Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 13:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Penalty for leaving a question unanswered

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 07:07
Hi,

I notice that I tend to run out of time on the quant section. Although I'm trying to work on pacing, during the actual GMAT, if you have a few questions left at the end, is it better to randomly guess or to leave them unanswered?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 08:38
2leggedprophet wrote:
Hi,

I notice that I tend to run out of time on the quant section. Although I'm trying to work on pacing, during the actual GMAT, if you have a few questions left at the end, is it better to randomly guess or to leave them unanswered?

Thanks!

Blank answers have a more severe penalty than wrong answers. Never leave a question unanswered :)

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 16:50
I have also read that unanswered questions have much more severe penalty than wrong answers. One tip I received was, when you're on your last question, just click a random answer first, even if you don't click submit. GMAT will automatically choose that choice as your answer if you run out of time (as opposed to if you don't have anything picked, then the last question will be considered unanswered).
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 265 [0], given: 86

Reviews Badge
Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 18:10
sfwon wrote:
I have also read that unanswered questions have much more severe penalty than wrong answers. One tip I received was, when you're on your last question, just click a random answer first, even if you don't click submit. GMAT will automatically choose that choice as your answer if you run out of time (as opposed to if you don't have anything picked, then the last question will be considered unanswered).

I've heard the exact opposite, so I wouldn't suggest that approach unless GMAC can confirm that you won't be penalized.

SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2008, 10:25
Leaving one question blank shaves 3 percentage pt off your score. For example, if your score was 40 without skipping any questions. Leaving one question will reduce it to 37.

Intern
Intern

Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 06:10
Where did you find that figure of a 3 pt. reduction for leaving a question blank? That's very interesting.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 06:20
I think the blank questions will be regarded as wrong question. So leaving those blanks will guarantee that you got it wrong while randomly choosing an answer, you will be at least right 20% of the time.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Simon '11

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 06:25
NEVER LEAVE A QUESTION BLANK

This is said over and over again in the OG and anything official from the GMAC. There is no penalty for guessing (other than lowering your score for getting a question wrong) and a SEVERE penalty for not finishing.

Quote:
What if I don’t finish?
Pacing is critical, as there is a severe penalty for not completing.

Taken from http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/TheE ... matNEW.htm
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 74

Kudos [?]: 689 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 07:54
Each unanswered question on GMAT exam deducts your score by 3 percentage points.

for example, if your Q score was 45, one blank answer will reduce it to 42. However, wrong answer won't bring down your score as much.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Running out of time on Quant - guess or leave blank? [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2008, 08:34
Does anyone know why they impose such severe penalties for leaving an answer blank?
VP
VP
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 0

Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 01:30
I have heard that there is a penalty for leaving a question unanswered. Wht is the penalty? I mean, how does it affect the score if a question is unanswered vs it is wrong?
Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 02:27
ritula wrote:
I have heard that there is a penalty for leaving a question unanswered. Wht is the penalty? I mean, how does it affect the score if a question is unanswered vs it is wrong?

Well technically you cant leave a question unanswered AND move on to the next question because the page will force you to choose an option. The thing you have heard refers to when you end up having missed out some questions in the end because you ran out of time. In that case your score gets penalized. Here's how: say you missed the last 10 qs compared to the possibility you answered those same 10 qs wrong. Assuming everything else same before those 10 qs your score will be worse in the first scenario as compared to the second. Why: there's a reason given on mba.com "gmat questions" I think, from a mathematical point of view it is b/c your previous qs's answer (correct or incorrect) decides your next question.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 144 [0], given: 0

Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 02:38
See what GMAT has to say:
http://www.mba.com/mba/TheGMAT/PrepareF ... iesNEW.htm
…..your scores will decrease significantly with each unanswered question.

See what others say:
http://www.beatthegmat.com/penalty-for- ... 20042.html

Different people have different opinion about the penalty that GMAT imposes but everyone agrees that guessing is always better than leaving a question unanswered. Make your best guess and move forward.

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Current Student
Schools: LBS
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2009, 03:07
"You may not skip questions, and randomly guessing answers to questions at the end of each test section can significantly lower your scores,"mba.com. That said, the scenario you are talking about is one that arises at the end... i-e you don't have time to answer all the last few qs, in which case its better to guess them even if you r forced to do it without reading the qs rather than have the time finish on you. Do note that, and confirm with all the high-scorers every1 makes a startegy for the 'what-if' situation if you end up with 5 last qs and 2 mins at hand... happened to me in verbal... and as per the logic offered by the Gmat guys, its better to answer all those 5 without reading rather than answering 1 and have the time run out on your last 4 qs. thats what the mathematics of scoring dictates.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2375

Kudos [?]: 9922 [0], given: 3755

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 12:26
Expert's post
ritula wrote:

Have you tried running this scenario in GMATPrep software?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9922 [1] , given: 3755

Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2009, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I have merged this discussion with the previous one from Nov 2008 as they seem to pose the same question and compliment each other.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 19:54
I tried it in GMAT prep and you did get penalized. I looked in the opening pages of the Official Guide and saw that there is a "severe" penalty for not finishing.

Helpful GMAT Resources: GMAT Club | Official Guide GMAT Prep | MBA.com Prep | Free GMAT Prep | GMAC

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Tepper '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

Re: Penalty for leaving a question unanswered [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 21:59
You must finish. I cannot stress this enough.

You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
You must finish.
Intern
Intern

Not Finishing a Section vs Guessing All Remaining Questions [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2009, 21:31
Hi everyone,
Hoping to get some advice on my GMAT preparation.

I'm having trouble preparing for my GMAT and practicing using the GMAT Prep software. I realise that part of it is due to my time management, I can't finish all the questions in each section. I read so much about how important it is to finish all the questions in each section so I'm curious to know what the penalty system in the GMAT is like.

When time is running out, what would be the difference between getting all the remaining questions wrong in a section vs not answering all the remaining questions in a section?

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

I believe someone may have already asked the same question but I can't seem to find it. I really appreciate any help I can get.

Cheers
Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9922 [0], given: 3755

Re: Not Finishing a Section vs Guessing All Remaining Questions [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2009, 00:51
Expert's post
ic3ncok3 wrote:
Hi everyone,
Hoping to get some advice on my GMAT preparation.

I'm having trouble preparing for my GMAT and practicing using the GMAT Prep software. I realise that part of it is due to my time management, I can't finish all the questions in each section. I read so much about how important it is to finish all the questions in each section so I'm curious to know what the penalty system in the GMAT is like.

When time is running out, what would be the difference between getting all the remaining questions wrong in a section vs not answering all the remaining questions in a section?

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

I believe someone may have already asked the same question but I can't seem to find it. I really appreciate any help I can get.

Cheers

Nobody can give you a precise number - it depends on the scoring algorithm that we don't have a good understanding of and also number of experimental questions

.... but the general consensus is that you get dinged a lot harder for not finishing the section (twice as much). So, if you had math at 45 at question 32, and you had to answer the remaining 5 questions wrong, and finish math at 40, compare that to skipping the last 5 questions and getting 35 for the math section.

Founder of GMAT Club

Re: Not Finishing a Section vs Guessing All Remaining Questions   [#permalink] 25 Apr 2009, 00:51