Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 23:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Paul, please help with your evaluation!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Paul, please help with your evaluation! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2006, 15:08
Hi Paul,

Could you please evaluate my profile for the b-schools to which I am planning to apply in R2 (Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC).
I'm Ukrainian, female, 28 y.o.
GPA 3,72 from Ukrainian university (Honor Diploma)
BA degree with majors in Russian, English and Literature and a minor in Secondary Education.

My post-MBA goal is to work for two years as a Logistic Manager or as a Supply chain manager for a big international retail or manufacturing company like Home Depot or GAP in the USA. Short -term goal is to progress further and become a Logistic or Supply Chain Director.My ultimate long-term goal is to become a Chief Operations Officer or a Vice President in Operations of a big international retail or manufacturing company in Ukraine.

5 years of work experience in supply chain.
I worked for 3 years in a private Ukrainian company (in the beginning as an assistant to general manager and after one year I was promoted to a purchasing manager). I was responsible for import purchases of goods from Western Europe, USA and New Zealand, daily interactions with suppliers , delivery of goods into Ukraine and their preparation for customs clearance.
Another 2 years I worked as a supply chain manager in Ukrainian representative of a big international concern ( the third leading insulation manufacturer in Europe). My main duties included the following:
Organized, controlled and improved fail-safety and productivity of daily work in the logistic department (12 employees)
Analyzed, planned, organized, coordinated and managed logistical processes of the enterprise ( import purchases from Eastern and Western Europe, transportation, customs clearance, warehousing and inventory, distribution, customer service)

I was engaged into a volunteer work (delivery of humanitarian aid to seniors) for a decade in Ukraine. After I moved to USA last year I joined a local volunteer organization (help seniors).

My essays should be Ok since Accepted.com helped me with editing.
Recs should be fine as well.

My weak points :? :
-I haven't worked for a year since I moved to USA to my husband (I am not eligible to work due to my current visa status)
-I didn't have any quantitative course work during my undergraduate study
-I expect my GMAT score to be around 630 (i'll have a test in 2 weeks)---- Please let me know which minimum score could make me a competitative candidate :?: .

Your advice and suggestions are highly appreciated! Thank you!

We can have more than we've got because we can become more than we are.
Jim Rohn

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Paul, please help with your evaluation! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 15:10
ovmaxim wrote:
Hi Paul,

Could you please evaluate my profile for the b-schools to which I am planning to apply in R2 (Stanford, UCLA, UC Berkeley, USC).
I'm Ukrainian, female, 28 y.o.
GPA 3,72 from Ukrainian university (Honor Diploma)
BA degree with majors in Russian, English and Literature and a minor in Secondary Education.

My post-MBA goal is to work for two years as a Logistic Manager or as a Supply chain manager for a big international retail or manufacturing company like Home Depot or GAP in the USA. Short -term goal is to progress further and become a Logistic or Supply Chain Director.My ultimate long-term goal is to become a Chief Operations Officer or a Vice President in Operations of a big international retail or manufacturing company in Ukraine.

5 years of work experience in supply chain.
I worked for 3 years in a private Ukrainian company (in the beginning as an assistant to general manager and after one year I was promoted to a purchasing manager). I was responsible for import purchases of goods from Western Europe, USA and New Zealand, daily interactions with suppliers , delivery of goods into Ukraine and their preparation for customs clearance.
Another 2 years I worked as a supply chain manager in Ukrainian representative of a big international concern ( the third leading insulation manufacturer in Europe). My main duties included the following:
Organized, controlled and improved fail-safety and productivity of daily work in the logistic department (12 employees)
Analyzed, planned, organized, coordinated and managed logistical processes of the enterprise ( import purchases from Eastern and Western Europe, transportation, customs clearance, warehousing and inventory, distribution, customer service)

I was engaged into a volunteer work (delivery of humanitarian aid to seniors) for a decade in Ukraine. After I moved to USA last year I joined a local volunteer organization (help seniors).

My essays should be Ok since Accepted.com helped me with editing.
Recs should be fine as well.

My weak points :? :
-I haven't worked for a year since I moved to USA to my husband (I am not eligible to work due to my current visa status)
-I didn't have any quantitative course work during my undergraduate study
-I expect my GMAT score to be around 630 (i'll have a test in 2 weeks)---- Please let me know which minimum score could make me a competitative candidate :?: .

Your advice and suggestions are highly appreciated! Thank you!

ovmaxim,

You have an interesting and impressive profile. The combination of your industry and niche, career progress, nationality, and gender make you stand out. However, the combination of your GMAT and current employment situation (though primarily the GMAT) will really hurt you at Stanford, UCLA, and Haas. You probably have a decent shot at USC because of all your strengths and singularities, but I would regard UCLA and Haas only as longshots and aim your energies lower on the food chain.

To be competitive at Stanford, UCLA, and Haas I think you need to get into the 680 territory. Perhaps 660 with your profile would give you a chance at UCLA and Haas....

Good luck.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 16:47
Thank you very much Paul! Your review helped me to understand where I am.
Actually 630 is the minimum which I am expecting on a GMAT, so 680 is pretty realistic to achieve. It's just a matter of time an effort. But I am really doubting about my ability to break 700, at least at this point. Otherwise I must apply for a next year and I am afraid that even a brilliant GMAT won't compensate 2 years of unemployment. What do you think?
Stanford is my big dream. Do you think my profile with GMAT 680 will look competitive or it's still not enough? Or let's put it this way: does my profile look competitive for Stanford and it's just a matter of GMAT or I am not their fit at all and I want too much?
Also what is your opinion about my fit with UCLA and Haas ?
Paul, could you please suggest me some good schools (still in Top-20-30) where I might have realistic chances? Probably I am trying to climb too high.
Thank you so much! I am anxiously waiting for your reply!
Olga

Jim Rohn

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2006, 16:06
ovmaxim wrote:
Thank you very much Paul! Your review helped me to understand where I am.
Actually 630 is the minimum which I am expecting on a GMAT, so 680 is pretty realistic to achieve. It's just a matter of time an effort. But I am really doubting about my ability to break 700, at least at this point. Otherwise I must apply for a next year and I am afraid that even a brilliant GMAT won't compensate 2 years of unemployment. What do you think?
Stanford is my big dream. Do you think my profile with GMAT 680 will look competitive or it's still not enough? Or let's put it this way: does my profile look competitive for Stanford and it's just a matter of GMAT or I am not their fit at all and I want too much?
Also what is your opinion about my fit with UCLA and Haas ?
Paul, could you please suggest me some good schools (still in Top-20-30) where I might have realistic chances? Probably I am trying to climb too high.
Thank you so much! I am anxiously waiting for your reply!
Olga

Olga,

The difference between a 680 and 700 is not significant as far as the schools are concerned. Your current unemployment is a negative, and earning a 750 probably wouldn't help to make it less of a negative. What *will* help is an essay where you show all the high-impact things you've been doing despite your visa situation -- i.e., that your time has been put to very productive use. You should consider Stanford a long shot, as should the vast majority of applicants; it's just a tough school to get into.

Regarding your "fit" at Stanford, Haas, and UCLA, alot of that comes down to your goals (do they match the schools' strengths), your ability to stand out from the crowd along a number of dimensions, and of course your ability to demonstrate the leadership and impact that all schools look for. Assuming you do a good job of minimizing the unemployment negative in your essays you may have a chance at UCLA and Haas. Given your supply chain goals, however, I think you should be focusing on schools like MIT, Michigan State, CMU, and Purdue--ranked #1, 2, 5, and 7 by USNews in supply chain/logistics. You have a good chance at all of them except MIT, where you have a decent/maybe chance.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2006, 15:34
Paul,

Thank you so much for your wise advice! I'll definitely follow it.

P.S. CMU=Carnegie Mellon?

Jim Rohn

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2006, 15:57
ovmaxim wrote:
Paul,

Thank you so much for your wise advice! I'll definitely follow it.

P.S. CMU=Carnegie Mellon?

Ovmaxim,

Yes, CMU = Carnegie Mellon.

Paul Bodine /