Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 18:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer review : Applying in Fall 2010.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Peer review : Applying in Fall 2010. [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 11:23
Nationality : Indian

Undergrad major : B.E in Information Technology(2007) First Class. Mumbai Univ.
GPA : 3.2 +
GMAT Score : 630,620

Work Ex :
1) Worked as S/W engineer for one year. Was one of the first campus recruit for the company which is based in Boston, operating in 25 countries. Worked in a team of 20+ and was given the responsibility to lead a team of 3 to reduce no of defects.
2) Joined my family business. Manufacturing insulating tapes. Working as a production manager for the past one year.

Extra curricular:

1) Secretary of CSI (Computer society of India, student body on lines of IEEE) student body in my college.
2) Organized an national level inter college fest and was part of the core council committee
3) Founding member of a young professional groups, raised about Rs.40,000 + (Approx 1000$) to help young homeless girls.
4) Volunteer for Teach India campaign. Teaching 2 hrs/week to underprivileged kids.
5) Spare time I run my own blog site, photography and learning Spanish.

Short term goal:
Working in P&G, GE etc to learn how business is conducted across several countries and continents.

Long term goal:
Expand my own family business and start a new business line.

Schools:

Wakeforest, Thunderbird, Katz, Moore, Fisher , Case Western , SMU Cox.

Thoughts on my application and choice of schools would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Peer review : Applying in Fall 2010. [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 11:56
As you may already know, your GMAT's are below your peers even for the programs you're applying to. I wonder if you have concidered retaking it again at least closer to 680+ would greatly improve your chances. Secondly, you did mention your company operates out of the US, are you located in the US? That I believe would also help your chances, if not I think you need to work on creating a distinction of yourself besides the stats and clubs listed since nothing stands out dramatically and being 24 with only 1 year experience is not gonna help your application too much.

Although on the brighter side, the programs you have listed are concidered less competetive so I would definitely try to apply. But again I would work on differenciating yourself a little more since your responsibilities are very similiar to your peers.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Peer review : Applying in Fall 2010. [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2009, 12:26
No, I am based in India.
And currently I am into my family business for past one year. And ,since I intend to join in 2010, i will have 3 years of work ex.
Still if you can give specifics as how i can differentiate my self it would be most welcome.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Peer review : Applying in Fall 2010. [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2009, 07:27
That would be hilarious if I can give you specifics on how you can differentiate yourself without even knowing anything about you. but trying to be constructive I will try to give you what I think, these are definitely my 2 cents and there is probably a million things you can do.

Plus for you is that you have a family business which you can leverage and you have time. To improve you chances

[*]You really should try to get above 700 on the GMAT, this would open alot more doors.
[*]Build some unique EC's, there are alot of Engineers from india but if you can really create some social change that has some big influence it will help you stand out, and since you have time, this would be something you should leverage. (on a side not, if it's something that the US knows of, say Red Cross or WHO, habitate for Humanity, it maybe easier to describe)
[*]Your Goals needs to be very strong. (I'm not sure why MBA for someone in your situation, although the plus side is your not consulting or IB, which is overdone)

Again this is just what I can come up with in 3 minutes, I think you should really spend the next year figuring out what you want and how to get there.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Peer review : Applying in Fall 2010.   [#permalink] 18 Sep 2009, 07:27