Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People cannot devote themselves to study of natural

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
People cannot devote themselves to study of natural [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 16:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
People cannot devote themselves to study of natural processes unless they have leisure, and people have leisure when resources are plentiful, not when resources are scarce. Although some anthropologists claim that agriculture, the cultivation of crops, actually began under conditions of drought and hunger, the early societies that domesticated plants must first have discovered how the plants they cultivated reproduced themselves and grew to maturity. These complex discoveries were the result of the active study of natural processes.

The arguement is structured to lead to the conclusion that

a) whever a society has plentiful resources, some members of that society devote themselves to the study of natural proceses

b) plants cannot be cultivated by someone lacking theoretical knowledge of the principles of plant generation and growth

c) agriculture first began in societies that at some time in thier history had plentiful resources

d) early agricultural societies knew more about the natural sciences than did early nonagricultural societies

e) early socieites could have discovered by acident how plants they cultivated reproduced and grew
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cambridge

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 14

Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 22:54
IMO - C.
OA please.

No Execuse..

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 23:06
IMO E

GMAT is not a game for losers , and the moment u decide to appear for it u are no more a loser........ITS A BRAIN GAME

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 14:39
I am not able to select any answer. Please explain this.

a) whever a society has plentiful resources, some members of that society devote themselves to the study of natural proceses
This goes against the 1st line of the passage.

b) plants cannot be cultivated by someone lacking theoretical knowledge of the principles of plant generation and growth
This is out of scope since theoretical knowledge of principle is no where mentioned.

c) agriculture first began in societies that at some time in thier history had plentiful resources
Again this goes against 1st line.

d) early agricultural societies knew more about the natural sciences than did early nonagricultural societies
Nothing is mentioned about non agricultural societies hence out of scope

e) early socieites could have discovered by acident how plants they cultivated reproduced and grew
Since they studied hence they discovered something so how can we say that it was discovered accidentally?

Totally confusing for me...plz help
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 16

Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 14:58
C

If you like my post, a kudos is always appreciated ;)

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 17:38
C is answer
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 19:31
sagarsabnis wrote:
I am not able to select any answer. Please explain this.

This goes against the 1st line of the passage.

This is out of scope since theoretical knowledge of principle is no where mentioned.

This is where I differ. Study happens when people have leisure.Leisure is when resources are in plenty.Earlier societies discovered this phenomena.That means they had leisure and hence did study.Implies that resources are in plenty..

Nothing is mentioned about non agricultural societies hence out of scope

Since they studied hence they discovered something so how can we say that it was discovered accidentally?

This will help help

Yahooooooooooo I am back with a bang now !! Final showdown in a couple of days !!

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 16:22
I think its A but C makes sense too. Can any one explain why C is preferred over A
VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 136 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 18:49
dmetla wrote:
I think its A but C makes sense too. Can any one explain why C is preferred over A

This is where I differ. Study happens when people have leisure.Leisure is when resources are in plenty.Earlier societies discovered this phenomena.That means they had leisure and hence did study.Implies that resources are in plenty..

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 21:52
early societies that domesticated plants must first have discovered how the plants they cultivated reproduced themselves and grew to maturity
I go with C. It supports this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 01:35
I was stuck between B and C. I'd have gone for C (now that the answer is posted), because the author agrees that cultivation started when resources were less, but contends that the principles were understood before. Looking at the first sentence, one can infer that they were learned at the time of abundant resources.

The word 'agriculture' made me hesitant, but I had prephrased conclusion consisting of 'resourceful times'. So, I selected C. On the second though, B looks a bit extreme.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 02:19
IMO C

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 02:22
IMO C

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Re: CR People cannot devot themselves to study of   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2010, 02:22