Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Penn (Wharton)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2007, 19:59
irabor1985 wrote:
As far as I know abt Wharton/Lauder joint program, English has to be your primary/first/native language. I'm from Russia myself and I was checking that program too, but finally got to the conclusion that I'm not eligible. Advice: check out the class 2006 and class 2005 profile and see who entered Russian program (most of those guys grew up in the U.S.)

Wrong. No such thing. English does not have to be your native language.

For example, I met a Chinese lady at Wharton last week who is doing the joint Lauder/Wharton degree. Her native language is Chinese, and she is going back to China next year.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2008, 10:12
You cannot be a native speaker of the language you are applying for. However you may apply if you are considered a "heritage speaker" - meaning you moved from Russia to the US at age 10 and your Russian is not completely fluent. You would have to speak to the Lauder adcom to get the details on eligibility. Most of it has to do with your OPI score.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 16:41
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
Hey, guys
I just discovered that Wharton has a joint MBA/MA program. I'm from the Ukraine and even though Russian is not the official language in my country, I speak Russian fluently. Does anyone know if it's easier to get accepted to a joint program versus a normal MBA?
Thanks

The Lauder Official Site states the following:

Quote:
-I’ve heard that the acceptance rate is higher for Lauder than for the regular pool of applicants. Why?

On average, the Lauder Institute receives hundreds of applications for a class size of approximately 50-55 students, while Wharton receives thousands of applications for a class size of 800 students; thus the yield rate for Lauder is higher than for Wharton.

Would anyone have more details such as the acceptance rate? I heard that this rate is higher for German and Russian programs. Is that true?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2008, 16:42
lumone wrote:
Sergey_is_cool wrote:
Hey, guys
I just discovered that Wharton has a joint MBA/MA program. I'm from the Ukraine and even though Russian is not the official language in my country, I speak Russian fluently. Does anyone know if it's easier to get accepted to a joint program versus a normal MBA?
Thanks

The Lauder Official Site states the following:

Quote:
-I’ve heard that the acceptance rate is higher for Lauder than for the regular pool of applicants. Why?

On average, the Lauder Institute receives hundreds of applications for a class size of approximately 50-55 students, while Wharton receives thousands of applications for a class size of 800 students; thus the yield rate for Lauder is higher than for Wharton.

Would anyone have more details such as the acceptance rate? I heard that this rate is higher for German and Russian programs. Is that true?

They don't release this information.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 243 [0], given: 4

Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 11:27
EX10XL wrote:
You cannot be a native speaker of the language you are applying for. However you may apply if you are considered a "heritage speaker" - meaning you moved from Russia to the US at age 10 and your Russian is not completely fluent. You would have to speak to the Lauder adcom to get the details on eligibility. Most of it has to do with your OPI score.

Whats the OPI score?

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: Wharton/Lauder MBA/MA joint program [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2008, 14:21
bmwhype2 wrote:
EX10XL wrote:

Whats the OPI score?

A language test (http://www.languagetesting.com/acad_opi.htm) that is required for the MBA/Lauder application.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Re: Penn (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2009, 17:38
I'm planning to apply to the Wharton/Lauder program (my language will be Russian). I had a few questions for the forum members:

1. Has anyone taken the OPI for any of the languages? What type of questions (in general) do they ask?

2. Does anyone know of students/alumni who are going through or have completed the program?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Penn (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 15:01
This question is really more for the original topic of the thread than the last several posts, but here goes: I was wondering if anyone had any perspective on the culture of Wharton. Several of the other ultra-elite/elite finance-focused schools have reputations for having very competitive environments, i.e. Chicago, Columbia, etc. I haven't heard quite the same thing about Wharton. Would you say that the same is true of Wharton or not?

Of course, I'd like to evaluate this on a campus visit at some point, but that's off in the future.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (accepted), Tuck (waitlisted-withdrawn),UCLA (dinged)
WE 1: 10 Creative Advertising/Entrepreneurship
WE 2: 3 Web development

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Penn (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2010, 14:03
jsmith54 wrote:
This question is really more for the original topic of the thread than the last several posts, but here goes: I was wondering if anyone had any perspective on the culture of Wharton. Several of the other ultra-elite/elite finance-focused schools have reputations for having very competitive environments, i.e. Chicago, Columbia, etc. I haven't heard quite the same thing about Wharton. Would you say that the same is true of Wharton or not?

Of course, I'd like to evaluate this on a campus visit at some point, but that's off in the future.

Wharton undergrad is competitive. Wharton MBA is collaborative. There is a grade curve but people aren't very grade focused because they have grade non-disclosure policy which discourages from students talking about their grades with employers. A lot of the coursework is done with learning teams of 6 students.

Wharton has the most surprisingly friendly, helpful students of any MBA program.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Penn (Wharton) [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2012, 17:38
Good idea, I think to incorporate these links in the future.
Re: Penn (Wharton)   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2012, 17:38