Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 17:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

42% (02:08) correct 58% (01:08) wrong based on 194 sessions
Hi Experts,
In the following question:

Q:Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Could any body explain 'became well known' or 'became as well known' is correct?

Also for me B is looking good because as much ......as is idiomatically correct...and the the phrases following as much and as are also parallel....

Thanks
-Amit
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by pqhai on 23 Aug 2014, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 3

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2010, 21:23
Hi Mohit,

OA is E. Could you please justify?

Thanks
-Amit
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 100 [0], given: 11

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 04:55
Please can someone explain this sc

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1703 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The given text is a test of symmetrical //ism in a two part sentence. This is not testing the correctness of either 'became well known' or 'became as well known'. Both are correct in their own right in appropriate contexts.

(A) well known ‘as much because of having an eccentric personality ‘as for having’ ------- un//.

(B) well known ‘as much for having an eccentric personality’ ‘as for skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figure. …..un//

(C) well known ‘as much because of her’ eccentric personality ‘as she was for’ her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. …..un//

(D) as well known ‘for having an eccentric’ personality ‘as having skillfully’ rendered popular public figures in wax. ----- un//

(E)’as well known for her eccentric’ personality ‘as for her skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figures. …… // correct choice

Quote:
Also for me B is looking good because as much ......as is idiomatically correct...and the phrases following as much and as are also parallel...

Nope; B flouts the //ism by missing something similar to ‘having’ in the second arm

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 13

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 21:42
(B)well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

If you have to say two things are equally beautiful, using 'as', you will not say as much beautiful- simply, as beautiful, right? Thus, as well known is correct.

(D)as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

'having' indicating possession- if she is having an eccentric personality, it is 'her' personality. similarly, the figures made are also 'her' work. E seems most appropriate, and simply worded.

Hence, the correct choice is E
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD, RSM, HEC, St. Gallen, IF, IESE
WE 1: Finance 6 years
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 03:40
It is E. IIism question.
In B for having is not II to for skillful.

In The World Full Of Duplicates,, I Am The Only Masterpiece..
Girl Power
beat-the-beast-with-non-native-speaker-108349.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 33

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2011, 09:23
E

Q:Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

(A)well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax
(C)well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.
(E)as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

as much because is unidiomatic and awkward- hence a, and c are out.

having is just verbose - it is not required. So b and d are out.

But if E were not right and one had to pick between B and D, i would go with B. I think D is superficially parallel and also introduces "as well known" which leans towards a comparison.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 18:08
I believe "having" always stinks on the gmat since its passive. Please correct me ....

daagh wrote:
Nope; B flouts the //ism by missing something similar to ‘having’ in the second arm
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 21

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 05:38
[quote="amitanand"]Hi Experts,
In the following question:

choice a: bad parallelism
because of... is not parallel to for...

choice c: extremely bad parallelism
- one part is a phrase (because of ...), and the other part is a complete clause (she was for her ...) - same issue as choice a, because vs. for

choice d: bad parallelism
- you can't get rid of the 'for' in the second part (it should be '...as for having...')
- wordy (compare with the compact wording in choice e)

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1299

Kudos [?]: 3680 [4] , given: 185

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2012, 10:13
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Hi All,

Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 year, became well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.

The key to get to the right answer is to understand the meaning of the sentence. This sentence is about Patience Lovell Wright who travelling waxworks exhibit preceded Madame Tuscan’s work by 30 years. Wright became well known for two reasons:
1. For her eccentric personality.
2. For her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

The entities following both the “as” must be parallel to each other.

POE:

(A) well known as much because of having an eccentric personality as for having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax.: Incorrect for the reason discussed above.

(B) well known as much for having an eccentric personality as for skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Incorrect. Again the entities following “as” are not parallel. We need something parallel “having” after the second “as”.

(C) well known as much because of her eccentric personality as she was for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Incorrect. Again, the entities following the two “as” are nit parallel.

(D) as well known for having an eccentric personality as having skillfully rendered popular public figures in wax. Incorrect. “for having” after first “as” in not parallel to “having” after the second “as”.

(E) as well known for her eccentric personality as for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. Correct. “for her…” is parallel to “for her skillful…”.

1. In a list, the entity following the first marker should be parallel to the entity following the second marker.
2. We should use comparative degree (much) only when we are comparing two entities.

Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by egmat on 09 Aug 2013, 08:11, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 08:35
egmat wrote:
Use of “much” is incorrect here because Wright is not compared to anybody else. Also, the entities following both the “as” must be parallel to each other.

By that logic would, "Abc was known as much for his impatient nature as for his brilliance" or "She is know as much for her songs as for her movies" be incorrect?
Could you pls elaborate on the "much" rule and elaborate on the usage of "as much because... as because"
SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2014, 09:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 23:35
daagh wrote:
The given text is a test of symmetrical //ism in a two part sentence. This is not testing the correctness of either 'became well known' or 'became as well known'. Both are correct in their own right in appropriate contexts.

(A) well known ‘as much because of having an eccentric personality ‘as for having’ ------- un//.
as well known for her eccentric[/color]’ personality ‘as for her skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figures. …… // correct choice

(B) well known ‘as much for having an eccentric personality’ ‘as for skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figure. …..un//

(C) well known ‘as much because of her’ eccentric personality ‘as she was for’ her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures. …..un//

(D) as well known ‘for having an eccentric’ personality ‘as having skillfully’ rendered popular public figures in wax. ----- un//

(E)’as well known for her eccentric’ personality ‘as for her skillful wax renderings’ of popular public figures. …… // correct choice

Quote:
Also for me B is looking good because as much ......as is idiomatically correct...and the phrases following as much and as are also parallel...

Hi Daagh,

I have a small doubt. In option E, the adjective known is ellipsed in the second half of the sentence.
Option E is same as :

as well known for her eccentric personality as known for her skillful wax renderings of popular public figures.

Please let me know if my understanding is coorect.
Re: Patience Lovell Wright, whose traveling waxworks exhibit   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2014, 23:35