Joined: 19 May 2006
, given: 0
Paul, Please give me your opinion. [#permalink]
29 Aug 2006, 06:18
I just bought your book, it is great. Now I only need your valuable insight and feedback on my chances to get into this school.
My background :
1. Indonesian male, age 29, 6 years MNC experiences as a Food scientist in Singapore.
2. Bachelor of Applied Science (Food Technology), from University of Western Sydney Australia, graduated with distinction (not sure how to convert this into GPA), Faculty Merit List.
3. GMAT 750 (Q49, V42, AWA 5.0)
4. Employer history (4 different companies)
DAIWA FINE PRODUCTS
ARCHER DANIELS MIDLAND COMPANY
JM HUBER CORPORATION
5. Professional expertise : R&D and Quality Assurance.
6. Extracurricular activities : (This worry me a lot)
Above average club level badminton player
Taekwondo instructor, Taekwondo Modus Club Indonesia
Tutor & Mentor, International student house, at University
Gold medal, junior Jakarta Taekwondo Championship 1995
Short term goal / post MBA : Equity research analyst at fortune 500 finance company.
Long term goal : Manage my own fund, concentrating particularly on developing countries in South East Asia such as Indonesia.
Paul, the reason why I want an MBA is that I feel "underutilized" now. I love research and analytical work, investigating and solving problems, however, I am not born to be a scientist (I am not going to take master in science for sure, 110%), I think I am too "business mined". I want to be in a career that have fast pace and a lot of pressure, and that require plenty of analytical skills. My research direct me to the finance and banking industry.
Do you think my "career switch" is reasonable ?
I am planning to apply to the following schools :
I think these schools are pretty strong in finance. Please give me your advise. Am I reasonable in my choice of schools ?
Last question, from my profile, what kind of competitive edge do I have? You can ask more info from me anytime.
Thanks a lot, Paul, your time is really much appreciated.