Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [4] , given: 0

Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2007, 05:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

39% (02:19) correct 61% (01:17) wrong based on 612 sessions
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by arj_singh1976 on 17 Feb 2007, 06:23, edited 2 times in total.
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 308 [2] , given: 543

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 05:38
This post received
KUDOS
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

A)well known as much because of having an eccentirc personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Parallelism question based on the meaning Lovell wright was well known for two reasons:

1) she had an eccentric personality
2) she skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax

E is best!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 318 [1] , given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 19 May 2008, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
billyjeans wrote:
hey sondenso,
I noticed that too, but B is wrong for a different reason, it's not parallel.
The phrase after the for's are not parrallel. if they are both none then it will be okay.
say "as much for its eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures

I cant agree with you more! that is my weakness-quickly but carelessly! :lol:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1368 [1] , given: 121

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 22:06
This post received
KUDOS
AMITAGARWAL2 wrote:
bumping up for more discussions....
As much as X as Y
As X as Y

Does both have the same meaning.????

Hi AMITAGARWAL2

As far as I know, you're comparing two structures:
(1) adjective as X as Y
(2) as + adjective + X as [adjective] + Y

The difference between the two is the position of the adjective. If we use grammars correctly, the meanings of two structures are the same. A major of problem of this structure is parallelism.

For example:
(1) Peter is attractive as for his good looking face as for his sport abilities.
(2) Peter is as attractive for his good looking face as [attractive] for his sport abilities.

Two sentences have the same meaning.

Back to the question, you can see option B and E for details.
B: ....well known as much for X as for Y.
E: ....as well known for X as [well known] for Y.

Technically, if X and Y are parallel, there is no problem. Option, B, nonetheless, is wrong because "for having ..." and "for her skillful..." are not grammatically parallel. The correct structure should be "for having X as for having Y".

Only option E, which say Lovell Wright became well known for two reasons: "her eccentric personality" and "her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures" is correct.

Hope it helps

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 538

Kudos [?]: 2256 [1] , given: 31

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
arj_singh1976 wrote:
Patience Lovell Wright, whose travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tussaud's work by 30 years, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures
(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of poular public figure
(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

maaadhu wrote:
Mike,
For the above question in the link, choice E is the correct answer. However, I have a question regarding choice A. I read all responses mentioning A is not parallel. But my question is in Choice A,
"because of" - preposition
"having eccentric personality" - gerund phrase
similarly
"for" - preposition
"having ....." - gerund phrase
Since both are followed by "preposition & gerund phrase", why is A not parallel? I really appreciate your explanation.
Thanks,

Dear maaadhu,
This is a subtle issue about parallelism. When prepositional phrases are in parallel, then as a general rule (not 100%, but a general rule), parallelism requires the same preposition. Especially if the parallelism is a comparison of two elements, so that we are striving to show the contrast of these two elements as clearly as possible, then parallelism almost always demands the same preposition. Think about the poor general reader of this sentence. This reader starts finding out about Ms. Wright, and when the reader gets to the words "became as well known for ...", the poor reader has to keep track of the fact that (1) thing #1, immediately after those words, will be something Ms. Wright was known for; (2) a some point latter in the sentence, there will be a thing #2, that is also something Ms. Wright was known for; (3) the sentence is saying that Ms. Wright was known for thing #1 and thing #2 equally well. That's a ton of logical connections all at once! If we are demanding that much of the reader, at the very least, we want to make it crystal clear where thing #1 ends and thing #2 begins, and we do that by using the exact same preposition as a marker of the transition.

In shorter sentences, in which the structure is not complicated, we might use two different prepositions, but in a longer sentence such as this, we need to repeat the same preposition for clarity.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 538

Kudos [?]: 2256 [1] , given: 31

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2013, 09:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
HarishLearner wrote:
I thought "became as well known...." was wrong idiomatic construction...hmmmm

Dear HarishLearner,
This is correct in a comparison.
It's fine to say ...
P became well known.
We could add either a role or an activity
P became well known for her poetry.
P became well known as a baseball pitcher.
Those are all the correct idioms when talking about one person.

Now, when we introduce a comparison, we need the extra "as" ----
P became as well known as Q.
We would tend not to use another "as" preposition in the middle of the "as well known as" construction, because that would be too awkward and confusing, but we could us a "for" preposition ---- and the comparison could be between two people or two activities ----
Clemens became as well known for his steroid controversy as did Bonds. (comparison of people)
Dr. Schweitzer become as well known for musicology as for his humanitarian efforts. (comparison of activities)

Here's a blog about the Idioms of Comparison:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idioms-of-comparison/

Here's a free idiom ebook:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-idiom-ebook/

I hope all this helps.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2007, 05:10
I pick B

A close shot is E, however E changes the meaning a bit....
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 00:27
A, C - Not parallel (beacause - for)
D - not parallel (second for is absent)
E - altered intent

Give me B!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2007, 05:32
OA is not B
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 05:37
Is it C?

here "for" acts as because to make it parallel...

I though it was B too :(
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GMATPREP(Patience Lovell Wright) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 05:58
arj_singh1976 wrote:

E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful was renderings of popular public figures.

I will go with E - I assume the "was renderings" is wax renderings.

In b, having is like being which GMAT doesnt like. not parallel.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - GMATPREP(Patience Lovell Wright) [#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 06:24
hsampath wrote:
arj_singh1976 wrote:

E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful was renderings of popular public figures.

I will go with E - I assume the "was renderings" is wax renderings.

In b, having is like being which GMAT doesnt like. not parallel.

Thanks for correction. It is indeed 'wax rendering'. But could you plz explain why did u pick up E and not others?
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 09:56
oK , let me see...

I went with B as well...

we need "as much" here to show that she was well known because (equally) for her personality as for her work..

also we need "as..for" form..
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 2

[#permalink] New post 17 Feb 2007, 10:05
hmm..please post an update post that you are editing your original...

with the latest editing..E is BEST
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2007, 11:51
I chose B - but now I see that E is the most parallel in structure...
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 19:03
34. Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Last edited by mau5 on 05 Aug 2013, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.
Added the OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:05
Quote:
34. Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

'Became well known as' is preferred to 'Became as well known'. Eliminate D, E
C - as she was - wrong - as she is may be correct - Eliminate
B for having is not parallel with for skillful wax rendering. - Eliminate
Answer = A. rendered maintains past tense correctly. having maintains parallelism.

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 25

Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 20:52
I originally picked b, but after reading it again, I think E is the right one.

A is clearly wrong, the correct idiom should be "as much for ... as for ..."
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 21:40
I can't decide between A and E. Is there an OE?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 318 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright [#permalink] New post 15 May 2008, 23:22
billyjeans wrote:
I think E is the right one.

A is clearly wrong, the correct idiom should be "as much for ... as for ..

You are right! OA is E

Re: SC. Patience Lovell Wright   [#permalink] 15 May 2008, 23:22