Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 00:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People cannot be morally responsible for things over which

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
People cannot be morally responsible for things over which [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 04:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
People cannot be morally responsible for things over which they have no control. Therefore, they should not be held morally responsible for any inevitable consequences of such things, either. Determining whether adults have any control over the treatment they are receiving can be difficult. Hence in some cases it can be difficult to know whether adults bear any moral responsibility for the way they are treated. Everyone, however, sometimes acts in ways that are an inevitable consequence of treatment received as an infant and infants clearly cannot control, and so are not morally responsible for, the treatment they receive.
Anyone making the claims above would be logically committed to which one of the following further claims?
(A) An infant should never be held morally responsible for an action that infant has performed.
(B) There are certain commonly performed actions for which no one performing those actions should ever be held morally responsible.
(C) Adults who claim that they have no control over the treatment they are receiving should often be held at least partially responsible for being so treated.
(D) If a given action is within a certain person’s control that person should be held morally.
(E) No adult should be held morally responsible for every action he or she performs.

Plz post answer only if you can explain- for the education of person like me!!

Regards, S

SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 06:34
if (B) is right then I will explain my logic.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 07:27
anandnk wrote:
if (B) is right then I will explain my logic.

I am afraid B is not right unless I have got wrong answer. Please feel free to explain as with these qs I really feel my CRs are below par.
S

Regards, S

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 07:44
I struggled to choose between B and D. I picked up D. I can explain the logic.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 08:11
"D".....had to pick bet "A" and "D"...I pick "D"....will explain if correct.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 08:15
i would pick D too . explanation will follow if the answer choice is correct..
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 08:29
Why not A?

OA? :oops:
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 08:33
OA is E. Can anybody explain this plz?
S

Regards, S

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 08:50
wow ! "E" .....I think in retrospect, the term "further claims" is the key, I think we r to look for claims that can be logically made based on the para but this claim can't already be a part of the stem, has to be something new. I think all choices r either already in the stem or out of scope. Lookig at "E" makes sense now, clearly summarizes the stem with a new claim. That's all I can think of.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 08:52
banerjeea_98 wrote:
wow ! "E" .....I think in retrospect, the term "further claims" is the key, I think we r to look for claims that can be logically made based on the para but this claim can't already be a part of the stem, has to be something new. I think all choices r either already in the stem or out of scope. Lookig at "E" makes sense now, clearly summarizes the stem with a new claim. That's all I can think of.

(E) was my second choice. But I felt (E) is going too far with the claim.
(D) I felt was implied in the argument.
I endedup choosing (B)
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 09:02
anandnk wrote:
banerjeea_98 wrote:

(E) was my second choice. But I felt (E) is going too far with the claim.
(D) I felt was implied in the argument.
I endedup choosing (B)

U r right, "D" is implied and I chose that becose I didn't pay attention to what the stem is asking, I thot it was asking which one of the choices is also true. Bet B and E I wud have picked E, provided I paid attention. What was ur reasoning for "B"? "Commonly performing actions" seems to be ambiguous in "B". :oops:
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 09:05
banerjeea_98 wrote:

U r right, "D" is implied and I chose that becose I didn't pay attention to what the stem is asking, I thot it was asking which one of the choices is also true. Bet B and E I wud have picked E, provided I paid attention. What was ur reasoning for "B"? "Commonly performing actions" seems to be ambiguous in "B". :oops:

Well I ignored the phrase "commonly performed". All I thought was it is always true that some actions (but not all) can be blamed on the treatments received as infants and hence cannot be used against the youth.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 19:14
it just passed above my head.. somebody please explain all choices and how to approach this question.. :roll:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2005, 22:36
:lol: When I read this question I just knew that it has to be E. I haven't even really read the other four choices. I'll read it more carefully tomorrow and give a better explanation than gut feeling. ;)
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2005, 13:50
HongHu wrote:
:lol: When I read this question I just knew that it has to be E. I haven't even really read the other four choices. I'll read it more carefully tomorrow and give a better explanation than gut feeling. ;)

Hi
Hey I know this feeling. When u read a stem u know exactly what should follow. Many times we cannot explain it but we just know. Even if we comeup with an explanation, it will not be the one we had thought of.
Isn't brain so amazing. :roll:

jpv wrote:
it just passed above my head.. somebody please explain all choices and how to approach this question.. :roll:

I wish I could help you. Just follow the way I have broken down the argument in the following post and see if you could do the same. It is ok not to get the answer right but if you caould just break the argument into logical pieces you will soon endup getting the answer right.

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=14440

May be I will later break down this argument as well.

Cheers,
Anand.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Morality [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2005, 15:26
This is a typical argument, so typical that I know what it would follow after the first sentence.

It goes like this: People can't be responsible for things they can't control. Every action is the consequence of previous treatment one receives. And the previous treatment is a consequence of the even earlier treatments. So you trace back to infant. And you can't be responsible for anything when you are an infant. Such you can't be responsible for any actions now, since they are all consequences of the treatment you received when you are a infant.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Morality [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2005, 16:22
Well I dont completely agree with you folks on this one.

Everyone, however, sometimes (not always ) acts in ways that are an inevitable consequence of treatment received as an infant and infants clearly cannot control, and so are not morally responsible for, the treatment they receive.

It is not necessary to agree with the OA always.

What I dont like about the OA is the choice of words.

E) No adult should be held morally responsible for every action (I would like it to be some of the actions) he or she performs.

Then again you folks might jump at me and say "hey the argument is clearly saying that" Determining whether adults have any control over the treatment they are receiving can be difficult.
True but difficult does not mean impossible. I am not a lawyer and dont want to be one. So I dont care much for this CR or these types of CRs anyway.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR Morality [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2005, 09:10
I am getting A as the answer.

The stem that strongly supports A is "infants clearly cannot control, and so are not morally responsible for, the treatment they receive."

I feel A is derived from the above stem without any ambiguities.

saurya_s wrote:
People cannot be morally responsible for things over which they have no control. Therefore, they should not be held morally responsible for any inevitable consequences of such things, either. Determining whether adults have any control over the treatment they are receiving can be difficult. Hence in some cases it can be difficult to know whether adults bear any moral responsibility for the way they are treated. Everyone, however, sometimes acts in ways that are an inevitable consequence of treatment received as an infant and infants clearly cannot control, and so are not morally responsible for, the treatment they receive.
Anyone making the claims above would be logically committed to which one of the following further claims?
(A) An infant should never be held morally responsible for an action that infant has performed.
(B) There are certain commonly performed actions for which no one performing those actions should ever be held morally responsible.
(C) Adults who claim that they have no control over the treatment they are receiving should often be held at least partially responsible for being so treated.
(D) If a given action is within a certain person?s control that person should be held morally.
(E) No adult should be held morally responsible for every action he or she performs.

Plz post answer only if you can explain- for the education of person like me!!

Awaiting response,

Thnx & Rgds,
Chandra

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2006, 20:54
I get the OE for the OA.

But can anyone negate D.

The problem is I got locked onto D and then hurriedly read E