Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Pediatricians having observed the practice of both older and

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Pediatricians having observed the practice of both older and [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2003, 17:26
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:27) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions
Pediatricians having observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues contend that older pediatricians are likely to overlook evidence of child abuse and they therefore diagnose it less often.

a) having observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues contend that older pediatricians are likely to overlook evidence of child abuse and they therefore diagnose
b) having observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues content that older pediatricians likely overlook evidence of child abuse and therefore diagnose
c) who have observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues contend that the older pediatrician is likely to overlook evidence of child abuse and they therefore diagnose
d) who have observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues contend that the older pediatrician likely overlooks evidence of child abuse and therefore they diagnose
e) who have observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues contend that the older pediatrician is likely to overlook evidence of child abuse and therefore diagnoses
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 00:57
E?? The answer is crystal clear when the word older pediatrician is seen with the singular verb diagonoses.

Others all are improper in the sense that they have pronoun "they" or plural verb "diagnose".
SVP
SVP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 01:09
I vote for A.
Clumsy but correct

a verb to diagnose (diagnosed, diagnosing, diagnoses) means to identify a disease

a word diagnosis (pl. diagnoses) means a process of identifying a disease
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 01:20
Moreover,

(E) who have observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues contend that THE older pediatrician is likely to overlook evidence of child abuse and therefore diagnoses.

THE should be AN
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 04:45
The answer is E.
Why you all are in good shape about GRAMMAR?

E is conspicuous as to answer the question " Who diagnoses?"
It's about the vague pronoun THEY.

To Stolyar,
I think this is cut from a book or passages. So, I think that THE is acceptable for this case. (I think that you mean: first time for specific noun, we must use THE, right?)

Let's share. :o
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 05:25
So be it. But it is wry anyway.
THE in E is not acceptable I think since we do not mean any particular doctor. This fact nullifies E as the right option.

but if you insist, I have to agree
On the real test it is senseless to try to argue, no?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 06:57
Stolyar,

I would like to make a point here. I see a problem with the choice A.

The sentence is example of present participle.

A participle is something which qualifies a noun.

The sentence would sound better, if the read as ...

Having observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues, Pediatricians contend that...

Now, if you see that, Having observered clearly qualifies the noun Pediatricians..

Let's see an example,

Having eaten a lot, I felt sleepy.

Now you see the cause of the reaction "sleepy", it simply because i ate a lot.

So, Having eaten qualifies the noun I, who in the end feels sleepy.

Another thing to note here is the cause and effect analysis.

Something took place in past, the result of it is seen now.

another example,

Sunday being a holiday, I did not go out.

The participle here is the word being.. And the cause and effect anlysis is clearly visible.

So on another look, i would say our original sentence would sound more better if its's writeen like..

Having observed the practice of both older and younger colleagues, Pediatricians now contend that...

Hope that makes sense..

I don't claim to be an expert on all these grammar terms. But this is something which i learnt from continous observation in sentences on GMAT.
SVP
SVP

[#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2003, 12:07
This was a great essay to read. Thank you for so comprehensive lesson.
  [#permalink] 03 Jul 2003, 12:07