Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peculiar Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Peculiar Request [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2005, 19:27
Hi Hjort

I just wanted to ask you that students in which univ in the top 50 odd have a easygoing relatively low stressed daily lives..i just wanted to know about such schools with an atmoshphere where students lives are not cutthroat...

i've heard about student coordination in Duke Fuqua...are there any similar b-schools where the pace is relatively slow or less stressed...
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 432 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2005, 11:27
This is a difficult issue to address since it is so subjective- what some students consider excessive competition others might consider an enthralling sense of vitality and purpose. Further, your perception of the level of competition can depend on what section or cohort you are in, who is on your team, who your professors are, etc. I have had the experience many times of speaking to different students at the same school at the same time and discovering widely divergent views of the level of competition at that school.

1) The "teamwork" schools such as Duke, Dartmouth, and Northwestern commonly are commonly mentioned as schools that are friendly.

2) The impression of competition might be moderated somewhat in schools that do not reveal grades to recruiters. You might want to take a closer look at these schools.

3) The cluster of a school has some influence on the level of competition. At the ultra elites there is certainly still competition over who will get the prize positions but even the "losers" in this struggle are likely to get well paid jobs somewhere. On the other hand, at the lower clusters there might be a small number of prized jobs recruited at that school and a number of students who feel that they must work even harder to prove they are the best of the best even if they are coming from a relatively less known school.

4) On a related point, a high level of unemployment for graduates of a specific school can indicate a high level of competition for the available jobs.

5) The best way to get a sense of the "feel" of the school would be to visit it and observe the school firsthand during the regular academic year.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2005, 01:38
Thanks for the brilliant reply hjort..could you please advise me in college selection and on the apps please..

here is my profile..

Nationality: Indian

GMAT: - 680 (V 37 / Q 47 AWA 5.0 )

Undergraduate School: ENGG in IT in top 10 Univs of India

Undergraduate GPA- will graduate in 2006 ..GPA should be enough

Work Experience:

For 1.5 years headed an entire city distribution for a small scale T -SHIRT company .(part time)

2 years experience as an active stock market trader (part time)

I took a year's break from college to hep with the family business during which time i took the initiative in setting up a factory unit in southern India. Currently the same unit is reponsible for producing nearly 27% of our current output..I handled all operations and working for 1 year with the same unit..

Extracurricular/hobbies:

A certified graphoanalyst .

A prize winning debater at inter school levels.

My family runs a scholarship program in my native village where we send 2 students to the city for higher education in which i take an active interest..

Have also tutored english and maths at an orphanage home for the last 3 years..

Represented State and Club in Cricket at the national and district level respectively.

Represented a club in numerous swimming competitions.

I used to sing in amateur rock band..we had no success whatsoever:-)

Hobbies..

I love reading,soccer,analysing human behavioural patterns (thats why graphology),stocks..

I want to take up entrepreneurship,general management or marketing and will be looking to join my family owned business after a couple of years of a global job experience after my MBA..

I wish to apply to HBS(its a stretch i know),Michigan(Ross),Duke fuqua,Babson,Cornell,UNC (Kenan Flagler),Kelly and McCombs..

Can you suggest any additions or any revisions in any of the aforementioned univs ..also could you point out any weaknesses or points to focus on my resume..Also what are my chances at getting an admit in those univ's..

Thanks
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 01:51
hey hjort can you please help me out here
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 11:27
When do you plan to apply?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2005, 20:03
edit..

Last edited by Canis lupus on 20 Sep 2005, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 08:24
hey hjort..thanks for the reply.. i wanna apply for fall 2006
I plan to apply to about 8 colleges..I chose Tuck because of its strength in general mgmt.I chose only HBS out of the elites coz i thgt my work ex is not good enough for the others..do i stand a chance at any other elites?..Im not keen on going to the west coast for personal reasons..
Like i mentioned earlier i wanted to look at ESHIP,MKTING AND GENERAL MAGMT..How does this shortlist sound according to my profile sent earlier..please be free to make changes or revisions wherever you feel applicable..

