Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Jul 2014, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 58

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 06:47
neeshpal wrote:
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

(A) but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(B) but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(C) but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(D) but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(E) but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
B

I initially looked for a split in "creator's" but every sentence had that. Then I looked for the pronoun "their" but each sentence had that.

I eliminated C and E right off the bat after reading the sentences because of awkwardness and meaning change.

I chose B because PEOPLE is the plural form and "no one" is a singular indefinite pronoun.
So People & None made sense for me.

I'm trying to not just answer the problem but to explain how I came up with my answer. If I am incorrect or you have a better method please PM me your thoughts. Thanks!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 07:06
i too will probably do the same. can't distinguish b/w A and B

this time, we play for keeps

Intern
Intern
Status: "You never fail until you stop trying." ~Albert Einstein~
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 23:25
People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, disquieting, sometimes gruesome works of art, but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

(A) but [strike]no one[/strike] can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(B) but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

People || none ftw because both refer to plural subjects
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2011, 23:34
adisinha2000 wrote:
Really, I cant decide between A and B. If it comes down to choosing I would probably just flip a coin .

Hey adisinha2000,

don't flip a coin. here is my explanation it might help you.

none is implied for plural where as no one is used in singular sense.

here , in A & B, both sentences has used "Creators" which is plural.
(A) but no one can dispute their creators’ mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(B) but none can dispute their creators’ mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

so, choosing A is a better option n grammatically correct also.

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD,IIMA,IIMB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 01:44
It's A for me

Posted from my mobile device Image

Manager
Manager
Status: A continuous journey of self-improvement is essential for every person -Socrates

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 14

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 04:01
I got the correct answer in first try but not with any logic. Just second sounds better to me. Is someone having any good explanation????
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 19:39
I think its A. Please post the OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 10:17
I think it's B. None carries the parallel structure demanded by the question

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 17:51
I think it should be A, no fits better than none.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 04:30
the answer is definitely B.

in A "no one" basically points out to single person, whereas the sentence is talking about "people" therefore " none" would suit the best.
Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2012, 07:48
Both A & B are grammatically correct, None is a better usage though.

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 6

Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 05:37
Not sure about the source of this question, but is the GMAT likely to ask test-takers to distinguish between such trivial things as "no one" and "none" in the contexts seen in answer choices A and B?

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

Last edited by OldFritz on 24 Jan 2013, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 82

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 06:06
icandy wrote:
x2suresh wrote:
neeshpal wrote:

A. but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
B. but none can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
C. but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
D. but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
E. but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

clearly between A and B.

both gramatically sounds perfect.. B is concise.

It is not a Q of brevity here.

no one clearly refers to person

none can refer to any thing. none of them would be a different way of using none to refer to people

no person is not needed because we dont need to prove that no one refers to a person

Hence A

I chose D because of parallelism. This is a good explanation and I am shocked by the subtlety.

kudos are appreciated

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 75

Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 06:13
neeshpal wrote:

(A) but no one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(C) but not a one can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(D) but no person can dispute their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.
(E) but none can dispute to their creators' mastery of the paintbrush as a blunt instrument.

B

According to the question, the aesthetic merits are already in question by the people....we must continue with the people who are criticizing or questioning.
"None" will point out or refer to someone among the "people" , which is already the criticizing force.If we use "no one" that would mean that apart from the "people" there may be some one who can dispute the mastery of the art.
Close (B) &(E)
In (E) " dispute to " is incorrect, so (B) wins

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 118

Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 14:37
neeshpal wrote:

B

In written English, none is always more formal than no-one or no person.
Also, none is more concise.
People // none.
B is correct.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: sc - No one - None [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 20:33
I am not able to understand difference between none and no one. Can someone from GMAT verbal expert team explain why B is right and other answer choice are wrong .
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought, [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 13:00
it is A. The none is used as a pronoun, which refers to the previous subject people. It has to be plural not singular " no one"
Re: People can debate the aesthetic merits of these overwrought,   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2014, 13:00