Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 17:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either.. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 02:55
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Can someone please help me with the following question :( :

Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either$5, $3, or $1.50. What
is the total monetary value of all of Paul's transit cards?

Answer:
values of cards: 5x + 3y + 1.50(25 - x - y) = ?
Simplify ~ 3.5x + 1.5y + 37.5 = ?

From here I tried solving for x and y.. Here's what I did, please do correct me if I'm wrong (most probably am :P)

y = (-37,5 - 3,5x)/1,5

so, 3,5x + 1,5(-37,5 - 3,5x)/1,5 + 37,5 =
3,5x + -37,5 - 3,5x + 37,5 = x = 0

And then I got stuck :(
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either.. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 03:19
Hi

I think we need more information. This example is present there just to illustrate how to frame/imbibe maximum information from question even before reading the DS choices.

"All of the work so far has come just from the prompt of a Data Sufficiency question—you
have not even seen statements (1) and (2) yet! But this work is worth the time and energy.
In general, you should rephrase and interpret a Data Sufficiency question prompt as much
as you can before you begin to work with the statements."

Btw, I have not gone beyond this text to read any other information, so please feel free to dig further.

Others, please opine.

Regards,
Subhash

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either.. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 03:21
Hi, yeah so at first I thought that I can't solve it because I got 2 variables and 1 equation but then my friend (who is a math genius) said that it could be solved so I tried doing so and ended up being more confused.. :(
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either.. [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2011, 03:23
Oh yeah, let us wait to hear from Gurus as Walker, Ian, fluke etc.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Paul has twenty-five transit cards, each worth either..   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2011, 03:23