Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Penalty for unanswer questions on GMAT prep CAT?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Penalty for unanswer questions on GMAT prep CAT? [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 20:56
Hello all,

I started studying for GMAT last week and took the GMAT prep CAT to get a baseline. In the middle of the Quant section (somewhere around question 20), I got an emergency call, so I paused the test (or so I thought). I returned and notice the test is still running with only 15 minutes left. I ultimately decided to just answer as many questions as I can, and ended up answering only 30 out of 37 total questions before time expired.

As a result, my quant score was quite bad (below 500). I know the real GMAT heavily penalize testers for not answering all questions, and I assume this works the same in GMAT prep CAT. Does anyone knows the general penalty, or how much does not answering 7 questions effect the scaled quant score? (I could retake the test again, but don't want to waste the valuable GMAT questions)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 413 [0], given: 436

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Penalty for unanswer questions on GMAT prep CAT? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 02:14
Always take the tests under real conditions. Keeping your phone on is definitely not advisable.

7 questions unanswered can result in a huge drop. There is not enough information on how every missed question relates to your score. Also, GMAT prep is the closest to the real thing. Again, no one is certain (barring the test makers) whether it is the same algorithm.

Answer to your question: it depends on at what level you were on the test when you missed those questions among other factors. GMAT penalizes you 3 percentile points for every unanswered question.

Read this post: problems-finishing-the-test-145168.html#p1163884

My Debrief | MBA Timeline - New! Stay on top of deadlines, receive recommendations for each stage, get reminders.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Penalty for unanswer questions on GMAT prep CAT? [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 04:36
I started studying for GMAT last week and took the GMAT prep CAT to get a baseline. In the middle of the Quant section (somewhere around question 20), I got an emergency call, so I paused the test (or so I thought). I returned and notice the test is still running with only 15 minutes left. I ultimately decided to just answer as many questions as I can, and ended up answering only 30 out of 37 total questions before time expired.

As a result, my quant score was quite bad (below 500). I know the real GMAT heavily penalize testers for not answering all questions, and I assume this works the same in GMAT prep CAT. Does anyone knows the general penalty, or how much does not answering 7 questions effect the scaled quant score? (I could retake the test again, but don't want to waste the valuable GMAT questions)

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question.
Re: Penalty for unanswer questions on GMAT prep CAT?   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2013, 04:36