Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Mar 2015, 23:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [5] , given: 0

Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2007, 05:06
5
This post received
KUDOS
12
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  85% (hard)

Question Stats:

40% (02:14) correct 60% (01:18) wrong based on 799 sessions
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by arj_singh1976 on 17 Feb 2007, 06:23, edited 2 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Nov 2012
Posts: 927
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 397 [2] , given: 543

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 05:38
2
This post received
KUDOS
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.



Parallelism question based on the meaning Lovell wright was well known for two reasons:

1) she had an eccentric personality
2) she skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

E is best!
_________________

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1937
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 404 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 20:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
billyjeans wrote:
hey sondenso,
I noticed that too, but B is wrong for a different reason, it's not parallel.
The phrase after the for's are not parrallel. if they are both none then it will be okay.
say "as much for its eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures


I cant agree with you more! that is my weakness-quickly but carelessly! :lol:
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1153
Location: United States
Followers: 161

Kudos [?]: 1619 [1] , given: 123

Premium Member
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 22:06
1
This post received
KUDOS
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
bumping up for more discussions....
As much as X as Y
As X as Y

Does both have the same meaning.????


Hi AMITAGARWAL2

As far as I know, you're comparing two structures:
(1) adjective as X as Y
(2) as + adjective + X as [adjective] + Y


The difference between the two is the position of the adjective. If we use grammars correctly, the meanings of two structures are the same. A major of problem of this structure is parallelism.

For example:
(1) Peter is attractive as for his good looking face as for his sport abilities.
(2) Peter is as attractive for his good looking face as [attractive] for his sport abilities.

Two sentences have the same meaning.

Back to the question, you can see option B and E for details.
B: ....well known as much for X as for Y.
E: ....as well known for X as [well known] for Y.

Technically, if X and Y are parallel, there is no problem. Option, B, nonetheless, is wrong because "for having ..." and "for her skillful..." are not grammatically parallel. The correct structure should be "for having X as for having Y".

Only option E, which say Lovell Wright became well known for two reasons: "her eccentric personality" and "her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures" is correct.

Hope it helps
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2272
Followers: 663

Kudos [?]: 2661 [1] , given: 34

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

maaadhu wrote:
Mike,
For the above question in the link, choice E is the correct answer. However, I have a question regarding choice A. I read all responses mentioning A is not parallel. But my question is in Choice A,
"because of" - preposition
"having eccentric personality" - gerund phrase
similarly
"for" - preposition
"having ....." - gerund phrase
Since both are followed by "preposition & gerund phrase", why is A not parallel? I really appreciate your explanation.
Thanks,

Dear maaadhu,
This is a subtle issue about parallelism. When prepositional phrases are in parallel, then as a general rule (not 100%, but a general rule), parallelism requires the same preposition. Especially if the parallelism is a comparison of two elements, so that we are striving to show the contrast of these two elements as clearly as possible, then parallelism almost always demands the same preposition. Think about the poor general reader of this sentence. This reader starts finding out about Ms. Wright, and when the reader gets to the words "became as well known for ...", the poor reader has to keep track of the fact that (1) thing #1, immediately after those words, will be something Ms. Wright was known for; (2) a some point latter in the sentence, there will be a thing #2, that is also something Ms. Wright was known for; (3) the sentence is saying that Ms. Wright was known for thing #1 and thing #2 equally well. That's a ton of logical connections all at once! If we are demanding that much of the reader, at the very least, we want to make it crystal clear where thing #1 ends and thing #2 begins, and we do that by using the exact same preposition as a marker of the transition.

In shorter sentences, in which the structure is not complicated, we might use two different prepositions, but in a longer sentence such as this, we need to repeat the same preposition for clarity.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2272
Followers: 663

Kudos [?]: 2661 [1] , given: 34

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:30
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
HarishLearner wrote:
I thought "became as well known...." was wrong idiomatic construction...hmmmm

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

Here's a blog about the Idioms of Comparison:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2011
Posts: 2272
Followers: 663

Kudos [?]: 2661 [1] , given: 34

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2015, 12:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.

Dear crazykaushik,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

What you are asking touches on the very tricky idea of dropping common words in parallel. See this blog article:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/dropping- ... -the-gmat/

Here's version (E):
Patience Lowell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
Here' the parallelism with the omitted words:
Patience Lowell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became
//as well known for her eccentric personality
//as [well known] for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
You see, the second occurrence of "well known" is implied, but if we actually stated it, the sentence would sound awkward and redundant.

The GMAT loves this grammatical structure, because if you don't recognize what's missing, the sentence will look wrong. It's all about being mindful of what's not there!

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
_________________

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Image

Image

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2009
Posts: 665
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 219 [1] , given: 15

CAT Tests
Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2015, 20:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.



h Kaushik,

firstly lets see why B is wrong..
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
if you look at the two phrases in red, they are not parallel... her skillful wax renderings is noun phrase whereas having an eccentric personality is present participle phrase...

now lets look at E..
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
here both the phrases are noun phrase and follow proper parallelism
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 313
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 84 [1] , given: 2

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2015, 00:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
crazykaushik wrote:
Can I request some expert to explain this question? The OA is "E" which uses the structure "as X as Y", but is no way we have parallel component in the place of "X" and "Y". If we break it into two separate sentence without the parallel element "as...as...", then the two sentences doesn't stand correct separately. On the other hand the option "B" has "as much X as Y" structure and the two sides of parallel element are parallel in construction. The option B stands correct if we break the sentence in two separate sentence. Please suggest. Any response is appreciated.

Hi Kaushik, would you say:

(i) He was as good in cricket as in football (structure of option E).

Or would you say:

(ii) He was good as much in cricket as in football (structure of option B).

Hopefully in this simplified version, it is easy to see that (i) is correct. Hence, option E is correct.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 05 Feb 2006
Posts: 904
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2007, 05:10
I pick B

A close shot is E, however E changes the meaning a bit....
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 1135
Location: Bangalore
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 00:27
A, C - Not parallel (beacause - for)
D - not parallel (second for is absent)
E - altered intent

Give me B!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 05:32
OA is not B
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1386
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 05:37
Is it C?

here "for" acts as because to make it parallel...

I though it was B too :(
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 922
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GMATPREP(Patience Lovell Wright) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 05:58
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful was renderings of popular public figures.


I will go with E - I assume the "was renderings" is wax renderings.

In b, having is like being which GMAT doesnt like. not parallel.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 66
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GMATPREP(Patience Lovell Wright) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 06:24
hsampath wrote:
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful was renderings of popular public figures.


I will go with E - I assume the "was renderings" is wax renderings.

In b, having is like being which GMAT doesnt like. not parallel.


Thanks for correction. It is indeed 'wax rendering'. But could you plz explain why did u pick up E and not others?
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3392
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 09:56
oK , let me see...

I went with B as well...

we need "as much" here to show that she was well known because (equally) for her personality as for her work..

also we need "as..for" form..
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2004
Posts: 3392
Location: New York City
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 10:05
hmm..please post an update post that you are editing your original...

with the latest editing..E is BEST
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2006
Posts: 499
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 11:51
I chose B - but now I see that E is the most parallel in structure...
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1937
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 404 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:03
34. Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings


Last edited by mau5 on 05 Aug 2013, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Posts: 116
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:05
Quote:
34. Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

'Became well known as' is preferred to 'Became as well known'. Eliminate D, E
C - as she was - wrong - as she is may be correct - Eliminate
B for having is not parallel with for skillful wax rendering. - Eliminate
Answer = A. rendered maintains past tense correctly. having maintains parallelism.
_________________

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright   [#permalink] 15 May 2008, 20:05

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 46 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit eybrj2 3 04 Dec 2011, 17:10
11 Experts publish their posts in the topic Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit amitanand 12 02 Feb 2010, 17:26
2 Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit gurpreet07 6 05 Oct 2009, 01:01
Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit Fistail 4 06 Sep 2007, 21:57
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit arj_singh1976 0 05 Aug 2013, 05:38
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.