1. HARVARD BUSINESS SCHOOL
2. UNIV OF MICHIGAN (ROSS)
3. DUKE FUQUA (NC)
4. CORNELL (JOHNSON, ITHACA NEW YORK)
5. INDIANA KELLEY (mkting)
6. BABSON (OLIN,MASSACHUSETTS)
7. TUCK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS (HANNOVER) (for general mgmt)
8. UNIV OF AUSTIN TEXAS (McCOMBS)
9. WAKE FOREST (BABCOCK) (NC)
10. UNIV OF MARYLAND,COLLEGE PARK

9&10 are my safety colleges and 1 & 2 my stretches..HBS i will only apply for the second round..Please tell me what relevant changes i could make in this shortlist..

My safety's are Maryland and Wake forest..i've heard a lot about their strength in their e-ship programs..Is the choice ok or do you suggest looking at any other safety colleges with better e-ship programs..should i opt for Univ of Arizona instead of maryland?

Also out of my shortlist which schools do you think are against candidates who are 22 years old.. i mean against younger candidates and which of them accept the same more readily..
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 10:50
I think that Maryland and Wake Forest are good schools to include. My strongest suggestion would be to diversify the schools in the Ultra Elite and Elite clusters.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2005, 13:03
diversify as in..what do you suggest..please explain or suggest any colleges...also please out of my shortlist are there any colleges who do not accept or discourage students with low work ex..if yes then which colleges can i potentially change them with...
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 21:21
hi hjort can you please reply what you mean by diversify ?
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 11:24
Sorry, I missed your post on Sep 20. By diversify I mean look at some other schools for inclusion in your portfolio. Think of the schools as representing a curve of probability of admission- you want as smooth a curve of possible and minimize the gaps. Right now you have some large gaps- you leap from Harvard perhaps the second toughest admit to Duke and Dartmouth.

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to "push" any particular school. However, I would take a very close look at other ultraelites such as Penn and other elites such as UCLA that have expressly stated an interest in younger candidate and are strong in the domains that interest you. Many times I have seen students with poorly structured portfolios fail to maximize their cluster attainment- there is no need for this to happen if one plans carefully.

I hope this makes more sense.

Hjort
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 18:57
i did realize what you were saying and it does make a lot of sense..there was a gaping hope between "quality" of schools..i have rectified it to a certain extent..

1. HARVARD
2. WHARTON
3. CORNELL
4. DUKE’S
5. TUCK
6. TEXAS AUSTIN
7. BABSON
8. INDIANA KELLEY
9. MARYLAND SMITH
10. WAKE FOREST

Most of the colleges lie within the elite range with HBS,PENN as stretches and wake forest and maryland as safeties..
hopefully the shortlist above offers a smoother transistion..Also im not too sure of applyin to Texas or Maryland..I would like to apply to Kenan Flagler instead but i heard that they discourage students with less than 2 years of ex to apply..is this true..should i exclude one of texas or maryland and apply to UNC instead ?..

Also i cant make it for the HBS,Penn 1st round deadlines..will i stand a good chance even if i apply in the 2nd round ?..

Any insight would be appreciated..
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 19:13
Have you looked at Carnegie/Tepper?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 20:32
yeah i have ..i noticed that they have pretty lenient work ex criteria as stated on their web site..but arent they very finance oriented ? .. are the mkting or general mgmt programs there good as well..

also what about kenan flagler..should i substitute UNC with maryland or texas?
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2005, 21:58
Carnegie Mellon offers tracks in general management, eship, and computational marketing. I would describe it as more of a quantitative school than a finance one, and traditionally it was firmly in the "management as science" mold.

http://business.tepper.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142012

There is also a marketing concentration within the GM track-

http://business.tepper.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142017
  [#permalink] 23 Sep 2005, 21:58

Peculiar Request

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap