Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 6

Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 12:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hours after birth are very important to establishing a mother-infant bond, which is the first step in building a healthy relationship. Can you assure me that my relationship with my baby has not been permanently harmed by our separation for several days after his birth?
Physician: Your relationship with your child has not been harmed by the separation. Mother-infant bonding is not like an instant glue that cements your relationship forever. Having your infant with you during the period immediately after birth does give your relationship a head start, but many factors are involved in building a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child.

Q. If everything the doctor says is correct, which one of the following must be true?

A. The best relationships between mothers and their children are caused by immediate mother-infant bonding.

B. There is a high degree of correlation between the best relationships between mothers and their children and those that began with immediate mother-infant bonding.

C. A strong and lasting relationship is necessary for mother-infant bonding.

D. Where immediate mother-infant bonding takes place, a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child will be assured.

E. Immediate mother-infant bonding is not necessary for a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: mother-infant [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 12:13
Nihit wrote:
Patient: Doctor, I read an article that claimed that the first few hours after birth are very important to establishing a mother-infant bond, which is the first step in building a healthy relationship. Can you assure me that my relationship with my baby has not been permanently harmed by our separation for several days after his birth?
Physician: Your relationship with your child has not been harmed by the separation. Mother-infant bonding is not like an instant glue that cements your relationship forever. Having your infant with you during the period immediately after birth does give your relationship a head start, but many factors are involved in building a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child.

Q. If everything the doctor says is correct, which one of the following must be true?

A. The best relationships between mothers and their children are caused by immediate mother-infant bonding.
B. There is a high degree of correlation between the best relationships between mothers and their children and those that began with immediate mother-infant bonding.
D. Where immediate mother-infant bonding takes place, a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child will be assured.
E. Immediate mother-infant bonding is not necessary for a strong and lasting relationship between a mother and her child.

I would say (E).

A - We can't deduce this, we only know that immediate bonding is "important", we don't know exactly HOW "important", so we don't know whether it will produce the "BEST" results compared to the numerous other factors of influence.
B - We do not know the degree of correlation, we know immediate bonding gives the relationship a "head start", but we also know the lack thereof has "not harmed" the relationship, so the head start is probably minor.
C - Reverse logic, trick answer.
D - Clearly contradicts doc's statements.

(E) We know the mom was separated, and that the separation "has NOT harmed the relationship", we can deduce that immediate bonding is "nice to have", but NOT a "necessity".
Manager
Manager
Schools: AGSM '16
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 28

Re: mother-infant [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 13:39
GMATaddict wrote:
Nihit wrote:

I would say (E).

A - We can't deduce this, we only know that immediate bonding is "important", we don't know exactly HOW "important", so we don't know whether it will produce the "BEST" results compared to the numerous other factors of influence.
B - We do not know the degree of correlation, we know immediate bonding gives the relationship a "head start", but we also know the lack thereof has "not harmed" the relationship, so the head start is probably minor.
C - Reverse logic, trick answer.
D - Clearly contradicts doc's statements.

(E) We know the mom was separated, and that the separation "has NOT harmed the relationship", we can deduce that immediate bonding is "nice to have", but NOT a "necessity".

I agree. My vote goes to E.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: mother-infant [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2009, 14:43
I'm with E too.
Re: mother-infant   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2009, 14:43