMAT Club Tests free when you purchase.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,
Josh
_________________

Josh Anish
Senior Editor
Knewton, Inc

Free GMAT Club tests ($250 value) in addition to any other discounts or coupons when you buy the Knewton Course with KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club discount code.
Use this promo code when you sign up for Knewton: KnewtonBest-GMAT-Club

Image

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2009
Posts: 61
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 10:48
Hey Josh,

I already joined knewton. But I didn't get GMATClub tests. How do I get these tests?

Thanks
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
User avatar
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
Joined: 04 Dec 2002
Posts: 12187
Location: United States (WA)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2273

Kudos [?]: 8780 [0], given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 12:33
Expert's post
rainmaker123 wrote:
Hey Josh,

I already joined knewton. But I didn't get GMATClub tests. How do I get these tests?

Thanks



!
Please fill out a request form here:
http://gmatclub.com/blog/sign-up-for-a- ... lub-tests/

_________________

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 May 2010
Posts: 58
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help [#permalink] New post 26 May 2010, 17:03
I wouldn't beat myself up over it, b-schools look @ your best score anyway. If you really want, you could take it again, but I would wait a few months before doing so - obviously do it before you plan to apply - GMAT scores are helpful, but you are more than just a score!

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help   [#permalink] 26 May 2010, 17:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Out of ideas! laidmn 3 09 Jun 2012, 04:44
Help me out please samidh 0 16 Sep 2010, 22:43
1 Please help me out samidh 4 16 Sep 2010, 22:42
2 Pathetic score in Kaplan CAT test and 800score! please help subarao 4 19 Jul 2008, 05:15
My Pathetic performance humans 3 12 Jul 2006, 06:37
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Pathetic GMAT Performance - Out of ideas!!!! - Please help

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: TGC, m3equals333



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.