Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Dec 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer review - early career applicant

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Peer review - early career applicant [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2009, 22:05
What are my chances with the profile below?.

I'm an early career applicant (will have 2 years of experience when I start):
3.5 undergrad GPA in Chemistry, minor in Econ from Dartmouth
760 GMAT (50Q/45V)
US Citizen, 24, Vietnamese-American
Will have 2 years of work experience in operations research consulting (analyst/jr. associate level) by the time I start next fall:
-managed large portions of projects
-helped create new offerings for projects
-participated in sales work (presentations/conference calls)
-presented to executives/C-levels on engagements
-did some consulting gigs internationally

My list:
HBS
Stanford
Wharton
Kellogg
Booth
Sloan
Columbia
Tuck
Stern
Cornell
Yale

I know it's an uphill climb with only 2 years of experience. Any thoughts on my chances as I stand now, in terms of safety/target/reach? As an aside, do you have any thoughts on my chances if I apply w/ 3 years of experience (by waiting an extra year)? I may be up for a promotion to senior analyst if I stay an extra year. Do you think that would matter?

Last edited by hello313 on 20 Oct 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

Re: Peer review [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 06:37
You have good acads and GMAT score.Your work experience too seems impressive.

Since schools such as Harvard and Stanford are trending younger,you can try your luck this year.Also you did not mention any ECs.Just narrow your schools based on what you want to do post MBA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 6

Re: Peer review - early career applicant [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 11:31
Hey hello313,

I agree with Class2012 that a lot of the top bschools are trending younger and younger. However, getting into a top bschool will still be difficult with only 1+ years of work under your belt. My suggestion would be to apply to a couple this year, but be too upset if you don't get in. Although you are a stong applicant there are plenty of people out there with 2 years of more impressive work experience. If it doesn't work out you can always reapply as schools are often more lenient with reapplicants.
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 25

Re: Peer review - early career applicant [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 11:41
I think you should apply. Are you female by any chance? You minority profile will be very attractive to HBS. :) Write good essays and I think you have a shot.

Good luck.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Peer review - early career applicant [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 08:39
hi,

i have a similar profile as you (2 years WE, science/eng background). when you write your essays, make sure to focus on why you would contribute to the school and to the classes despite your age. also talk about what specifically you want to do post-mba, even if you're not 100% sure. make sure it relates to the work you had been doing in school and in your job. if it doesn't relate, then think of a really good reason why you want to switch (although since youre so young, that may raise some red flags - IMO it would be better to just stay with the same path you've been on).

i've only done one app so far (HBS), but i used all of the above elements in my applications and was able to get an invite, despite my age (im 23 now, will be 24 next year @ matriculation). HBS is unique in the top 10 schools that they are definitely trending younger. i think you'd have a good shot there if you can make a convincing argument as to why you belong there.

looking at your top 10 list, i'd venture to say you haven't yet put in a lot of effort as to what specific schools/programs you want to apply for :P . this is fine now, but for your essays , it's crucial that you have already done your homework about the specific schools and what programs they offer, so that you can write about SPECIFICS. just applying blindly to the top 10 programs in the country is a bad idea IMO. besides a waste of time/money in apps, you could have instead picked 3-4 schools that you know you like and concentrated your efforts on those.

finally, one big question that i've read was asked is "why get an MBA now?". it sounds like you don't have a really good reason for that (especially if you can get a promotion by staying an extra year). just something to think about. remember that your GMAT scores get saved for up to 5 years, so there's not necessarily a rush to get your app in this time around. good luck with whatever you choose

GMAT Debrief

Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: Peer review - early career applicant [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 09:45
You're going to have a good shot just about anywhere (including H/S/W). However, I would not apply to that whole list. These applications are very draining if you put in the requisite time/effort needed to put together a quality one.

You should be fine if you target only the M7 -- but split them up over 2 rounds. 4 schools in R1, 3 in R2 (if needed).
Re: Peer review - early career applicant   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 09:45