Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 15:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Peer Review Requested

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Peer Review Requested [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 14:54
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

My profile:

GMAT: 700 (heavily weighted towards verbal). 6.0 AWA.

3.57 GPA from top-15 liberal arts school. Magna Cum Laude, Honors in Psychology.

29 year old white male

Career mainly in marketing. Full-time job is Associate Director at a large publishing company; I have 4 direct reports and lead broad corporate initiatives. I've been promoted twice in two years in my latest company.

Regularly speak at industry trade events.

Also worked part-time as a product manager bringing a new social network to market and own my own marketing consulting business.

Not a ton of ECs: volunteer for school, musician.

Goal: leadership position in a tech company in marketing, product development, or general management.

Applying to: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Yale, NYU, Columbia, UCLA, Berkeley, Kellogg
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Peer Review Requested [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 08:59
hi - IMO your demographic is certainly not going to do you any favors (26 yrs +, white male, liberal arts) to get into HBS. unless you can write a really good essay and force them to give you another shot, i dont know if that would be the best fit.

do a little bit more research on the rest of the schools and see which ones have the strongest marketing curricula, and make those your top choices. dont spread yourself out too thin by applying to more than 4 schools as it will take time away from each of those apps - better to pick 3-4 schools and do a really good job on those apps than to apply to 8 schools and do a mediocre job on all of them.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Peer Review Requested [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 11:09
Thanks very much for the response. For better or for worse, I've already applied to all the schools listed. I'm not sure if my applications were mediocre or not; we'll have to see!

Right now, I'm definitely anxious about it. Hell, I'm worried I'm not even going to get interviews.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Peer Review Requested [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 11:12
Your stats are the average for most of the schools you applied to with the exception of Standford, which has a higher gpa. I think you should get into at least one of the schools you applied if your essays and recs are good. I do think HBS is a reach though.
Manager
Manager

Re: Peer Review Requested [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 12:30
11MBA wrote:
Your stats are the average for most of the schools you applied to with the exception of Standford, which has a higher gpa. I think you should get into at least one of the schools you applied if your essays and recs are good. I do think HBS is a reach though.

Agreed -- HBS and Stanford were the reaches.

I think my main concern now is that I'm coming from a publishing company, as opposed to something in consulting or banking. Granted, I wrote at length about how I lead team cross functionally, increased revenue through new initiatives, transformed departments in particular ways, blah, blah blah, but at the end of the day, do schools really want some guy from a book company?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Peer Review Requested [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2009, 13:37
I think there are a very diverse set of people in business school, ranging from the usual finance people to former engineers, teachers, etc. However, I think coming from a non-quant background you will need to prove that you have the ability to do well in bschool classes.

How well did you do in quant classes in undergrad? Did you even take any quant classes? Also you mentioned that you much better on the verbal part of the GMAT than the quant. Judging by your decent score you probably still did alright on the quant part. But will the skewed scores be taken by the adcom as an indicator that you're not the best candidate for bschool? I think these factors will influence the adcom's decision.

Since you already applied it's too late to change any of these factors. I think you should just relax and focus on preparing for interviews and see what happens.
Re: Peer Review Requested   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2009, 13:37