Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 12:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

People have been quick to either condemn or praise the use

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
People have been quick to either condemn or praise the use [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 09:29
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

17% (00:00) correct 83% (01:26) wrong based on 6 sessions
People have been quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war, some saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, while some others admitting that it was an inevitable act that put an end to one the most repressive regimes of the world

(A) quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war, some saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, while some others

(B) quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war, some saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, but

(C) quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war; they say that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century,

(D) Quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war; while they say that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, they are also

(E) either quick to condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war; while they are saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, they are also

(personal collections - OA and OE after a while)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 12-27-2011
WE: Law (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 37

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: People have been quick [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
i can see no other answer than A and B, thogh i have problems with it. i thought it was A, but chose B.

(A) quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war, some saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, while some others (others is not needed)

(B) quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war, some saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, but (seems right. people condemn or praise, and some just realistic-it was a dark event but necessary)

(C) quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war; they (same as d . they should be divided to2 groups) say (should be saying) that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century,

(D) Quick to either condemn or praise the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war; while they say (it's not parallel to admitting) that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, they are also (+ does not make sense. some praised and some condemned. so they can not relate to those who condemned)

(E) either quick to condemn or praise (quick to either) the use of nuclear bomb by the US in the second world war; while they are saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, they are also (same as d- does not make sense)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 21

Re: People have been quick [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 10:22
indeed it is tough question
Let me give a try,

A-seems two groups sharing different views- Incorrect
B-Correct, because on some are saying & admitting this view
C-they say that is Not parallel with admitting-Incorrect
D- they say that is Not parallel with admitting-Incorrect
E- Very long sentence, seems incorrect, as Quick to should modify both condemn & praise

please provide OA & OE
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: People have been quick [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 13:29
I'm guessing A.

It states people "either condemn or praise" so i feel the "some saying" and "while some others" points this distinction out.

Please give OA. Curious. Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT Date: 12-07-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 4

Re: People have been quick [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 23:46
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with A.
Because in B the sentence "some saying that it was one of the darkest events of the 20th century, but admitting that it was an inevitable act" is pointing to same group of people. If there was "others" after "but", the sentence would have separated the 2 groups.

C and D can be ruled out because of NOT being parallel.
E can also be ruled out for not being idiomatic (it should be "either quick to condemn or to praise") also there is no separation between 2 groups
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [1] , given: 37

Re: People have been quick [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 00:48
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with A here.

There are two groups : one group condemning ; one group praising. B seems to suggest that there was only one group.

Crick
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1701 [0], given: 249

Premium Member
Re: People have been quick [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 01:09
Expert's post
The OA is indeed A for the very reasons many have pointed out

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership