Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Penn Law/Wharton JD/MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Penn Law/Wharton JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2007, 23:30
Hello, I'm new to this forum (and just starting my consideration of how to apply to business school) and I'm seeking any advice that I can get about how to strengthen my application. Here is my information - I am planning to apply solely to Wharton, given that I will be attending Penn Law next year (I opted to defer matriculation for one year).

First, my two greatest weaknesses: Age - 23, Years of Work Experience: 1 (will be ~1.5 when I apply next year).

Strengths: My numbers/stats (3.75 GPA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa with departmental honors in History from a top 30 undergrad [though I have taken a few calculus/comp sci courses] / I haven't taken an official GMAT yet [as I have several months left before I have to do so] but my prep test averages have been near mid-700s, and my GRE split was 690V/750M/6W - which is 95%/85%/96%). My extracurriculars in college were outstanding - I was president of my class (which meant that I played a major role in planning commencement and directed a fundraising effort that brought in approx. $100,000 from students), a member of the honor court, a member of the school's interfraternity council, and worked part-time throughout most of college. I am also an avid runner and (now) a triathlete (a lot more fun than it looks).

While my work experience is limited, it has been fairly high-stakes work at a federal regulatory agency, working on facets of anti-consumer fraud, spam detection and prevention, data security, and anti-ID theft policy, and my supervisors state that I have been astonishingly successful in tackling immense amounts of work and providing stellar quality as well. I have already thought out my essay topics and, given my strong writing skills, I should do well with these. I plan to (post law/business school) work at a firm dealing with corporate law and hope to then transition into either business consulting relating to what I have been working on post-college (ie assisting companies in ensuring compliance with safeguards/best practices relating to data security and liability) or working on similar aspects within a corporation.

Since I will be attending Penn Law, my only application will be to Wharton. Will this factor (and the fact that I am receiving a sizeable merit scholarship at Penn Law) be of help? I know that there is a Certification program from Wharton for Penn Law Students, which is indicative that they believe Penn Law students are capable of the work required at Wharton. Since I will apply during my first semester at Penn Law, would you recommend finding a recommender on the Penn Law faculty to supplement my other recommendations? Also, save for gaining further work experience, is there anything I should be doing in the mean-time. I know that it's a veritable crap-shoot, so any advice is greatly appreciated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Penn Law/Wharton JD/MBA [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2007, 16:58
jdmba2007 wrote:
Hello, I'm new to this forum (and just starting my consideration of how to apply to business school) and I'm seeking any advice that I can get about how to strengthen my application. Here is my information - I am planning to apply solely to Wharton, given that I will be attending Penn Law next year (I opted to defer matriculation for one year).

First, my two greatest weaknesses: Age - 23, Years of Work Experience: 1 (will be ~1.5 when I apply next year).

Strengths: My numbers/stats (3.75 GPA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa with departmental honors in History from a top 30 undergrad [though I have taken a few calculus/comp sci courses] / I haven't taken an official GMAT yet [as I have several months left before I have to do so] but my prep test averages have been near mid-700s, and my GRE split was 690V/750M/6W - which is 95%/85%/96%). My extracurriculars in college were outstanding - I was president of my class (which meant that I played a major role in planning commencement and directed a fundraising effort that brought in approx. $100,000 from students), a member of the honor court, a member of the school's interfraternity council, and worked part-time throughout most of college. I am also an avid runner and (now) a triathlete (a lot more fun than it looks).

While my work experience is limited, it has been fairly high-stakes work at a federal regulatory agency, working on facets of anti-consumer fraud, spam detection and prevention, data security, and anti-ID theft policy, and my supervisors state that I have been astonishingly successful in tackling immense amounts of work and providing stellar quality as well. I have already thought out my essay topics and, given my strong writing skills, I should do well with these. I plan to (post law/business school) work at a firm dealing with corporate law and hope to then transition into either business consulting relating to what I have been working on post-college (ie assisting companies in ensuring compliance with safeguards/best practices relating to data security and liability) or working on similar aspects within a corporation.

Since I will be attending Penn Law, my only application will be to Wharton. Will this factor (and the fact that I am receiving a sizeable merit scholarship at Penn Law) be of help? I know that there is a Certification program from Wharton for Penn Law Students, which is indicative that they believe Penn Law students are capable of the work required at Wharton. Since I will apply during my first semester at Penn Law, would you recommend finding a recommender on the Penn Law faculty to supplement my other recommendations? Also, save for gaining further work experience, is there anything I should be doing in the mean-time. I know that it's a veritable crap-shoot, so any advice is greatly appreciated

jdmba2007,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Just now saw your post; not sure what happened. You look very strong, so if you get the GMAT score you mentioned you should have a decent chance. B-schools are skewing younger these days so outstanding young applicants like you, who can explain why they need the dual degree, as you can, do get in. I don't know if you have time for community involvement, but if you do, getting some good leadership experience outside of work might give your Wharton application a knockout punch. Once you demonstrate to Wharton that you have the qualifications for admission to Wharton and a good reason for needing the MBA, then, yes, your Penn Law admission is a plus, perhaps even a major one. A Penn Law recommender is a good idea as a supplemental letter but don't use it to displace a letter from your manager at your current position and a letter detailing your undergrad leadership.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2007, 15:20
Sounds good - thanks!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2007, 01:01
jdmba2007 wrote:
Sounds good - thanks!

You're welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter