Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [2] , given: 543

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Parallelism question based on the meaning Lovell wright was well known for two reasons:

1) she had an eccentric personality
2) she skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

E is best!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 42

Reviews Badge
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 11:38
bumping up for more discussions....
As much as X as Y
As X as Y

Does both have the same meaning.????
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 93

Kudos [?]: 933 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
bumping up for more discussions....
As much as X as Y
As X as Y

Does both have the same meaning.????

Hi AMITAGARWAL2

As far as I know, you're comparing two structures:
(1) adjective as X as Y
(2) as + adjective + X as [adjective] + Y

The difference between the two is the position of the adjective. If we use grammars correctly, the meanings of two structures are the same. A major of problem of this structure is parallelism.

For example:
(1) Peter is attractive as for his good looking face as for his sport abilities.
(2) Peter is as attractive for his good looking face as [attractive] for his sport abilities.

Two sentences have the same meaning.

Back to the question, you can see option B and E for details.
B: ....well known as much for X as for Y.
E: ....as well known for X as [well known] for Y.

Technically, if X and Y are parallel, there is no problem. Option, B, nonetheless, is wrong because "for having ..." and "for her skillful..." are not grammatically parallel. The correct structure should be "for having X as for having Y".

Only option E, which say Lovell Wright became well known for two reasons: "her eccentric personality" and "her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures" is correct.

Hope it helps

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 27

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2013, 10:53
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality asfor her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
correct

This question tests parallelism.
Please give me kudos :-D
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 27

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2013, 11:57
arj_singh1976 wrote:

E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

The idiom in play is "as well.....as".
A, B, & C are incorrect. D is wrong because "as well known for having....as having" is not parallel. for l l having.
E is the only correct answer left.
Please give me kudos :)
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1526 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

maaadhu wrote:
Mike,
For the above question in the link, choice E is the correct answer. However, I have a question regarding choice A. I read all responses mentioning A is not parallel. But my question is in Choice A,
"because of" - preposition
"having eccentric personality" - gerund phrase
similarly
"for" - preposition
"having ....." - gerund phrase
Since both are followed by "preposition & gerund phrase", why is A not parallel? I really appreciate your explanation.
Thanks,

Dear maaadhu,
This is a subtle issue about parallelism. When prepositional phrases are in parallel, then as a general rule (not 100%, but a general rule), parallelism requires the same preposition. Especially if the parallelism is a comparison of two elements, so that we are striving to show the contrast of these two elements as clearly as possible, then parallelism almost always demands the same preposition. Think about the poor general reader of this sentence. This reader starts finding out about Ms. Wright, and when the reader gets to the words "became as well known for ...", the poor reader has to keep track of the fact that (1) thing #1, immediately after those words, will be something Ms. Wright was known for; (2) a some point latter in the sentence, there will be a thing #2, that is also something Ms. Wright was known for; (3) the sentence is saying that Ms. Wright was known for thing #1 and thing #2 equally well. That's a ton of logical connections all at once! If we are demanding that much of the reader, at the very least, we want to make it crystal clear where thing #1 ends and thing #2 begins, and we do that by using the exact same preposition as a marker of the transition.

In shorter sentences, in which the structure is not complicated, we might use two different prepositions, but in a longer sentence such as this, we need to repeat the same preposition for clarity.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 31

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:59
mikemcgarry wrote:
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

maaadhu wrote:
Mike,
For the above question in the link, choice E is the correct answer. However, I have a question regarding choice A. I read all responses mentioning A is not parallel. But my question is in Choice A,
"because of" - preposition
"having eccentric personality" - gerund phrase
similarly
"for" - preposition
"having ....." - gerund phrase
Since both are followed by "preposition & gerund phrase", why is A not parallel? I really appreciate your explanation.
Thanks,

Dear maaadhu,
This is a subtle issue about parallelism. When prepositional phrases are in parallel, then as a general rule (not 100%, but a general rule), parallelism requires the same preposition. Especially if the parallelism is a comparison of two elements, so that we are striving to show the contrast of these two elements as clearly as possible, then parallelism almost always demands the same preposition. Think about the poor general reader of this sentence. This reader starts finding out about Ms. Wright, and when the reader gets to the words "became as well known for ...", the poor reader has to keep track of the fact that (1) thing #1, immediately after those words, will be something Ms. Wright was known for; (2) a some point latter in the sentence, there will be a thing #2, that is also something Ms. Wright was known for; (3) the sentence is saying that Ms. Wright was known for thing #1 and thing #2 equally well. That's a ton of logical connections all at once! If we are demanding that much of the reader, at the very least, we want to make it crystal clear where thing #1 ends and thing #2 begins, and we do that by using the exact same preposition as a marker of the transition.

