Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 12:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer review please

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Peer review please [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 13:09
Please tell me what you think of my chances

1) Basic demographic info: 30, Male, African American

2) Educational Background: Business major (small crappy school), 3.94 GPA, 640 GMAT score, M.A. in Human relations 4.0 (flagship public school), Currently a matriculating Harvard Law school student ('14)

3) Work experience: Spent 5 yrs in the Army, Promoted 4 times, deployed multiple times. Worked in JAG and managed various offices all over the world, currently interning at V30 Law Firm that mainly handles securities, finance and does corporate work. I love the work but I need a better understanding of it and of management in the civilian sector which has led me down the joint degree MBA/JD path.

4) Extracurriculars: Black law students assoc, Military big brothers, Volunteered over 500hrs at a homeless shelter, member of the United service organization and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Head of the better opportunity for single soldiers program at my former base and coached two youth sports teams.

5) Short/Long term goals: Work in Corporate/project finance at a New York Law firm, long term I want to start/particpate in a program to get inner city youth, like I was, interested in business and law, hopefully helping to increase the number of Under represented minorities at top MBA or JD programs.

6) Schools: I'm only considering HBS at this point as I'm currently enrolled at HLS and want to do the degree jointly.

Will my low GMAT sink my application. Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Peer review please [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 22:34
In short, yes, your GMAT will most likely diminish your chances at HBS. Just out of curiosity, what did you score on your LSAT?

If anything, try boosting your GMAT score to 680 or above and you should have a solid chance. And even then, like you said, it's really just harvard or bust, so if you don't have the time to retake GMAT, just go for it.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Peer review please [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2011, 22:46
bakfed wrote:
In short, yes, your GMAT will most likely diminish your chances at HBS. Just out of curiosity, what did you score on your LSAT?

If anything, try boosting your GMAT score to 680 or above and you should have a solid chance. And even then, like you said, it's really just harvard or bust, so if you don't have the time to retake GMAT, just go for it.

I took the LSAT twice my highest score was 170. I hate the GMAT so much more than the LSAT, but I plan on retaking it in August. I was thinking of taking the GRE instead. Since the rankings are based off of the Gmat do you think submitting a GRE score will increase my chances of admission?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Peer review please [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 02:15
Hello

Looking at the 2012 class profile at Harvard the students scored in the range of 550-790 in their GMAT and the median GMAT score was 730. It is considered safe you can score 700 or above.

However it is not just the academics but beyond the academics that will help you in determining your candidature. Start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application.

Also make sure in your work what you did like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc are exhibited well in your application.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

Re: Peer review please   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2011, 02:15