Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 21:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS? [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 15:35
Hi everyone,

Been learning a lot from reading these forums. I was hoping you all would do me the favor of looking at my profile and letting me know if I've got a shot at HBS (my target), or any of the other top schools. I'm planning to apply to HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Booth, and Kellogg. Would really appreciate any advice you guys have in terms of my target schools, what I should highlight in my essays, and whether you think I've got a shot, or what I need to strengthen.

GMAT 770 (49Q, 48V, 6.0 AWA).

I'm caucasian, from Canada, but moved to the U.S. when I received a full academic scholarship to study at a top 20 private institution in US. Overal GPA was 3.6 in college, but I had a 3.9 GPA in my major (Accounting). During college I worked part-time for the business school alumni relations department, and played hockey for the ice-hockey team (3-4 nights per week). I also mentored 3 underpriviledged inner city children at a magnet school in the area. I interned in Oil & Gas for two summers during college. One summer I worked on a revenue verification project and found the company over 2 million dollars in owed-revenue. I also interned in public accounting.

Out of college I worked for 1.5 years in audit at a big 4 public accounting firm, where I was informally promoted to senior 1 year ahead of schedule. Got my CPA and moved in to corporate finance at a fortune 100 consumer products company. Been at that company since, and will be 3 years at matriculation. I expect a level promotion before matriculation. Worked on two high profile projects, one of which involved me travelling to 5 cities in the U.S. to teach Finance to an entire organization. The other was a large scale Business Process Outsourcing project, where I played an active role in bid-analysis modelling.

Outside of work I am the team manager and player on two seperate recreational hockey teams. My EC's were limited while in public accounting, but I have volunteered sparingly at Special Olympics, inner-city schools, etc. I would say my EC's, especially service related are not as strong as they should be. I haven't started any charitable organizations and I don't work at a soup kitchen every weekend...but I would say that service is important to me, and I do intend to spend more time doing charitable work (for my own benefit, not for school apps).

So, what do you guys think? Do I have a shot, or am I missing something "extraordinary" from my profile.

Again, thanks so much for any help you guys can offer! :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS? [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2009, 22:27
Looks very impressive. However I feel you might be short on the number of years of experience. If you could wait for couple of more years, and write impressive essays, you might have a shot.
my two cents.
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 5

Re: Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 02:25
I think you have a great shot and would encourage you to apply this year! HBS likes younger people from what I hear. Also, I think the sweet spot is to apply after 2 years of WE, so you have 3 by the time you matriculate. Some people wait to gain the right experiences, but it sounds like you're there...

Good luck! :)
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS? [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 07:27
You are at a good position for HBS, they do look for students with higher potential and less work experience.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 17:14
you have a great shot IMO. i wouldnt worry about the experience, as HBS likes them young now. the only thing you should stress in your apps is how you stand out vs all the other accounting/finance people out there.

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS? [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 11:11
Definitely apply. Your profile sounds very impressive and as long as you can handle an interview then you should be golden. Your only flaw that I see is that you like hockey. ;) U.S.A... U.S.A... U.S.A...
Re: Peer Review - Do I have a shot at HBS?   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 11:11