Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 07:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q V0
GPA: 3.36
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2011, 11:17
Hi guys,

Thanks for helping out the applicants on this forum. I gave my GMAT 2 months back and have read through a myriad of general material on admissions to US MBA programs, but I need help in determining what schools would I be a good fit for. Can you please evaluate my profile and answer the questions I have? Thanks!

My profile:
Nationality: Indian

Education
1)Indian University - Top 20 ranked engineering school
B.Tech Computer Engg : GPA 8.3/10
2)Georgia Tech, Atlanta, US [Top 10 ranked university for engg]
Masters of Science Computer Science : GPA 3.35/4
[Took 3 regular MBA courses -all A's ]
(+1 technical paper published in an Intl. Conference)

Work Experience
1)Top Computer Hardware Product company in US
Software Development Engineer
3 years in Sept 2011
+Leading a major project with Microsoft.

GMAT
750 [50Q , V41] , AWA 6.0

Extra Curriculars
1)Undergrad :
- 2 best debater awards, 2 best papers, one play
- Member of Org Committee all through 4 years for about 7-8 major college cultural and tech festivals
- Compere at college cultural and tech festivals
2)Volunteer for 10 or so community events through my employer - primarily focussed on children's education.

MBA Goal:
To move from an engineering to a Technology consulting role.

So here are some questions that I have:
1. What are the schools that I should target? I'm hoping you could point me to some sort of ranks of schools I could target. Lets assume money is not a criteria.

2. Do you think this is a competitive profile? I have 2.5 years work ex right now and would have 3.5 by the time of Fall 2012 joining but would having a MS degree compensate for that a bit?

thanks a ton!
IndigoIntention

You have to have a darkness...for the dawn to come.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 217 [1] , given: 37

Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Given your stellar academics and GMAT score (your MS will likely be discounted), you should target the top 20 schools. Spread out your chips and you should gain an admission to at least one of them, unless you screw up on your application essays and/or interviews.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 03:03
Hello

Congratulation on your GMAT score. With this score you can easily aim at top institutes like Harvard, Columbia, Wharton, Princeton, Yale etc. abroad. So we would advise you to work on your application now.

Looking at the 2012 class profile at Harvard the students scored between 550-790 in their GMAT and the median GMAT score was 730. Similarly at Wharton’s MBA class of 2012 the students scored between 650-770 in their GMAT and the median GMAT score being 720.

However most of the Indian applicants are from an engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience, so this could be a disadvantage. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 2-3 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you can put in a strong set of essays.

So make sure you highlight your academics and beyond well in your application and your profile is differentiated from the rest. Also if your part time work experience could be related to your desired course subject/subjects then it could boost your chances.

Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.
So keeping all these factors in mind evaluate where you stand and decide accordingly Also start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application.

Thanks!
Kavita Singh
FutureWorks Consulting
Pre Application Strategies|Admission Consulting |Pre-Departure Coaching|Workshops

Find out where you stand with our Free Assessment Test or drop your resume at kavita@futureworks.co.in

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 14

Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
FutureWorks wrote:
Hello

Congratulation on your GMAT score. With this score you can easily aim at top institutes like Harvard, Columbia, Wharton, Princeton, Yale etc. abroad. So we would advise you to work on your application now.

Lol, you should totally go for a Princeton MBA. You'd be first in your class for sure. :lol:

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 12:54
FutureWorks wrote:
Hello

Looking at the 2012 class profile at Harvard the students scored between 550-790 in their GMAT and the median GMAT score was 730. Similarly at Wharton’s MBA class of 2012 the students scored between 650-770 in their GMAT and the median GMAT score being 720.

However most of the Indian applicants are from an engineering background with a good 4-5 years of work experience, so this could be a disadvantage. Although it is not just the work experience that counts but also what you did there like-what were your achievements, what initiative you took, what changes you drove in your workplace etc. So if you can show that in 2-3 years you have demonstrated the skills business schools are looking for you can put in a strong set of essays.

So make sure you highlight your academics and beyond well in your application and your profile is differentiated from the rest. Also if your part time work experience could be related to your desired course subject/subjects then it could boost your chances.

Make sure you follow the ‘show rather than tell’ principle so that the admissions committee could really understand your strengths and differentiating factors.
So keeping all these factors in mind evaluate where you stand and decide accordingly Also start thinking what makes you unique and what’s that ‘hook’ that will be key to your application.

What kind of consultant doesnt know that Princeton has no MBA program.
SHOCKED!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 348

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2011, 04:34
FutureWorks wrote:
Hello

Princeton?!
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 39

Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 09:07
Wow, Princeton MBA...

My GMAT Experience: http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-debrief-770-q50-v47-115912.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750 [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2011, 17:08
This post received
KUDOS
You have very strong acads and combining it with your GMAT, adcom should have no doubt if you can handle MBA coursework. 3-4 years of work experience should help you to get some nice stories from work. Leverage your extracurricular to show that you are not just work focused but are also involved in your community. The profile has nothing in it which says why you can not target the top business schools. However, there are many applicants with profile similar to you (awesome acads, stellar GPA) that gets rejected every school. Keep in mind that your chances of success will depend on how well you execute your application.

Regarding the schools selection, look at your goals and see which schools fit the best with your goals. If you have specific companies in mind where you'd like to work after your MBA, find out which schools do they recruit from. It is difficult to go wrong with anything in top 10-15 and few of the top tech MBA programs are Stanford, MIT, Berkeley and CMU.
Re: Peer Review pls!! GMAT 750   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2011, 17:08