In shorter sentences, in which the structure is not complicated, we might use two different prepositions, but in a longer sentence such as this, we need to repeat the same preposition for clarity.

Thank You Mike.

Your explanation is very clear.

Maadhu

MGMAT1 - 540 ( Trying to improve )

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 9

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 02:34
in the pattern "for having" , "having" is used as gerund, which refers to a general action rather than the action of a specific noun in the main clause. This use is not logic because "having" should refer to "wax" in the main clause.

is my thinking correct? pls comment.

If anyone in this gmat forum know anybody traveling to Hanoi, Vietnam on around 25 Jan 2014, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some problem and need your help. Thank

Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2013, 13:30
Expert's post
vietmoi999 wrote:
in the pattern "for having" , "having" is used as gerund, which refers to a general action rather than the action of a specific noun in the main clause. This use is not logic because "having" should refer to "wax" in the main clause.

is my thinking correct? pls comment.

Dear Vietmoi,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

It's perfectly correct that "having", where is appears, is a gerund. A gerund isn't inherently wrong in this context --- it's just that the parallelism is very tricky. For example, if we tweaked (A) to say:

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

That's correct --- two gerunds in perfect parallelism ---- ".... know as much for having P as for having Q." Admittedly, the way (E) expresses the idea is even more eloquent, but this phrasing is grammatically correct, including correct parallelism. The use of gerunds is fine. Here's an article on gerunds:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... d-phrases/

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 480 Q48 V9

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 18

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2013, 05:36
I think we can cancel B directly by checking 'as much because......as she was....' this does not reflect //lism.....and from other 4 , E is good.

though I have also selected B.....
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 33

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2013, 01:32

Only E has a parallel structure with the idiom as well .. as therefore I would go with E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 03:29
I thought "became as well known...." was wrong idiomatic construction...hmmmm

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1526 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
HarishLearner wrote:

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

Here's a blog about the Idioms of Comparison:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

I hope all this helps.

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 5

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2013, 00:10
mikemcgarry wrote:
HarishLearner wrote:

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

Here's a blog about the Idioms of Comparison:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

I hope all this helps.

Thanks for the clarification Mike. And also the links. I had already downloaded the Idioms book.

Kudos would be appreciated -:) !

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 291

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2013, 19:14
1) He has an eccentric personality. 2) His personality is eccentric. 1) is wordy. Hence E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 5

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 04:07
D changes the meaning.

Patience Lovell Wright became well known for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

This could mean she just "had" skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax. The point is that those skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax were actually "her's".
Magoosh GMAT Instructor

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2013, 10:59
Expert's post
ayushman wrote:
D changes the meaning.

Patience Lovell Wright became well known for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

This could mean she just "had" skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax. The point is that those skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax were actually "her's".

Dear ayushman,
I agree something is ambiguous in the wording, but we don't have to read it in a way that changes the meaning. You were interpreting the gerund, the object of the preposition "for", as "having", and then "skillfully rendered popular public figures" is what she had. Indeed, that interpretation does change the meaning.
Instead, I would argue that the gerund is "having ... rendered" ---- this is the gerund form of the perfect participle. In other words, she was the creator of the "popular public figures." Other examples
...famous for having written a novel ...
...famous for having spoken to Edison...
...famous for having sailed around the world ...

Given multiple possibilities, we really have to choose the one that doesn't change the meaning.
Does this make sense?

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 747

CAT Tests
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2013, 16:05
What turned me off for D and E and pushed me to "B" was the "as well known" phrase; it just sounded off to me. Also, I incorrectly assumed that "having" in B was used as a noun and would be parallel to the part of the sentence beginning with "for her skillful".
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 03-20-2014

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 06:05
Request the experts to post POE for this question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 50

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:12
idinuv wrote:
Request the experts to post POE for this question.

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussuad's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
having is a participle modifier, while rendered is a verb. Parallelism not maintained.
having is a participle modifier, while 'wax renderings' is a noun phrase. Not parallel.
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figure
'because of her eccentric personality' is a adverb clause (Dependant), while 'she was for her skillful ...' is not a clause at all (no verb)
'having' is a participle modifier while 'having rendered' is a verb. Parallelism not maintained.
'noun phrase' is parallel to 'noun phrase'

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 10:12